CrazyBoards.org

Covert Cycling

A friend of mine pointed out some text about "covert cycling" in a book about Bipolar Disorder.

This sounds a lot like me, except I don't get hyperthemia, at least as far as I know. My Dx is schizoaffective disorder-depressed type. I've long suspected possible Bipolar. My moods tend to cycle between dysphoric mixed, blunted and adhedonic and depessed. These moods last from a couple of hours to a couple of days. Once in a while I feel "normal", but it never lasts longer than a couple of hours.

Any thoughts?

If you feel suddenly better than usual, and it is different from your normal feeling by enough for you to really notice, even if others don't, I guess that sounds like it could be what they're talking about with this "covert cycling". My cycles are much more obvious! Running away from my husband to another state and having 5 boyfriends at once while only sleeping 3 hours a night for months was a clue.

I'm not exactly sure what covert cycling means. That's why I'm posting here. I wsh I could remember the name of the book it was in.  It's something I have never heard of before.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the bipolar thing. My moods are never consistent and cycle very irregularily. (every couple of hours to every couple of days.)

I love the term.  It sounds quite familiar--"socially acceptable hypomania." 

I've got a friend who depends on socially acceptable hypomanias; she stimulates them by dropping her Depakote level and getting less sleep, and tada!  Super lawyer!  Able to leap stacks of discovery in a single bound!  Then she crashes.  Playing with fire, if you ask me.

I think most of my life before meds I had lots of 'covert cycling.'  The dysphoric manias didn't get bad until I was older.  But grad school consisted of months of depression punctuated by hypomania while I read everything and learned it all for exams.  The minute the last exam was done I'd crash and pretty much stay crashed until the next exam period.  Is that socially acceptable?

brief periods of socially acceptable hypomania occurring between depressive episodes

hmm.. "socially acceptable hypomania"... interesting idea.  It could have described me to a certain extent, in that when at a certain point in my up cycles I'd suddenly become extremely productive at work, producing results v.quickly etc.  These days my ups involve anxiety-type hysteria - panic attacks at work, passing out in people's offices... not really socially acceptable or conducive to working fast.  Unfortunately my past behaviour (indecently quick work) has led people to believe that I'm always capable of that and no-one can understand the change.

(not sure if any of that made sense - sorry; 4:20am here, in the middle of one of my lovely insomniac phases)

Archived