CrazyBoards.org

I need some advice here. I'm on several meds but seroquel and zoloft are causing me to gain weight. I need to start getting off of these meds ASAP. I can't afford to lose my job. I'm only on 25mg of seroquel and 100mg of zoloft. How should I do this. I tried to call the doc today but she isn't taking calls until monday and I want to start now, plus she has already mentioned taking me off of the zoloft. Any suggestions are great.

Thanks,

Erika

You've got to be joking!  About the whole job thing.  Did your boss actually tell you if you didn't lose weight you were gonna get the big boot???  That's just wrong!  I realize that what you do for a living requires a body "to die for", but isn't that considered discrimination?  Or doesn't that count in your job?  Man, I wouldn't take that shit from a boss.  I know you need your job, but I'd be lookin' for another one. As for trying to lose weight, didn't you mention you're on topamax on the thread I started about birth control and topamax?  I can't remember.  That should help, somewhat.  And I know I read that you do yogo and you do keep a healthy diet...yada yada yada.  I'm not sure what else you can do, other than ween yourself off your meds that do cause weight gain.  That Seraquel made me gain 20 pounds in a week, and it turned me into a complete zombie.  I don't remember what Zoloft did to me.  It's been too long.  Like I said, you're doing what you can. 

Elizabeth

totally not kidding. Actually this is how it went down. A few weeks ago I was told that I was too heavy to go on stage. I thought nothing of it and went on my way. Today I go into work and find out that they fired 10 girls for being over weight. I mean seeing as how they took me off of stage I can only assume that as soon as the firing manager sees me that he's going to say something. I'm going to try to talk my way out of it and explain the med situation but I don't know what will happen. No I'm not on topamax. I knew about topamax because it was a consideration until I found out that it messes with birth control, that's how I knew.

The wellbutrin should be helping but it's not. I know that I'm only on 25mg of seroquel but from what I've heard it will still cause weight gain even at the lowest dose. I'm not going to take it today. I'm also going to take my zoloft down to 50mg. I mean shit I'm already on an AD so what do I need 2 of them for. lol

Erika

Hun, you should try the Topamax.  All it really does is mess with your period.  You may end up getting it early in your pack.  I'm overweight to begin with, but I've lost a ton of weight with it.  No joke!  It also helps stabilizes my moods and I'm Bipolar too.  Plus, if you really want to try out the Topamax, you can ask your OB/GYN what pill is the strongest you can take so it won't  have to deal with the early period thing.

As for your job, girl, I don't know what to tell ya.  First of all, I wouldn't want your job even if I did have a body to die for.  Too much stress.  Then again, there's stress in almost every type of job out there in the world.  I just wouldn't want sleezy guys staring at me and man-handling me.  Yuck!  I hope you don't lose your job.  I didn't know Welbutrin helped with weight loss.  Now I really want to go back on that.  I smoke and have been BEGGING my ass off to go back on it so I can quit.  I made the mistake of self-admitting myself a few years ago and the pdoc took me off of it.  Hence, my smoking started back up again.  Gee...thanks Dr. Whatsherface! I'm on your side, Erika, and I hope that all goes well for you.

Elizabeth 

I've already talked to my pdoc about topamax and she refuses to give it to me. I have ovarian cysts and I take the birth control to prevent them from forming so if the topamax messes with it then I might end up in trouble. They usually burst on me and I end up in the ER. I'm thinking about keppra and I'll ask her again about the topamax but I doubt that she will let me. I really want to try the keppra because I saw somewhere that it might stop or even reverse the kindling effect. Also I'm a smoker and the wellbutrin isn't doing shit as far as quitting is concerned. Wellbutrin is being studied as a weight loss medication. You can read up on it in the crazymeds.us site.

Thanks for the support,

Erika

I just read a fascinating random blurb in Premiere magazine. Deborah Unger (actress) was playing a part as some kind of sicko or something, and she felt that there was something off about her in the part. She decided to gain 20 pounds, because she said she was going with the idea that sometimes weight is pain.

So I was thinking, wow, I've let go of so so much shit in my life, emotionally, in the last few months, and during that time I'm losing weight so fast I'm actually getting irritated. Clothes I bought 2 months ago are 2 inches too wide around the waist. Meanwhile more girls are flirting with me, etc, etc, which is OK but somewhat of a distraction from the fact that I'm trying to find a job and deal with long-buried family issues and I've got a date today with a girl I rather like and that reminds me I need a job.

Is the weight loss from tapering off the Trileptal and Klonopin? Certainly by pdoc would think so if I even bothered discussing it there. Is it no longer needing to numb the pain with food (I've rarely done this, food was never my drug of choice) because I've been dealing directly with the sources of the pain and finally (FINALLY) finding some power to deal with them? My tdoc thinks so. Is it that I've been manic and full of energy and being more social and having more real connections with people (including here, BTW) and so I'm burning way more calories? Yeah, that too.

Anyway I actually had put on my to-do list today "start gaining some weight back". If only so I can fit in my clothes! So I'm trying to disengage from the emotional stuff (whatever) and just eat, get some strength exercise going again, and see what that does.

My only point was that Deborah Unger spoke to me through a newstand movie rag while I was waiting to get my prescription refilled. Stuff like that has been happening a lot. So... I guess it's good I took the pills today.

I've already talked to my pdoc about topamax and she refuses to give it to me. I have ovarian cysts and I take the birth control to prevent them from forming so if the topamax messes with it then I might end up in trouble. They usually burst on me and I end up in the ER.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erika, we wouldn't want you to end up in the ER!  If that is the case, please don't mess with topamax.  Sorry, I don't want to sound all lecture-ish and shit, I just don't want to see your health be majorly affected.  I know the whole ovarian cysts thing and they can definately be a bitch and a half... blah

At least from my own experience, zoloft was a main culprit in my weight gain... and that sucks amazingly.  With that said, I don't think that it is a necessarily bad idea that you are lowering your dose.  Is is possible for your doc to just lower/get you off of the zoloft and maybe raise your wellbutrin a little?

Good luck, Erika, and keep us posted!

~Ophelia

One of my stress reducers (and since my hubby is BP and one of my son's is autistic, I sure as hell need em!) is belly dancing. I am also a "big girl"...6' tall, 235 lbs. By Middle Eastern standards, I am just fine, by American standards, I am a fat cow. In the USA the average size woman is a size 12...most fashion models are what..a size 4???

Anyway, enough of my rant. I wish you the best with your weightloss issues. I have struggled with excess weight my whole life. (I sucks enough without medication working against you.) Now I just focus on being healthy...I work out 4-5 times a week and feel great even if I don't fit the "standard model". Sending good thoughts and support your way (even though you already look great and don't need to lose a single pound!)

that's cool. See I'm just little I'm 5'0" and I used to wear a size 2 but now I'm having trouble getting into a size 7 jeans. I would like to go down to a 3/4

I'm going to be doing cardio 6 days a week. Swimming, hiking, treadmill, eliptical, recumbent bike, light weight training. proper diet. I'll keep everyone informed on how it goes. As far as my meds go, I kept the seroquel on for the time being and lowered the zoloft to 50mg. I already feel alittle difference but not much. I worked myself out today so that could have something to do with how i'm feeling.

Erika

Just be sure that any med changes you do make you run past your pdoc first. Weight gain can be a drag, and having weight gain to jeopradize your job must be hard. But lowering or not taking your meds could put your risk at much more so than gaining weight, you may be risking your mental health. If you stop or taper off the meds on your own you could end up severely depressed or manic (I don't know your Dx) and either could threaten your job more than just the weight gain.

Erika

Erika,

I'm somewhat hesitant to be the only one to go down this road but here goes.  How about looking into a different career path, like the management side of things?  Living and dying on how you look from month to month seems like an excellent way to allow your self esteem (not to mention bank account) to be controlled by external sources. 

Blondini

I don't think you're the first to suggest this Blondini. I would add that Erika has a lot of qualities that would make her excel in completely different fields. Maybe seeing a career counselor would be worth the money?

I see things like being a couples counselor, to throw out one thought. Or something in the realm of counseling people.

Anyway a career counselor can really help you figure out what you're best at, what drives you, and how to get there from here. I'm not a career counselor, so for all I know you're calling is to be a lion tamer ;)

Erika,

So I am assuming (I know, I know) that you a dancer based on your posts?  If so, girl, I TOTALLY understand what you are going through.

To tell someone to stop dancing and just "do" something else is equivalent to telling a doctor to quit his job and go work at McDonalds.  You can't just quit.  Not without a plan and I am talking a LONG term plan and one where you need to be mentally straight.  Hell, I had a degree and year and half of therapy under my belt before I knew I would be able to do it "for good"  - this time.  There is a culture, a family, a life that I just can't describe. 

Erika, I took my friend's advice (who had just quit) and moved to a city where I had never stepped foot in a club.  I ended up all the way across the country.

But, that is all beyond the point of the here and now.  I don't know how big your club is but figure out which nights and which managers aren't so damn picky and work then.  And tip out big (not like I have to say that, but you know what I am saying).  And do all the usual tricks (I don't know your dress code, but...) where black dresses, no bikinis.  Tan, tan, tan.  Wear your hair down.  Wear the big heals (platforms/chunkier shoes will make your legs look smaller).  Make sure your makeup is more natural.  Lashes make your eyes look HUGE and beautiful which makes your face look smaller.  And the one thing you always have to do, walk around as you know that you are beautiful (because you are - I went to your website).  Well, at least those were the things I did when I was trying to loose weight because I was taking Zyprexa (gained 15 pounds, yikes!).  And if your club does any charity car washes or anything, I would be there for those too.

And I think I read somewhere that you are starting Topamax.  That will make you loose weight, pretty quickly.  So just try to be patient and hold out.  Maybe see if you can get a "vacation" for a bit so you can relax, don't have to worry about the chopping block, and let the meds kick in.

And when things have calmed down, then Erika can begin to think about changing her life.  But as with everything in life, we can't just quit our current job because things are hard.  And this is a job.  You spend a lot of time networking, buying costumes, getting things set right.  This is not the time for major life changes.

Erika, my heart and thoughts are with you.  Remember to stay true to yourself.  Dancers are survivors, and you will survive this.  How many women are brave enough to stand on a stage as we have?  Draw upon the knowledge that within you is that same strength.  We do not become different people when the garter goes on, but allow a different part of ourselves to come through.  Does that make sense at all?

You can PM me if you want to talk.

I hope I didn't sound like I was saying go change your life overnight, or that I was saying what you should or shouldn't do Erika. I just don't think you're all that happy and you're smart and strong enough to do a lot of things even if you don't have a plan yet.

I know I know shut up Jemini.

Jemini,

In the long run, you can't be a dancer forever! (Okay, well, I hope not.)  But, that was what always seemed to be the answer everyone gave me when I was sad.  It is wonderful that you care and I think that you are right in pointing out the qualities that Erika has that will take her into the future.  Don't take my post as saying that you shouldn't.

I just know that most people don't understand the world Erika lives in and I wanted to try to help others know that her fears are not unfounded.  And that she is more "stuck" than people know (because I could never get people to understand that when I was there).  And I wanted to at least tell her what I did when I was there (some of the little tricks I did).

I hope my ramblings are making some sense.  I have to go to bed now so I can go to work tomorrow morning (ah, the life in the "real" world).

Archived