speeded-up thoughts and motions

If you find your thoughts and motions starting to speed up, does deliberately slowing them down help you at all?

I've been having 2-3 day periods of high anxiety, overenergization, or distracting daydreams. The latter two are becoming more common. The best thing I've found to decrease and prevent energization is a long fast walk as soon as I notice it, but it's getting cold out and soon will be icy, and soon I'll have time commitments that won't let me go to the gym at will, so I'm trying to find other ways to help with it.

If I'm not too far down the hypomanic path, yeah, I can do stuff to help...

I find that doing slow breathing exercises help...sort of semi-meditation...if I can lay down on my bed or on the couch, all the better, but sitting with my eyes closed is good, too. I'll focus on my breathing, just the breathing. S-l-o-w breathing.

Some kind of mundane activity that I can hyperfocus on is good, too. Loading the dishwasher. Cutting dead flowers off the plants in my backyard. Cleaning out my desk drawer. The hyperfocus gives my brain a purpose, gets it off of its stupid little treadmill.

And as always, when in doubt, pet the cat.

Archived