New hardrive for my laptop...

Okay, so my first hardrive sucked because it took forever to load its OS.

Thanks to newegg, I now have a speedy 100 gig 7200 rpm Hitachi Travelstar. Now when I fire this baby up, it only takes about 11 seconds to boot. I also bought an external enclosure for my old hd, which I use now as a backup drive.

Doing this has been a nice distraction to my fucked up brain. I'm also thinking about building a new 64 bit rig, but since I could barely afford the new hd, it might be a while.

Still, it's fun to window shop.

Okay, as you were.

~M

Sweet.

I should send you my old desktop and see if you can get it running properly again. I'm trying to eek one more year out of it. I figure I'll buy my kiddo a laptop when he goes to college next fall. But in the meantime, he needs the desktop (because he's not allowed anywhere near my laptop!).

I have such a love/hate relationship with technology.

Thanks to newegg

Woo, Newegg. I've gotten a bunch of fun stuff from them.

I now have a speedy 100 gig 7200 rpm Hitachi Travelstar. Now when I fire this baby up, it only takes about 11 seconds to boot.

On the plus side, 7200 RPM drives are a lot faster. On the other hand, they can also be a decent amount hotter and use more power than a slower drive. In some laptops, that's fine, and the performance is definitely worth it, but in my little one, I'm happy with the battery life and never hearing the fan come on. It really would be nice to have something faster, though, or even just a drive that big... Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself out of wishing I had a new laptop. Heh.

Doing this has been a nice distraction to my fucked up brain. I'm also thinking about building a new 64 bit rig, but since I could barely afford the new hd, it might be a while.

I'm actually just getting around to finishing mine probably this week. I got an Athlon 64 from a friend and scrounged up various bits and pieces, and now I need to go pick up a case and a power supply and stick everything in there. I haven't had a new desktop in a long, long time. New toy!

Archived