CrazyBoards.org

How to talk to a Crisis Center when suicidal?

I read the sticky about how to talk to someone who is suicidal, but I'm on the other end and wondering how to talk about this without getting turned in to the police. (It happened to me last year; I told our marriage counselor I felt suicidal, and 8 hours later the cops and medics literally broke into my home).

I no longer trust, but I need to talk and don't know how to without causing myself more pain. I have been in psych hospitals off and on for 20 years. They have never helped me whatsoever. I never got any counseling that has helped. I think about suicide every day. I have tried it 4 times with pills but will never do it that way again because I vomited so bad that it brought me back from unconsciousness.

How do I call the Crisis Center and talk without them calling the cops on me?

P.S. This is not an emergency and that is why I am posting. Its an every day thing for me.

Mellow Yellow,

You're not alone. Not in the need to talk, not in the fear that they're going to call the police and you'll end up with cops banging down your door with every fire engine and ambulance in town at your driveway.

Samaritans

In the general research I did on suicide help lines, the Samaritans seemed least likely to call in the authorities against your wishes. Their website explains that unless you've already done something potentially lethal, the call will nearly always remain confidential, and even then they will try to get your agreement before calling in any emergency services. They have the usual caveats and reasons for breaking confidentiality, and they all seemed like good reasons, such as passing on terrorist information, threatening the phone counselor, and so forth.

There are more numbers up in the pinned topics, in the "If you're suicidal and we suck" section.

Please make the call if you need to. You can give yourself a lot of breathing room just by being able to talk to someone without them freaking out over it.

... and you can always hang out here or in IRC chat. There's plenty of understanding here.

Post again soon.

Greeny

You're not alone. Not in the need to talk, not in the fear that they're going to call the police and you'll end up with cops banging down your door with every fire engine and ambulance in town at your driveway.

Thanks for replying. Yes that fear that everybody has came true for me. The cops literally broke into my house and woke me up from a sound sleep, and medics interrogated me. Very embarrassing event in the neighborhood!

Then there ensued a philosophical discussion among them: is a theoretical threat a good enough basis to drag her to the psych ward? Because I had said, in answer to their interogation, yes I would definitely commit suicide if I became poor and homeless ever again. After that happened, I wrote the therapist a nasty letter but he didn't care how it made it all worse for me.

I have used the Samaritans many times, but thanks anyway. The last time, I  felt as if they were probing to see if I had a plan. They aren't safe. So I end up telling them my depression is gone just to get them off my back. For some reason, the email method has become satisfactory.

Still searching for answers on how to talk about this without looking histrionic, borderline, and untrustworthy!

I don't know *anything* about suicidal hotlines but couldn't you just go to a payphone and call? Make up a fake name and just have a live person to talk to?

Do they have technology like 911 where they'll trace the call?

I'm sorry you're not doing so hot ;)

Ruins

The therapist and Dr. are legally bound to report you if they feel you are a danger to yourself or others. I had called a suicide hotline before and they were real professional. Did not threaten me in any way. It was your basic hotline in the city I lived in. I hope you do not have a bad experience again.

Archived