CrazyBoards.org

EMDR for BP anyone?

I was wondering if anyone who is BP has ever used EMDR as a therapy and if so, did it help. EMDR is something my tdoc specializes in. I know what the initials stand for, but nottoo much. I'm going to do some research onit soon, when I have more time, butI was wondering if anyone here has had it. Mel1

Had a look at Erika's link but still don't understand exactly what EMDR is (sorry to hijack your thread with this Mel)-- this could be 5am insomniac stupidity or just general stupidity... I am curious though.  Would anyone mind attempting to explain it to me?

Thanks!

im doing emdr right now.

i think it working but is really strange at first

i like it because i dont have to talk much

tho is physically y draining

im finding it easier to avoid triggers

and issues that used to throw my bipolar

into turbulence.

this is the only therapy that doesnt

make me want to fire my therapist

good luck with it

Years ago, when my mood disorder was first showing up, I wasn't handling stress from work very well.  I was dealing with anxiety and depression, even though life in general was really REALLY good. I wasn't ready to try meds.  I tried talk therapy; nothing.  There were no skeletons in my closet.  Well ... it did help a little bit in understanding my responses to stress, etc.  And if I'd had a better therapist and gotten into CBT it probably would have helped more. 

But anyhow ... the next time I crashed, I ended up with a very experienced therapist who was somewhat infatuated with EMDR at the time, and even though I didn't have anything traumatic to target, we tried it.  I loved it!  I came away each time feeling somehow cleansed.  It didn't help me deal with stress better in the longterm though.  Of course we hadn't reckoned with kindling.

If your tdoc thinks it would be helpful in your situation, I think you should give it a try!

Skittle, here's another link http://www.emdr.com/briefdes.htm :

the client is instructed to focus on the image, negative thought, and body sensations while simultaneously moving his/her eyes back and forth following the therapist's fingers as they move across his/her field of vision for 20-30 seconds or more, depending upon the need of the client. Athough eye movements are the most commonly used external stimulus, therapists often use auditory tones, tapping, or other types of tactile stimulation. The kind of dual attention and the length of each set is customized to the need of the client. The client is instructed to just notice whatever happens. After this, the clinician instructs the client to let his/her mind go blank and to notice whatever thought, feeling, image, memory, or sensation comes to mind. Depending upon the client's report the clinician will facilitate the next focus of attention. In most cases a client-directed association process is encouraged. This is repeated numerous times throughout the session.

I remember it as kind of a free-association exercise, where the therapist's next question depended on my response.  We would sometimes end up far from where we started!

Sounds faskinatin'.  Thanks for the short description, gretl.  Having spent 6 years digging and digging through the past and the highly blocked present with a mix of cognitive and classic Jungian therapy, I can't say I'm sorry for the method my therapist uses, but if I were starting now, this would be attractive.  Though I don't think it's made it to Utah yet.

thanks for the link and explanation gretl - much appreciated.

Wow though.. sounds like a kind of bastardization of CBT and hypnosis -- or do you think I'm misreading it completely?  Also think it sounds as though you need to be pretty stable from the start for it to work.  Hmm.  Not the kind of thing that appeals to me, but obviously it HAS worked for some, or they wouldn't be pushing it!

Thanks everyone for the replies. thank you, Gretyl for the description. I will be asking my tdoc about it while handing her a printourt of my loss of virginity and see what she has to say about that!mel1

Wow though.. sounds like a kind of bastardization of CBT and hypnosis --

Hmmm, maybe to a certain extent.  I'm uber analytical/rational, and I thought it was complete new age hooey when I first heard about it, so I don't blame anyone for not being interested in trying it, LOL!  But it really was weird the way the eye movements put your brain in a different space.  That probably does have something in common with hypnosis.  It seems to me EMDR (at least as far as I went with it) was mostly being guided to working through/finding the resolution within yourself (I could certainly be wrong about that, esp. when it comes to resolving trauma). 

Thanks everyone for the replies. thank you, Gretyl for the description. I will be asking my tdoc about it while handing her a printourt of my loss of virginity and see what she has to say about that!mel1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh right.  Yes, I think that would be the perfect use for it!  Good luck ... keep us posted! 

mostly being guided to working through/finding the resolution within yourself
Gretl - suddenly I find that intriguing... perhaps it's just the space I'm in right now (as in this morning; my moods are so interchangeable right now that who knows where I'll be in say... 10 minutes time... heh)

But its use for dealing with past trauma is also suddenly drawing me - also possibly because in the past week all sorts of crap I'd thought I'd resolved (wrong) has been rearing its ugly self in my head again.

Good luck ... keep us posted!

yes, good luck Mel and please do keep us posted on it if you feel able to.

I used it successfully for dealing with a childhood trauma that since, remarkably, doesn't have the same impact on me as it once did. I only tried it because my therapist is a certified practitioner and suggested it. I've only done it the one time in lieu of our regular session. I'm as open minded as they come, but I don't believe just anything. After first hand experience, I give it some definite credence. I don't really know how you'd employ it as general therapy for Bipolar, though; unless you mean for underlying traumas associated with it; i.e. PTSD, etc.

I was interested in using for PTSD. I'm haven't been officially dx'd w/ PTSD because both by pdoc and tdoc just speak of BP and kind of just want to treat me, not label me. My tdoc specializes in hypnosis, emdr, and she is very well- known as a really good tdoc. I like her because she doesn't beat around the bush. She is very blunt with me, which I think is helpful, plus I get my money's worth because I am not spending time beating around a bush. Actually, during my 50 min. session,  my ADHD tendencies come out and I do 99.5 % of the talking and I think this is another areaa of my ther. where I am really getting my money's worth. There has been a couple of times where  I thought she was going to physically through me out because i WOULdn't stop talking. She now has me write her check in her office so I don't hold her captive and talk her ears off whilst I write my check. I guess it is such a rarity for me to just be able to talk, talk , talk- all abaout myself and my problems and have someone really listen and give caring guidance as to  a possibel road to take to solve a problem.

OKAY- way off topic, sorry- too much coffee this mmorning-mel

Archived