CrazyBoards.org

No more lamictal for me

Guest wileycat

I have officially given this thing the good old college try. The muscle aches and the headahces have been too much for me. I thought it might have been helping maybe or maybe that was just hope but at some point the experience turned on me.

As I told the nurse clinician I went to see after finally going in to see my therapist, who then sent me up to her, I feel like rather than stabilizing my mood, it has more or less made my mixed states into definite ups and downs for longer periods of time.

I don't know if this was a drug idiosynchrocy for me as I have prone to those with things like Haldol in the distant past.

Again, first mood stabilizer other than Lithium a long time ago.

I told the nurse too that I have been feeling really irritible on it as well and emotional and wondered if it wasn't mixing well with the methadone. She said it should not interact with that. I have not found on any of the drug interactiion web sites anythingn about methadone and some of these things. I dont see why they would not act on each other, but what do I know?

Either way, I am getting in to see my doctor earlier than August - like this Monday. I think it took some grease in the form of calling my Tdoc in tears finally. She was a big help to me. I just finally realized that Lamictal was messing me up pretty bad rather than helping. Why am I not surprised?

Are there some BP people who just cannot take mood stabilizers for one reason or another or is it just a matter of finding the right one?

Hey wiley - lamictal wasn't for me either. It made me worse instead of better. Some drugs work, others don't - you just have to keep trying. You'll find the right one. I'm glad you finally got someone to listen to you. Make a list to take to the doctor monday. It helps to have things written down. Good luck.

Millie

Guest wileycat

Thanks for letting me know your experience with it.  I am glad I am not the only one who feels it made symptoms worse, not better. I am still trying to deal with it. I am extremely emotional lately and edgey to the point where it has become intolerable. Now I guess I have to cut slowly down off of it. Can't wait.

I was on 100mg. for about three weeks or so. I couldn't wait it out any longer.

Funny thing is, my mother thought it was making my mood swings much better. Maybe at a lower does it was, but I can't afford the chance of any extra muscle pain.

You know, I was doing just fine with the Lithium + Wellbutrin.  I hadn't felt that good in ages.  I lucked out on bad side effects from Lithium--I didn't even gain weight.  I think Wellbutrin is awesome, and I hope it keeps working for me.

But then my Pdoc went to a seminar on tx of bipolar and returned with a burning desire to get me off Lithium and on Lamictal, but quick.

Man, those headaches made me want to chop my head off.  Months later, I still hated it.  Then my family tells me my memory problems are getting worse and I'm acting moody.  This is supposed to be the wonder drug for Bipolar Disorder?

I guess not for me.  When I suggested ramping down and off Lamictal, my Pdoc suggested I was having a psychotic episode and wrote out a prescription for Abilify.

For the love of Maude, can't I just stay with what worked?  These pills aren't tic tacs, doc.

Archived