What to expect from group therapy

I have just started group therapy. It's a group of 6-7 women (I'm a woman, btw) and a male therapist. We are diagnosed as depressed and one woman also hears voices and takes antipsychotic meds. We go around the room and discuss our week, what triggered constructive thoughts or negative thoughts, etc. It's reminiscent of a 12-step meeting, without the substance-abuse issues. The therapist encourages us to call each other and socialize outside of the sessions. It this typical? Any input appreciated.

Thanks for all the info. I worry about dragging some of them down when I'm really depressed, or offending someone's religion with some of my comments. I don't believe in Christianity and some of them might see it as a lifeline.

You know, I'd agree with you if you were going to a dinner party. But, this is no party, it's therapy. You don't have to hold back for anyone. In fact it would be counterproductive. This is actually a good topic for the group to discuss.

I'm an athiest. There have been times when I've wished I could believe in God, but I can't make it happen. I try to respect others' beliefs under the rubric of 'whatever gets you through the night.' That stops, though, as soon as anyone tries to proselytize me.

I hope it goes well for you. Please check back in and let us know how it's going.

Greeny

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread while trying to see what group therapy stuff there is here. I'm trying to get into a group, going for an "interview" tomorrow for it. I imagine she will ask me why I want group tx, and I'm mulling over some possible answers for that: because I need as much tx as I can get, because I need to be more socialized (poorly socialized as a child, bit of social anxiety now), and because I want to see what other MI people can offer in the way of support. The only problem is, I don't know if this group is of the MI caste -- for all I know, they could be people with bouts of situational depression, while I'm working on trying to be less painfully MI (recurrent refractory MDD since I was 5 yrs old).

Does anyone have any thoughts they could share on why they've gone to group (instead of or in addition to individual) and what they've gotten out of it? I appreciated the above discussion -- thanks for sharing so generously, Greeny -- and hope more people will weigh in on this thread.

clumsycrawling

I've had a few more sessions and have mixed feelings. Maybe I'm a bad person, but sometimes hearing other people's problems just drags me down. I can't do anything about another member's hassle with Medicaid eligibility except to say, "Ooh, that's too bad. Keep calling your caseworker." I don't have a thing in the world against anybody in the group, and wish them all well, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. If I get full-time work during the day, it'll be hard to justify to myself leaving work early once a week to go to this group, especially since I've been out of full-time work for so long.

Archived