Going back to school?

I've been considering going back to school lately. Im a stay at home mom, and while I love my kids to death, I've been home since before my son was born, so that would be about 8 years! Im really looking to get out of the house, but to work, I would only be able to do retail or something of that nature, since I've been out of the workforce so long.

So, what am I interested in? Im interested in psychology. Im just scared I wont be able to do it. That is alot of schooling, I could probably start out at our local community college, but then I'd have to move on to a university, and I can't go far from home, you know? So, I've also considered medical billing and coding. Not as great as psychology, but it would be something Im interested in. It would take about a year or 2 in our local business college.

Im just finally starting to feel good since my pdoc started me on Lithium. Im afraid I'll relapse or something, and wont be able to finish. I really just feel I need to do something, for me. I feel like my brain is just begging for some stimulation from something other than Dora the Explorer and Spongebob!

Hi! Here are some thoughts for making things easier on yourself that I've heard around.

One is to take classes less than full-time, at least at first. That would let you sharpen up your skills, figure out how much time commitment you can handle, and let you lose less if you have to withdraw.

Another is to see if your community college has a disability services. I'm not sure exactly what they can do for you, but they might be able to do something like turn incompletes into withdrawals so that they don't turn into F's, in case you have to withdraw late in the semester.

i'd say that if you get into the classes and discover you really do love them, then never give up on your dream. i know a lady who became an MD when she was 50! you'd think that's too old, but no, she took it class by class, dealing with raising her son on her own, and eventually (with help from family and friends) did become an MD. now she makes really good money and has a fabulous house. her investment in herself and her career paid off- in time. it may take time.

but if you discover you love it, even if it has to be class by class, do it. you won't regret it when you graduate.

loon ;)

edited to say- and also, consider your patterns of mental health status in scheduling your classes.

I would recommend medical billing, unless you're just going to school for your own education and aren't really intending it to be for career development. Not many good jobs in psych except at the doctoral level, and very, very few can get in to the best programs.

Some people do find the types of jobs you can get with a psych bachelor's rewarding, but they can be very stressful and take a lot out of a person. They also generally don't pay very well. If you are the type of person who can handle working in hospitals, prisons, or with kids/adolescents with serious problems, you might be happy with it.

I did a little medical coding for a while and enjoyed it. It would at least be a good job while you figured out any further educational goals you might have.

Archived