CrazyBoards.org

I'm sorry I've been away for a few days.  I'm going to be away for a few more; I need a life-vacation.

Current meds:  depakote at 500mg/day, klonopin at 2mg/night

Right now, I'm having a serious problem with klonopin.  I used to take 1mg nightly for sleep.  Didn't do a damn thing.  So I talked to my doc and got it upped to 2mg.  Even with 2mg, four hours later I'm laying manically, in a dark room, under blankets.  I just can't bring myself to sleeping.  I lay down, soft music, nice candles, pretty incense, the works.  No sleep for me.  I slept about three hours fitfully last night and I was so groggy this morning.

Has anyone else experienced an inability to sleep on klonopin?  Alternately, in bipolar dx comrades, has klonopin helped or hurt you?

Signed,

Sleepless in Seattle

Klonopin hasn't hurt me...I went through a 2 year stretch where I scarely slept for weeks, maybe 2 hours a night.  I was up all the time, and wasn't even sleepy in the daytime.  I started taking Xanax for anxiety, and later the pdoc switched it to Klonopin.  I only take 2 mgs, but for some reason now I sleep like a baby.  I don't think Klonopin would make me sleep, just the anxiety being quelled does.  But I'll tell you what DID make me sleep..50 mgs of Topomax.  I would take that pill and be out within 10 minutes.  The only problem was a mild grogginess the next day.  Then after a few months I accidentally ran out and found that I slept anyway without it.  It was one less med..I've never taken it since.  You might ask your doc about the Topomax...

Dan~

I take klonopin for anxiety 1-2mg during the day, depending on the day, and another 1mg, sometimes 2mg, if I am really anxious at bedtime. During the day klonopin does not make me drowsy at all. The klonopin never makes me sleepy at bedtime,  but as others have suggested it might help with the anxiety, and that probably helps me to settle down and sleep. I am on Zyprexa 10mg at night so that pretty much turns off the lights for me. Still sometimes, I can take the Zyprexa and stay awake for hours.

I have upped the klonopin when I get manic to help with the dysphoria and rage and it has helped me.

Just sharing klonopin experiences.

Erika

I'm not bipolar and I don't know much about the treatment of such (just what I've picked up here and there around these boards), so take the following w/a grain of salt.

Benzos aren't the best solution for insomnia. The sleepiness side effect is likely to go away. They are good for quieting your mind, which can help you fall asleep, but you might need something a little heavier to knock you out. Have you tried Ambien or the like?

~Sunshine

Been on Klonopin for years *anxiety attacks only*.  Been manic for two and half months *two to four hours of sleep a night if that*.  Nothing is helping me sleep.  I get to see my wonderful *very sarcastic smirk* pdoc on the 30th.  I'm sure he'll just say something non-helpful, as usual and try to hand me a script that I've already tried.  Damn that man makes me mad!  He never looks at my chart and always tries to put me back on something I've been on.  Problem is, he's the only Pdoc around this area I can go to that'll take my insurance. 

I've tried everything to help me get some sleep.  Believe me.  From relaxing music, to a nice bath with lavender bath oils, to meditation *when my mind can actually shut down long enough to meditate*, to incense, candles...you name it.  My pdoc won't put me on an actual sleeping pill because it's habit forming.  I don't blame him.  Knowing me, I'd probably abuse the damn thing.  Either that, it would work for so long, and then he'd take me off of it.  They usually do that...at least around this area.  These doctors around here have gotten into a lot of trouble for writing too many scripts for narcotics and such.  So now they're being watched over by the feds.  *shakes head*  I just don't understand small town doctors anymore.

Elizabeth

The non-benzo hypnotics are not addictive and to the best of my knowledge can't be abused. His rationale confuses me because both are true of benzos! Also Ambien, Sonata, and Lunesta are not narcotics.

They can be habit-forming (i.e., after long-term use, you might not be able to fall asleep without them), but unlike benzos, you won't have to keep increasing the dosage to get the same effect. Plus it's usually not that hard to break the habit if it does form.

Hope this makes sense. I'd push your pdoc on this. Sleep is so critical to our mental health.

No matter what I say to my Pdoc, it just goes in one ear and out the other.  Plus, like I said, he never looks at my chart.  He continually tries to start me back up on a med that I've tried out and had horrible results with *freaky side effects for the most part* and when I've told him about the lack of sleep I've been having, he won't help me out with sleeping pills.  Like I said, this area has been targeted by the feds because of certain doctors writing out too many narcotic scripts.  Now for the sleeping pills, I don't know why he won't try something like Lunesta.  I'll try, once again.  I think it's because I take Methadone PRN at bedtime for pain (which is hardly ever because I'm trying to ween myself off of it) from the pain clinic that makes him leary of putting me on anything that could be habit forming.  I don't have a clue.  I went for a whole year without a pdoc because MHMR couldn't keep a doctor.  Now they've got this yahoo, and he's just....AHHH!  I hate him.  That's a pretty harsh word...okay, I strongly dislike the man, but I have no choice but to see him.  That's the whole problem. *sighs*  I really wish there was something I could do, but when you live in a small town that is over populated with mental health cases, there's really nothing you can do.  The Pdoc in the next town isn't taking any more patients, so I'm bascially stuck.  Central, PA is a very depressed community.  There's also a lot of drugs and alcohol problems around here.  So any kind of group sessions they have to offer are triggered mainly for rehab and depression.  So if you have BP or BPD, like I do, you're kinda screwed.  *shakes head*  Wish I could move, but I can't.

Sorry to vent...I just get so frustrated with the health care system around here.

Elizabeth

edited for horrible spelling errors...sorry everyone

Archived