So I've been doing great on lamotrigine and zyprexa and/or amitriptyline, but I've got a ton of stress on at the moment and I'm coming a little unglued. It's coming out as rage - most of this I am working off in the gym (I'm pushing myself to the point of exhaustion most days), but it's started to flash over outside of the gym.

I just got back from the pdoc, and he wants me to think about carbamazepine as an alternative to lamotrigine, as this is good for controlling rage, allegedly.

Anyone care to comment?

I second what VE suggested - Trileptal has a very low side effect profile compared to Tegretol. I was on it for about 18 months before it pooped out, and it makes a definite difference as far as coping with mania (whatever form that takes for you) goes.

Out of curiosity, why does your doc want you off the lamictal? From what I've seen around here, BP patients are more often treated with 2 as opposed to 1 mood stabiliser. Tegretol or Trileptal will help you with your upswings, but neither is as effective with downswings - which is where the lamictal would come in.

(I'm not a doctor, etc etc, just offering my opinion)

M

Archived