Keeping SSA Informed- Part 2

my paperwork for the quality check is done in chicago (they also affirmed that i'm crazy- yay?), and now it is back in cleveland for some paperwork processing. it will take a couple of weeks for this to come through. i'm patient.

in the meantime, i want to know- when i'm on SSD and i'm working, do i need to send them a copy of every pay stub i receive? how do i keep them informed that i'm making below their limit?

btw- i think the limit is stupid because it doesn't take into account hours. my best friend works just under full time and makes just under the 866 he's allowed to make. he could have a better job, work fewer hours, and make more money- but what does disabiity mean? -- sigh

i need to get some kind of job during this holiday season so i can keep it for afterwards...

but anyway, how do i keep SSA informed of my earnings, or lack thereof?

btw- i think the limit is stupid because it doesn't take into account hours. my best friend works just under full time and makes just under the 866 he's allowed to make. he could have a better job, work fewer hours, and make more money- but what does disabiity mean? -- sigh

Maybe I'm missing something...but from what I see there, maybe your best friend doesn't exactly fit the definition of "disabled"? I mean, if they can work almost 40 hours OR work less but earn right up to the cap--and presumably put in the hours to make more--then I get the idea there's a bit of system gaming going on. Of course that's just what I get from a couple of sentences.

But "disability" means, generally, not being able to support oneself at a certain level, to the point where Joe Taxpayer will do the job. This is WHY there's a limit--make more, and Joe Taxpayer--me--shouldn't have to shell out.

But. I believe you need to let the SSA know the monthly total (gross) that you earn. I'm sure there's a form, there always is, and yeah a copy of your pay stubs for the month is a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what CNS said.

Yes, you should make a copy of every pay stub----better yet, every pay stub AND paycheck----and on the copy, you should write in black ink---"VOID--COPY ONLY" on the copy of the paycheck portion"---and make a copy for yourself, too. And at the end of each month, send of copy of all of the paychecks/paystubs to the SSA along with a letter.

As for the person who works "just under the limit"----the SSA will likely eventually perform a work-related CDR.

As a matter of fact, many beneficiaries who work for some period of time will eventually be sent a special form from the SSA---"Work Activity Report--Employee". On this form, the beneficiary can explain any special accommodations, conditions, exceptions, special consideration, etc. related to their disability that enabled them to perform the job. I would suggest writing "See attached page(s) and elaborating legibly on attached sheets of paper. For instance, if applicable, one could mention that the employee allowed for sporadic attendance (and mention that attendance and timeliness was indeed sporadic, and give specific examples), that the earnings were far below substantial gainful activity and how the manifestations of the condition limited the number of hours, how productivity was lowered, being specific. It would be helpful if medical records confirmed this information. It would be even more helpful if you provided a letter signed from your supervisor (including nature of job, address, phone number, and days/hours reachable) verifying some of this information about your duties and such. If you changed many jobs, or your duties varied, or you had several employers, and this had to do with your medical/mental condition, explain that, too (and give dates---keep a notebook so you can document this.

Click here to view this SSA form:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-821.pdf

Archived