What do you call this side effect?

I have a new cocktail this week:

Topamax 25mg bid

Equetro (Tegretol) 200mg bid

Seroquel 100mg bedtime

The Seroquel was increased from 50, and the Tegretol is brand new.

Each morning, after the Topa and Tegretol I feel *similar to* drowsy but I don't fall asleep. Instead, I sit in the recliner or lay on the couch with my eyes slammed shut for about 2 hours, but I am aware of what is going on around me and I can carry on a conversation. There is nothing 'wrong' with my eyes, they just feel heavy. But I definitely don't go to sleep. I can't look at my kids' homework or read or watch TV, but I can answer questions. WTH is this? I have never experienced anything like it.

TIA!

I have a new cocktail this week:

Topamax 25mg bid

Equetro (Tegretol) 200mg bid

Seroquel 100mg bedtime

The Seroquel was increased from 50, and the Tegretol is brand new.

Each morning, after the Topa and Tegretol I feel *similar to* drowsy but I don't fall asleep. Instead, I sit in the recliner or lay on the couch with my eyes slammed shut for about 2 hours, but I am aware of what is going on around me and I can carry on a conversation. There is nothing 'wrong' with my eyes, they just feel heavy. But I definitely don't go to sleep. I can't look at my kids' homework or read or watch TV, but I can answer questions. WTH is this? I have never experienced anything like it.

TIA!

Do you have full motor control? Are you able to open your eyes if you have to?

I could open my eyes, but it took so much effort that I didn't do it very much. I could see big stuff like my kids or furniture, but not details. Blurry. It kinda freaked me out feeling outta control, b/c I never could have driven or taken care of them in an emergency. But in general, it was a pleasant, relaxed 'state'.

I have looked thru the side effect sheet several times...the detailed pharmacy one...and nothing quite describes it.

Thanks.

i don't know a name for it, but i think you're describing something i've had before too. i always just called it being a "twilight zombie", because i'd stay awake all night like that.

i don't think it is really being awake or asleep. i think you're in a very relaxed state, almost like a trance, in a lower brain-wave pattern. we go through the different brain wave cycles on our way down to delta, where we are when we sleep. maybe you're just not there but a bit above it.

talk to your pdoc. maybe you need a higher dose of seroquel if you want to sleep. most people get tired on the lower seroquel doses, but for me it was the higher ones. i'd say experiment with it. i don't know about tegretol. i've never actually taken it (one of the few i haven't been on, lol).

loon

Thanks, loon!

I actually 'fixed' it today. I woke up 2 hours early to take my meds, went back to sleep, and by the time I woke up, the 'trance' was apparently over. Since I have been awake, I have been up doing stuff with no problem ;)

BTW, how you worded it...'trance'...is the best description to describe it! I see my pdoc again Tuesday.

I think they should have US write the damn PI sheets! They would be a hell of a lot more accurate!

heehee

FYI, when I was going up on Tegretol I experienced an intense drowisness that wasn't quite sleepiness. I would end up lying on the couch just staring or with my eyes shut mind adrift for a couple of hours.

For me that went away as either a) I got used to the med, or B) I increased the dose to 400-500 mg. Either way it was about a week and a half or so.

HTH,

cache-monkey

All I know is I went from a very nice hypomanic state (which my pdoc has been trying to talk me into dealing with for over a year and I finally gave in)......

...to a deep depression that seemed to knock me on my ass yesterday. Occas anxiety/panic, a lot of tears, and just staring at the wall wishing everyone would leave me alone. (Don't tell my kiddos or dh that.)

And feeling a lot (okay, more than a lot...) of rage and anger. Looking into hospitalization. I'm starting to not feel too safe and eyeing the power drill. But I made a contract today with tdoc lasting until Thurs when I see pdoc.

Seizure activity (?)

I'll have to go read s'more.

Thanks.

I'm curious about the topamax? Are you just starting that? Is there a target dose then? There's anecdotal evidence (including mine) that it can be good for forms of out-of-the-blue, seemingly uncontrollable rage, the type that anger management classes don't seem to touch. Works quite well for me. To the point where a couple months ago I insisted on restarting it, even though it doesn't interact too well with the lithium.

Just something to take into consideration, maybe the whole rage thing is just a mixed state/depressed irritabitlty thing (um, always wondered why they call it "irritibality" when it's often so much more? Whatever...).

Anyways maybe some things to think about. I'm glad you're seeing your pdoc so soon.

I'm curious about the topamax? Are you just starting that? Is there a target dose then? There's anecdotal evidence (including mine) that it can be good for forms of out-of-the-blue, seemingly uncontrollable rage, the type that anger management classes don't seem to touch. Works quite well for me. Anyways maybe some things to think about. I'm glad you're seeing your pdoc so soon.

I insisted on the Topamax. Pdoc shook his head like huh-uh, no way. But I seriously insisted. I said 'Look, it is sposed to help with PTSD, bingeing (I was doing this daily and it was outta control), and my headaches...PLEASE!' More as a demand than a request. He said there is no real evidence that it works as a mood stabilizer. I said let me give it a chance, and then I will try what YOU want.

So I took it for a week, and then agreed to the Tegretol, just to try and hurry and get to this place called 'normal' that he keeps talking about. WTH is that anyway? All I know is up or down. There is no middle ground with me. If there is I don't know or remember what it feels like.

Anyway, I have had LOTS of binge-free days the past month on it. I have only had one headache ;) The only side effect I don't care for is the word-forgetting crap...which doesn't go over well in a fast-paced hospital environment, so I'm going up sloooowwwwly.

I have been seeing pdoc weekly, b/c I'm feeling pretty unstable lately. Specially trying to work without my beloved Adderall. THAT sucks the big one.

Done rambling.

Thanks Velvet and CNS!

He said there is no real evidence that it works as a mood stabilizer.

My pdoc says that, basically, it's not shown to be good as a first-line anti-manic. He's brought up the Texas Bipolar Algorithmic Project whatever; I've posted about it before. To summarize: it has sort of "levels" for med treatment of mania and depreassion; for mania there are 7 levels, like, for level 1 you'd use lithium, moving through such things as depakote, trileptal, etc. and combinations thereof, and level 6 is electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Level 7--THAT'S when topamax is indicated.

So, yeah, lots of pdocs like to go by that algorithm, that chart--meaning they don't like to think of topamax as a mood stabilizer per se. The reason i got on it (and originally found the boards) is that I got dxed by a psychologist, who told me to get my ass straight to my gp and get on a mood stabilizer. Now, HE did NOT go be the Texas chart--he decided on topamax due to my, heh, rather excessive alcohol use. (yeah, topamax can be quite helpful in that regard) I insisted on keeping it when I started seeing my pdoc, though he didn't like the idea, but hey--it was working. i switched to lithium because the topa was too expensive, me being unemployed and all.

And now, I have topa added back in--not so much as a mood stabilizer (though it's done a wonderful job as being the last part in the anti-manic half) but again for the drinking and primarily, as I've said, for the explosive rage shit. price aside (though my current insurance does quite well) it's rather cheaper than the, er, alternative. Like, say, busted doors, holes in walls, broken windows, jail...

At any rate--I've written quite a lot. BUT the short version is, it can be effective against a very tight, specific range of manic symptoms. (in my quite unprofessional, anecdotal opinion) If you feel the problem is basically an impulse, control issue--or something rather related--those things that have you running around screaming, going "why God WHYYYYY???" and other meds haven't helped (and yeah, I recommend trying other meds first, if for no other reason other than $$$$, which is precisely how it's listed on my formulary sheet), than topa could be your thing. It just takes time and often a grim determination to find out.

Topamax has let me drop half the meds i was on. It's weird. It got rid of my tourette's, RLS, smoking, drinking, some compulsions, excessive daytime sleepiness, nightmares, and I'm losing weight like crazy. I'm taking it for recurrent depression. It's not done as much there as I'd have hoped. Everything else it's done was a total surprise.

Topamax has let me drop half the meds i was on. It's weird. It got rid of my tourette's, RLS, smoking, drinking, some compulsions, excessive daytime sleepiness, nightmares, and I'm losing weight like crazy. I'm taking it for recurrent depression. It's not done as much there as I'd have hoped. Everything else it's done was a total surprise.

Did it help end the male lactation, as well? ;)

Archived