CrazyBoards.org

Panic and tv or news

Guest Guest_lilie_*

Guest Guest_lilie_*

Does anybody get overwhelmed when they read the news or watch tv? The stuff in the papers and on tv can get me to worrying so bad that I need a drink. I've had to limit what I watch and read to try to keep me calm but I have repetitive thoughts that follow me day and night.

Lilie

Yes, I used to walk away from the boob tube during very dramatic scenes in a movie or very anxious sporting events.

I saw my grandfather do the same thing years ago. We were watching a basketball game together and the scored was tied with only a few seconds left on the clock. I watched as he got up out of his chair, walked over to the set and turned it off! I followed him out to his front porch where he lit up his pipe and asked him why he turned the set off at such a crucial moment in the game. He told me he couldn't take it.

Now I know where my anxiety problems originated.

Oh, yeah,

I stopped watching the evening news after my son was born. Even though I wasn't all that aware of it in my own reactions, when I watched it through a child's eyes, I was horrified.

This last winter, with the double whammy of the continuing shitstorm in Iraq and then the Indonesian tsunami, I stopped reading the newspaper, magazines, watching tv, all of it. I flat coudn't take it any more. I'm just now starting to be able to pick up a paper once a week or so.

Greeny

I know that some people hate the ostrich-syndrome but that's me to a T. I don't read the newspaper, I make every attempt not to watch the news, and I avoid anything that seems like it might be stressful. I'm not always successfyl at the last one :/

My roommate watches new all the time--he's my opposite so I'll find myself watching it sometimes and will have to force myself to break away because I'm so agitated.

I do check Google news once a day to scan the headlines but I don't read any of the news stuff unless it's more on the positive side of things. I have mine set to Entertainment, Health, Science and Technology for the US and the UK.

Occasionally, I'll hit the news at the top and bottom of the hour while listening to AM radio but it's so short and so distant that it typically won't cause me stress.

I don't mind being this way much except when it comes to watching movies. Lately, all the "comedies" I've been watching end up not being very comical at all and should be labeled drama.

Ruins

I cannot stand the news! It is so depressing and gives me anxiety attacks. My boyfriend has the same problem, but is still a bit impulsive about needing to see the news. He hates it but will insist on watching it, then need Ativan and get all hyper on me. I'm not sure why he must do this!

I don't watch TV at all, only skim the headlines, and stay tuned-out for the most part. 

I find that it does just depress the hell out of me, and I'm not even certain that people were meant to be so aware of what's going on around them.  Life is overwhelming enough as it is...  If I suddenly become a millionaire I'll start keeping up with the news again, and then I'll just travel around doling out money and financing my own lobby groups.  Until then the extent of my powerlessness to change the world is not something I need to be in conscious contact with on a daily basis.

Archived