That was a trial of ten patients. A number of bp folks can take SSRIs just fine. There is just a risk involved.

They probably looked for other factors such as agitation which would indicate an increased likelihood for SSRI induced mania and excluded those people from the study.

All this really tells us is that people who don't have a manic reaction to SSRI don't have a manic reaction to SSRIs.

I would chalk this up as being more in the realm of being a supporting study that underpins what is already already known, but probably not directly documented. Some people can have a switch to mania from taking an SSRI, but it is not predictable, nor diagnostic for Bipolar disorder.

It is curious that they found ten rapid cyclers, who had never been treated before with any meds to use for the study. I'm not sure how well using rapid cyclers represents the much larger body of bipolar sufferers.

Hopefully these folks will continue this work and figure out how to predict who has reacts badly to AD's. Thanks for finding this!

a.m.

p.s. May I suggest that it would be kind if you would put even a one or two sentence summary of the article, so people can decide whether it is of interest, without forcing them to follow links off site and then have to read the article?

I've always figured that...

<captain obvious>

BPIIs tolerate SSRIs better than BPIs.

</captain obvious>

Though this study pretty much has zero statistical significance, hopefully it'll encourage more study into the biological basis of BP-II.

(<rant>I never felt that BP-I and BP-II had a terrible lot to do with each other anyways, save for episodes of different moods....</rant>)

Sorry, Captain Obvious, but when I was put on fluoxetine, I lost the plot completely and very quickly. I eventually had to be coaxed out from under the table where I was hiding from everything. Me and SSRI's do not see eye to eye.

Captain Obvious was just being relative.

I personally know more than one BP2 who does (well, did) not play nice with SSRIs.

But, judging by the overall assumptions made by the poster here, I assume that BPIs do not take SSRIs well at all. Many (if not a majority) of BP2s work reasonably well with SSRIs. You're obviously one of the many exceptions.

You're making the valuable point that not every BP2 should be treated the same, it's a heterogenous disorder in and of itself (BPI notwithstanding).

just simply on the topic of BP1 people taking SSRIs- i've taken both paxil and lexapro without causing any manic or hypomanic reactions. currently i take WB and am looking at switching back to paxil, as soon as my pdoc will let me...lol (he says i switch meds too much, and i really do!).

Yeah, Loon, I think the issue here is SSRIs without a mood stabiliser.

Me + fluoxetine - lamotrigine = ugly mess.

You reminded me of something. For me, taking an SSRI/SSNRI results in nothing (except perhaps increased silicovaginosis)... to get them to work, I need a 'bad guy serotonin receptor' blocker, as well as a mood stabilizer, which du jour is Lamictal.

You reminded me of something. For me, taking an SSRI/SSNRI results in nothing (except perhaps increased silicovaginosis)

What?? Is this what you're talking about. No wonder I quit the SSRI's...

Whoops, sorry about that, there was a misunderstanding.

By the prefix "silico-", I meant silicon dioxide (i.e., the form of dirt we know as sand), and not the polymer known as silicone.

Archived