CrazyBoards.org

Hi, I keep coming here and hanging out reading all the info, and thinking I should write an introduction, but I'm never quite sure what to write, so I usually get half way through and give up. ;)

About 4 years ago I was rear-ended by a semi-truck who decided not to use his brakes to stop at a red light, and used our car instead. After a year of too many tests and an unneeded surgery, our GP finally decided he didn't know what to do with me, told me a neurologist could probably help me, so he was going to send me to a pain management doctor (I'm totally serious). My husband has finally agreed that this doctor is pretty much a quack so right now we're in the market for a GP.

Anyway, it took a year to learn that it was my back. Finally went to a doctor who told me that, told me where I'd hurt it, and told me it could cause migraines and dizzy spells and other symptoms that it caused...then read down my list I'd brought him, checking off every one that he'd said. He spent several hours with my husband and I, giving us as much information as possible, really, wonderful doctor. That was my first and only visit with him. Before the next one, we're watching the news and there's a brief blurb about a local doctor being arrested. Yep, it was my doctor. From what I've read since, it seems like there's a national epidemic of pain management doctors being arrested.

Since then I've been the rounds, pm doc after pm doc, and now a neurologist. Tried therapy twice, which didn't help. Except during the time that pain is increasing (usually lasts 1-3 weeks, then I normally have a maintenance period of 2-4 weeks before the next increase), I can usually partition my pain off (which probably makes no sense) to a degree in order to function, but my normal pain level is around an 8. Some days it goes up, like when I'm trying new medicines like Topamax. UGH. Then I was at 10 for about 3 weeks straight. I liked the neurologist's personality, but any doctor who'd prescribe a medication that has a side effect of causing abdominal pain to someone who's biggest complaints are abdominal pain and back pain. Well, it makes you wonder about them. He prescribed Cymbalta next, but before I could get the prescription filled we were in another accident (I don't know what people have against red lights around here. :)

Anyway, it feels like I've been fighting for 4 years. I'm drained from being in pain all the time and just don't have the energy to keep fighting. Not when I'm having to fight my body and my doctors both. I really need to find a doctor who'll be an advocate for me, and not make everything an uphill battle. I used to be determined that I wasn't going to give in to my pain, that I was going to heal and be able to go dancing again and run with my children and play soccer and baseball and all the stuff I used to enjoy doing. Now I'm excited because I finally broke down and brought a cane (I'd been using a stroller or a shopping cart whenever I went anywhere) and feel like I've been given a degree of freedom again. The one thing my doctor did finally do was give me a handicapped sticker...for 3 months. Oh well, that'll work. By then hopefully I'll have a new doctor who'll actually care about my health instead of the one I have now.

So, I guess my name has a double meaning. I'm losing hope in the medical professionals I've met, and I'm losing/lost hope of ever really recovering. Considering I've got at least 2 doctors reports that say that I won't recover, I guess it's time to admit it, huh.

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Sounds like you've had a real bad stroke of luck there, but don't give up hope. I am sure there is help out there to be had.  It can get frustrating, but it took me YEARS to find help with my MI. I unfortunately know very little about neurology, so I can't add much there.  But, good luck and let us know how things go!

Pinky

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcomes. I lurked for a bit before deciding to post. When I received an IM from Grousemouse welcoming me, I figured it was time to stop lurking and come say Hi to everyone.  ;)

I still hope, guess I'm part eternal optimist, but sometimes certain parts really do feel hopeless...like finding a doctor. Any doctor, that cares enough to keep trying to help me find out the cause of the headaches, vertigo, and pain instead of just labeling it Migraines and Chronic Back Pain and medicating the hell out of me and just shaking their heads at the vertigo and telling me to live with it (and that's the neurologist).

I figure that if I have a name for what's wrong, then maybe eventually I'll read about a cure being found and it will work for me. Of course, last week I had a doctor laugh at me for wanting to have a title to place with it so badly. He reminded me that most back pain is never fully diagnosised, which I know, but it doesn't stop me from hoping. :)

I highly recommend avoiding any more surgery for back pain. I have known some people who have had back pains and after the surgery the situation was always worse.

DL-phenyalanine is supposed to help with pain. Supposely dl-phenylaline releases endorphins naturally.

Archived