CrazyBoards.org

Screaming dreams, hitting at night

Hello,

I've been diagnosed with GAD and am currently in between treatment options.  I have yet to see a psychiatrist, was being treated with Effexor but it was making anxiety worse so am in the process of weaning off of it (2 days off completely).  I've been given Serax 15mg to help me sleep at night.  I still find it really hard to get to sleep some nights, and I have really vivid, often scary dreams where I will wake up screaming and covered in sweat.  The other night, I felt almost like I was stuck between sleep and awake, but couldn't actually pull myself out of the "dream-like" state.  Apparently, I was screaming and yelling and even pounding my boyfriend repeatedly in the back, and I don't remember any of this.  Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm not sure if maybe it's just from the anxiety or the meds or what?

Thanks,

Kelly

;) I have some of the same symptoms. At times I feel like I can't wake up or that I am awake but can't move. I have some very nasty nightnmares. I can fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and jump right into REM sleep.

I am taking Provigil. It seems to help during the day. I don't self-hypnotize while I am on it. I take 60mg of Remeron for depression. I take it at night and since I have started April 1st I haven't had any symptoms.

Pretty scary sometimes, the dreams all seem so freakin' real. Bad stuff, like violence and mayhem on a grand scale. I would swear my eyes are open and I am screaming but nobody even notices. Then I wake up and don't have the foggiest idea where I am and what I am doing and why I am all sweaty and the dog is growling at me and the kid looks at me like I am an ax murderer coming to get him.

It's enought to make a guy nuts. :)  

I did a search for parasomnia and I found this:

REM Behavior Disorder

REM Behavior Disorder is the ability to act out your dreams. The obvious problem with acting out your dreams, is the potential to cause injury. All body muscles, with the exception of those used in breathing are usually paralyzed during REM (dreaming) sleep. In some cases this paralysis is incomplete or absent, thus allowing dreams to be acted out. Behavior such as this can be violent and result in serious injuries to the victim and bed-partner. After awakening the sleeper will usually be able to recall vivid dreaming. Medication is used to treat this disorder.

Does this sound like you?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this donsen't help everyone, but have you heard of lucid dreaming?

It takes work to learn how, but the few times I have managed it, I was able to turn

awful nightmares into much better dreams.

Archived