Severe OCD and didn't even realise it?

Sorry, I had originally posted this under the anxiety board without realising that there is an board specific to OCD.

I started seeing this new psychiatrist today, and he gave me this survey/test for my degree of obsessive and compulsive behaviours. At the end of the test he tells me that I have severe obsessive compulsive disorder. Apparently the symptoms I have are quite extreme, but the thing is that I have always had these symptoms so they don't even seem out of the ordinary to me.

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

My syptoms are mostly of the neutralising brand. I am constantly getting intrusive thoughts, and then neutralising them with a phrase or an action so that they won't come true. I have been doing this my whole life though so when the doctor asked about it I didn't think it applied to me because it's just so natural for me to do this. My other symptoms are obsessive orderliness, perfectionism, and checking.

I am constantly getting intrusive thoughts, and then neutralising them with a phrase or an action so that they won't come true

I had been doing that for YEARS, so far back that I can't even remember NOT doing it. When I found out that it wasen't how everyone... like, lived, or thought or whatever, I was like... what? How can they not? It just seemed completely normal to me.

Did he perscribe anything? Or had you been taking anything before hand?

I am constantly getting intrusive thoughts, and then neutralising them with a phrase or an action so that they won't come true

I had been doing that for YEARS, so far back that I can't even remember NOT doing it. When I found out that it wasen't how everyone... like, lived, or thought or whatever, I was like... what? How can they not? It just seemed completely normal to me.

Did he perscribe anything? Or had you been taking anything before hand?

Well, I mean, I know that other people don't do it and that it is completely irrational but it doesn't stop me from doing it. Prescribing medications for me is tricky, because I have a very very sensitive liver but I am also TERRIFIED of developing a neurodegenerative disease so I will not take anything that will produce any negative cognitive side effect. I know I am limiting myself a lot by not taking anything that will adversely affect me cognitively, but I am so terrified that I am going to develop some irreversible cognitive problems that they medication would do far more harm then good. He did prescribe me Trazodone and Xanax, but I am not going to be taking them since they affect me negatively in the cognitive department.

Velvet Elvis- I had never heard it put that way either, but the survey/test he was reading from that was the word he used.

If you read the OCD books, you'll find what is called "pure obsessional", which is also what I have. It's very common and part of the reason OCD is underdiagnosed. Most people who are pure-O don't even notice that it's not normal to do these things. Hell, I WORK in the field and didn't know that OCD wasn't always just washing and checking.

By the way, is it possible that your fears of degenerative disease/medications could be another symptom of OCD?

Run that by your therapist sometime.

If you read the OCD books, you'll find what is called "pure obsessional", which is also what I have. It's very common and part of the reason OCD is underdiagnosed. Most people who are pure-O don't even notice that it's not normal to do these things. Hell, I WORK in the field and didn't know that OCD wasn't always just washing and checking.

By the way, is it possible that your fears of degenerative disease/medications could be another symptom of OCD?

Run that by your therapist sometime.

Oh, yeah. The fears of a neurodegenerative disease are a part of it. That's one of the symptoms I discussed with my doctor. It's not only neurodegenerative but that's mainly what it is. I just get hooked on these diseases that I think I have and I research them constantly and then go to doctor after doctor after doctor looking for help.

Wouldn't a pure obessional just always be thinking of negative things? Do they have any compulsions? My doctor says my neutralising behaviour is a compulsion.

Oh, yeah. The fears of a neurodegenerative disease are a part of it. That's one of the symptoms I discussed with my doctor. It's not only neurodegenerative but that's mainly what it is. I just get hooked on these diseases that I think I have and I research them constantly and then go to doctor after doctor after doctor looking for help.

Wouldn't a pure obessional just always be thinking of negative things? Do they have any compulsions? My doctor says my neutralising behaviour is a compulsion.

Yes, the researching, the countering the thoughts with "undoing" or "reversing" the thoughts, trying to rationalize the thought or prove it wrong...those are all compulsions. That is why "pure-o" is misleading, because all people with OCD have some sort of compulsion. Its just us pure-os do most of ours in our heads...or by avoiding things that trigger the thoughts.

and sometimes, the obsessions aren't just negative, they can be neutral. For example, i've heard of alot of people who have music obsessively playing in their head. Or just random words. It's not nearly as common as thoughts of harming others or sexual stuff or whathaveyou...but it happens.

Archived