CrazyBoards.org

I am really striving to get into this ocd clinic at a key hospital and it might cost me a couple hundred bucks but I want to know if I have ocd or add or both.

Anyway, I am trying to prepare for this hopeful appt to get at least an idea of what my issue is.

So I have tried (I am cutting back my list thanks to VE, some others here, and my own reading - I never really did a full true trial of some meds...)

Prozac - took for many months up to 120mg

lexapro - took twice for a couple months

celexa took for several months - 60 to 80mg

paxil - caused me to get some weird heart beat - tried it 3 times and never made it past that - they kicked in right away and lasted for days.

The prozac helped with anxiety but not the concentration, focus, motivation, etc. issues I have

lexapro and celexa didn't do anything for anything.

So luvox apparently is the best ocd ssri - I tried it like 6 years or so ago and only for a few days. can't remember if that is the one that gave me the crazy nightmares but I am curious if anyone is taking it and how it compares to the other ssri's, like prozac, zoloft, etc.

Since this appt is just an hour I want to be organized.

thx ;)

i took it for seven years, from about 1997-2004. most of that time was the brand name i assume, until the original manufacturer discontinued the brand name, and all you could take was the generic (i think around 2002-2003)

good med. no bad side effects for me whatever (other than the usual sexual side effects and some clenching and grinding) and for most of that time my ocd was completely in check. the only killer (and i only found this out afer six years of taking it) is that it does not mix well with caffeine at all. it is metabolized by the same liver enzymes that metabolize caffeine, so for six years i was unwittingly getting a huge caffeine high any time i had any kind of soda because the caffeine stays in your system about four times as long, and the effect is amplified greatly. felt great, until caffeine just gave me huge headaches. really fucking sucks, because if it wasn't for that i'd probably be back on luvox again tommorrow, as the other ssris haven't helped me significantly.

there's also some good information about it on the crazymeds.us site. this is from that

http://www.crazymeds.us/luvox.html

Interesting Stuff Your Doctor Probably Won't Tell You: First of all, if you smoke you'll increase the metabolism of Luvox by 25%. That's out of the PI sheet, and a recent study confirms it. So you'll get more out of it and it'll make discontinuation easier. Somehow that's apt for a med that is officially approved only for OCD, as nicotine is an effective treatment for OCD, so you'll get a synergistic effect going if you're willing to risk all the crap that comes with smoking. As always when tobacco is involved I recommend cigars - way more nicotine and far less added crap. Or pipes, as you can just get a small amount of tobacco as required, and still less crap. Once again, you can tell that I'm a freak.

Secondly mixing Luvox and benzodiazepines can be really tricky. With some, like Ativan (lorazepam), there's no problem at all. But with others, like Xanax (alprazolam) and Valium (diazepam), you wind up making either or both meds work much, much better. Surprise! But you don't know how much better, and it can vary from day to day, especially with Valium, so it's not a good idea. This is spelled out in the PI sheet, but double check with your doctor and pharmacist.

Finally, and this is news to me, mixing caffeine and Luvox can be intensely unpleasant. The first study back in 1996 states, "The results indicate that intake of caffeine during fluvoxamine treatment may lead to caffeine intoxication." Your one cup of joe will suddenly become like five cups, and the effects will last six times as long. These effects have been confirmed by subsequent studies, including one that shows these effects with just 10mg of fluvoxamine. Don't mix coffee and fluvoxamine! Thanks to one this site's readers for e-mailing the first study to me.

i never tried out the nicotine theory, but yeah. its a good med, it just has some weird interactions. and it has the shortest half-life of any of the ssris (less than 24 hours) so its typically a good idea to take it twice a day.

I have read that luvox and valium don't mix well, is that true or not so much?

Interesting. I wonder if that's why I got double vision on Luvox. I was drinking quarts of coffee each day at work.

Tommy

Luvox does have an interaction with valium. It also decreases the clearance of xanax, making it more effective, which isnt necessarily a bad thing (according to my p-doc).

I have read that luvox and valium don't mix well, is that true or not so much?

Luvox does have an interaction with valium. It also decreases the clearance of xanax, making it more effective, which isnt necessarily a bad thing (according to my p-doc).

Just make sure you have the dose(s) decreased to match that fact!!! =D

(saves money anyways)

• 3 years later...
Guest David S.

I'm on Luvox (Fluvoxamine) but they are taking me off it. Not all meds are meant for everybody so you may not have the same side effects, but I got rigid muscles leading to muscle spazums, also the sexual disfunction, and also it makes me feel doped up to the point that instead of getting up at 7am I stay in bed until 9am. It also made me feel as if I was a zombie and could not think during the day (I had this headache that I could not lose until they cut back my Luvox, but I'm not sure if the Luvox caused my headache but it did go away as soon as they cut my dose down). The strangest side effect was that it caused sleeplessness during the night when they stepped me up to 150mgs, I would toss and turn all night even though I felt doped out of my mind on it (it was very hard to get out of bed in the morning and I felt mentally numb all day long). My doctor said the tired feeling would go away after a few weeks but I did not. Anyway, a nurse friend of mine said that he's heard mixed reviews of Luvox most of them negative. But like I said not all meds are meant for everybody so you may not have the same side effects that I did. Personally I don't like Luvox at all.

• 8 months later...
Guest LISALISA

bE VERY CAREFUL TAKING LUVOX,I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT SINCE I WAS 17YRS OLD THAT WAS BACK IN 97' AND IN 1999 AT AGE 19 I WENT THROUGH EARLY MENIPAUSE. I HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THE PLACE GOING TO ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF DOCTORS,NO ONE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW A 19 YR OLD CAN GO THROUGH MENIPAUSE. AT THE END THEY ALL TOLD ME THE SAME THING "IT'S THE MEDICATION I WAS ON (LUVOX) THAT CAUSED ALL OF THIS" BUT IT WORKS VERY GOOD,I USE TO NOT BE ABLE TO LEAVE MY HOUSE BECAUSE MY OCD WAS SO BAD,I JUST WISHED THE DOCTORS WOULD HAVE KNOWN THE SIDE EFFECTS BACK THEN,BECAUSE NOW IM 30 YRS OLD AND I REALLY WANT MY OWN BABY AND I CANT.THE PART THAT SUCKS IS THERE REALLY ISNT ANY PROOF I GUESS YOU CAN SAY,AND THE DOCTORS JUST DONT WANT TO GET INVOLD IN ME GOING AFTER THE LUVOX COMPANY IN COURT.

Archived