CrazyBoards.org

I hate my job so much that I spent 4 hours yesterday crying, because I had to work that day.

It's a fast paced cashiering job at a local grocoery store.  It's making my OCD drastically worse - I'm rinsing my hands in antibacterial and moisturizer infused water between every customer, giving me incredibly dry hands by the end of the day (and I'm not normally a compulsive hand-washer).  It's very bad for my poor sensory integration - the flourescent lights, the constant hum and beeping of the registers and customers, the constant movement of both me and everything around me, the fast-paced thinking involved are all very upsetting to me.  It's also making me much more depressed than I usually am, because all I can think about while I'm at work is how much I don't want to be there, but how much I actually need the money, and how I've never really had a job at all relating to my studies  (it hits a lot of my "never going anywhere" fears).  It hits my anxiety because I'm constantly having to deal with new and random people, and many supervisors, etc, that I feel are judging me.

I've been seriously thinking about quitting recently, and would like some input.

Quite honestly, I would recommend quitting.  The job is not good for your mental health, especially with the fast-paced aspect and the stress.

Of course, you might be getting union wages and benefits.

In what field do you have a degree?  Does it make you more employable?  If you quit your job because of your mental condition, perhaps the Department of Rehabilitation could help you find a computer job. For some reason, I could see you doing some job with computers.  My experience with DOR was less than positive, but some people have been helped.

• 3 weeks later...

antipeople, I sort of know how you feel. I detest my job. I work as a psychology associate at a juvenile prison. I feel like the job is breaking me, but I need to get my license, so I have promised myself I will stay until I earn my hours. But I hate my job so muuuch! I hate my lazy-ass boss who does jack shit other than loading everyone else down with work. I dislike the apathetic kids I work with. I hate the mold-infested building I work in. I'm sure some of the hate is related to my depression, but the rest is because I have an unfulfilling job that I get paid shit for. I never expected to be paid well as a psychologist, but I at least hope to be compensated some. My husband has suggested that I quit -I can't bring myself to do it. I want that license and if nothing else, I am stubborn as all get out. So here I sit, miserable, on the verge of tears, praying that another jobs miraculously falls in my lap (I've looked. Thanks Bush - there's no one hiring). Should I quit? My husband and I don't need the money (though it's nice), and I hate my job. But i feel like I shouldn't give up.

Archived