littles are WEIRD

what are the weirdest things your littles like to eat?? or people with outside kids, do they eat like this??

* spaghetti-o sandwiches... spaghetti ohs and cheese on bread, put in our sandwich griller.

* peanut butter porridge... oatmeal or cream of wheat with honey and peanut butter mixed in. it's like a sandwich with no chewing! how cool is that?

* orange meals.... mac n cheese (kraft only), carrots, yams (mashed, with cheddar)... anything else orange is okay, but only orange food, thank you. OJ to drink. of course.

* creamed corn, from a can, is, like, the bestest food ever.

* french fries from burger king dipped in frostys from wendys. only BK has salty enough fries for this to work correctly.

abifae

* spaghetti-o sandwiches... spaghetti ohs and cheese on bread, put in our sandwich griller.

* french fries from burger king dipped in frostys from wendys. only BK has salty enough fries for this to work correctly.

abifae

Spaghettti o anything is a fav with most kids. At work I have a room of ten chiildren, If I serve thge ones with spaghetti o's first then by the time I've given everyone else their food the spaghetti o's arre gone and theyy're asking for more.

French fry dip is also popular but we don't have it at work of course. Maccas french fries dipped in shake is also popular with pregnant women.

My nephew hhas weird taste for a kid in that he has good taste. Sure he loves ice cream (calls it mream) but if he asks for mream then hommus dip with fresh veges like raw broccoli is equallly accceptable.

My nephew hhas weird taste for a kid in that he has good taste. Sure he loves ice cream (calls it mream) but if he asks for mream then hommus dip with fresh veges like raw broccoli is equallly accceptable.

my poor littles went through years of us being vegetarian and doing strict elimination diets (it was a good thing, we discovered weird things we're allergic to and know what we HAVE to have organic or we can't eat it)... but it means they tend to be happy with veggies dipped in blended cottage cheese or hummus. they ADORE babaganuj (eggplant spread) that we make every autumn. it's just the canned food that they can't live without that i'm horrified by. damn granola. i can't conceptualize WANTING to eat the shit they like lol.

lilie: when we were still eating sugar, we'd go througha pint of ben and jerrys every couple of days. and only THAT slowly because we don't have enough money for more. and pizza.... sighs. the littles would eat pizza nightly if we'd let them. the system fave seems to currently be pepperoni and black olives, and we dip it in either red wine vinegar or balsalmic vinegar (we have trouble with starches unless we eat lots of acid with it lol).

i try to be healthy... tonight we had sloppy joes and the littles insisted on creamed corn with it. so i got whole wheat buns, natural beef (free range) and manwhich and canned corn rofl. granola meets nasty canned food. we melted cheddar on the buns and added the meat and i served steamed carrots and brocolli on the side. so i felt okay with them eating it. after all, i have to live in this body too! *grins*

abifae

Mine a weird too, maybe weirder to me since I don't have kids. Mine like vegitarian refried beans with melted cheese. Almost anything dipped in peanutbutter...cheese, carrots...snowpeas...they LOVE snow peas and frozen snap peas...frozen, like vegi popcicles....parmasan cheese and butter sandwiches....soft bolied eggs ...with soysauce. cold progresso soups out 0f the can. We love creamed corn too. We only cook in the microwave due to dissociation, so we eat some pretty weird things anyway

Mine a weird too, maybe weirder to me since I don't have kids. Mine like vegitarian refried beans with melted cheese. Almost anything dipped in peanutbutter...cheese, carrots...snowpeas...they LOVE snow peas and frozen snap peas...frozen, like vegi popcicles....parmasan cheese and butter sandwiches....soft bolied eggs ...with soysauce. cold progresso soups out 0f the can. We love creamed corn too. We only cook in the microwave due to dissociation, so we eat some pretty weird things anyway

*giggles* yep peanut butter is our godsend here, too.

okay, here is the weirdest sandwich i've eaten:

grilled: peanut butter, chocolate chips, refried beans, pickles, cheese, bacon bits... dipped in ketchup. i ran screaming inside but lilone and boo ate it. they said it was delicious!

my sister used to live on refried beans and cheese. mix them together, pop it in the microwave, a nice healthy dinner! i admit i crave it at times too!

abifae

Here is my mom's favorite PB recipe.

It SOUNDS really weird, but you would not believe how good this is. I loved it as a kid and will still eat them today...LOL

Peanute Butter & Bananna Sandwich

Whole wheat bread

chunky peanut butter

bananna

lettuce

Miracle Whip (NO! You can't substitute MAYO! That is just sick and wrong! LOL)

Let the littles try it, you might be surprised ;)

It SOUNDS really weird, but you would not believe how good this is. I loved it as a kid and will still eat them today...LOL

Peanute Butter & Bananna Sandwich

Whole wheat bread

chunky peanut butter

bananna

lettuce

Miracle Whip (NO! You can't substitute MAYO! That is just sick and wrong! LOL)

Let the littles try it, you might be surprised :)

we're allergic to bananas - too close to latex ;)

but it DOES sound like something they'll like!

i don't think anything beats apples with peanut butter!!

abifae

;) Yeah...I'm TRYING to lose weight, and the littles dump about 2/3 of a bottle of fudge sauce into the PB to see if it would magically turn into Reses pieces *sigh* Still trying to get the stains out of the carpet and my clothing, but they all loved it a lot.

;) Yeah...I'm TRYING to lose weight, and the littles dump about 2/3 of a bottle of fudge sauce into the PB to see if it would magically turn into Reses pieces *sigh* Still trying to get the stains out of the carpet and my clothing, but they all loved it a lot.

gee. i can't picture anyone in here doing that. lol.

my littles are still horrorfied that we cut out refined sugar just cuz the body can't handle it. sighs. luckily, we can do raw sugars just fine.

abifae

;)

I was once forced to eat a PB and mayo sandwich. Washed down with milk. Barely kept down.

Even if you call it "Miracle Whip" - upchuck city. Why doctors seem to think "lite" mayonnaise would improve my

cholesterol levels, I just don't know. Granted, it required the combination of Anchor Steam beer and real! scallops in butter

in order to acheive projectile vomiting. But, still...

MY mom used to make grilled PB sandwiches - just like grilled cheese but without the yucky stuff.

My recipe/meal vote would go to creamy PB on dark bread, washed down with V8.

Mayo and Miracle whip are not the same. Give someone from Wisconsin a BLT made with mayo sometime (who has never had mayo, only miracle whip) and watch how quickly they spit it out.

I was brought up on miracle whip...first time I had real mayo I gagged...LOL

But I feel about V8 the same way you feel about PB and Miracle Whip ;)

And if there aren't banannas and lettuce on it too, well that is just freakin' weird.

Mayo and Miracle whip are not the same. Give someone from Wisconsin a BLT made with mayo sometime (who has never had mayo, only miracle whip) and watch how quickly they spit it out.

I was brought up on miracle whip...first time I had real mayo I gagged...LOL

But I feel about V8 the same way you feel about PB and Miracle Whip ;)

And if there aren't banannas and lettuce on it too, well that is just freakin' weird.

yep. i'll only touch mayo cuz that's what i was raised on. nate likes both but on very specific things and no mixing them up! lol.

i love grilled peanut butter sandwiches :) just pb, nothing else. although some littles in here insist on chocolate chips sprinkled in it.

abi

I'm thinking of this thread and came to it because I am eating spaghetti with tomato sauce and tofu dogs.

Abifae can you have fructose? It is low on the glycemic index and can be better tolerated. I have a vegan cookie recipe that uses it and it is really easy on the bod.

Edited to add: Sorry I just read elsewhere that you've got diabetes. What type? American Diabetes Association says that fructose affects lipid levels so my advice is not helpful at all.

I'm thinking of this thread and came to it because I am eating spaghetti with tomato sauce and tofu dogs.

Abifae can you have fructose? It is low on the glycemic index and can be better tolerated. I have a vegan cookie recipe that uses it and it is really easy on the bod.

Edited to add: Sorry I just read elsewhere that you've got diabetes. What type? American Diabetes Association says that fructose affects lipid levels so my advice is not helpful at all.

i went to a doctor ten years ago who said i was pre-diabetic and would be on insulin within five years. i went to another doctor not too long after that who said i have reactive hypoglycemia and had to be very careful of what i ate.

since then, i've ignored it cuz i've rarely had insurance.

i can tell you how my body reacts, though!

i cannot have much of anything refined: sugar or flour. i can have almost any natural sugar in small amounts if i eat protein directly after. the sugars i do best with are turbanado and honey. i have never had any problem with fruit. i do best eating a diet high in fiber and whole grains, high in protein, high in healthy fats, and very low in sugar and salt. i cannot go more than four hours without food.

if i go at all off those guidelines, i'm dizzy, shaky, and stupid. i drop things, i black out, i can't keep food down easily. i used to pass out but it's been six years since i passed out in public lol. yea me!

fructose isn't too bad, but i react to it faster than i do other natural sugars.

i tell them at work i'm diabetic so that i'm guaranteed my breaks to eat, because i do have to eat so often. and i am pretty damned sure i AM diabetic by now.

abifae

Threadjack. Can you see a dietician that might be cheaper. Do you do free BP tests at the pharmacy? You are aware of the symptoms of diabetes? You can buy equipment to test sugar levels yourself. Should avoid diets high in fat because it increases the blood lipids and that would increase your chances of complications in the future. Aware re:being under/over weight? Need more calories/insulin in times of stress, infection, and exercise. You can get cheap test strips at pharmacy to test for ketones yourself. You do know that you need to monitor sugar levels even when without symptoms, right? 10 years a long time to go without med care. Any free clinics run by American Diabetes Association in your area? Are there any public health nurses available? OK mini (yes that is mini for diabetes topic) lecture over unless you are willing and wanting to hear more. I like to preach prevention.

i used to have a blood tester kit but the battery died and i haven't replaced it. you can often find coupons around here for free strips if you buy a tester. i just need the money to do it.

the diabetic association only helps you if you are properly diagnosed, from every time i've called any (every couple years for the last ten).

and yeh, i know i have to keep my weight between 155 and 170. it's low right now because i was sick. it's annoying!!!

this is one of those things i KNOW i should make room in the budget for things like a testing kit and stuff, but i can never quite bring myself to waste money on medical care. it's stupid, and i barely got myself in to a doctor for my pneumonia, even though i knew it was pneumonia. if my roommate hadn't made the appointment i still wouldn't have gone yet. i don't know why i have so much trouble with it. it's like doing paperwork. gives me the heebie jeebies. part of it is because every doctor i've gone to has said "wow, there's a slight problem, but you don't have insurance, so we aren't going to do any further testing. go get insurance and come back for tests!" that's why i don't have it officially diagnosed.

oh, i do the free bp tests ;) it's always perfect. my pulse is low until that thing tightens then it speeds up lol. but i keep track of all that stuff. i figure i'd better since i'm scared of doctors. the meanies.

i'm always open to ideas and suggestions. most of the problem has been the lack of insurance combined with a lack of competent doctors when i HAVE had insurance. seriously, i had a doctor tell me i need an mri for my migraines but he wasn't going to until i had insurance. they won't do a glucose tolerance test until i have insurance. they won't do more than a finger prick in ER until i have insurance.

then for the four years i DID have insurance, they refused to do the test because my blood sugar wasn't low enough when i went to ER, or wasn't high enough when i went to ER, or the doctor told me i was a hypochondriac because i also thought i had a seizure disorder so he refused to let me get further tested (my primary care doctor really didn't like me lol. he also practically refused to see me after my hysterectomy, because he didn't think it was necessary)... i haven't had good luck with any of this.

the only jobs i'm applying for right now offer insurance though. but get this: diabetes automatically counts as pre-existing on any of the cheaper insurances. unless i can get somewhere with really GOOD insurance, none of the insurances this town covers will cover the testing ANYWAY. and, yes, i called and checked. sigh.

this is also why i'm completely bugnuts and haven't been on meds since middle school.

abifae

Holy moley batman. That's too much to hear. 5 million Americans have diabetes and don't know it. Everyone should familiarize themselves with the symptoms of this disease. When you did have the equipment what were your sugar levels like and did they ever go high? If/ As a diabetic any action or inaction you take now, and everyday from now on forward, affects the future health of your eyesight, limbs, kidneys, vasculature system, etc... At minimum please see an optometrist to see how your eyes are doing. Check for ketones as that is cheap and is not invasive. Now is an important time to do it as you are ill so speak to the pharmacist for info. Can't see how the Diabetes Association could keep you away if you test positive for glucose and/or ketone in a screening test even if doing it by yourself. You know how it is, if a doctor does not see something for themselves you don't get a diagnosis. Still is a good idea to see for yourself because then you will know if you need to take oral hypoglycemic agents or insulin and if you do then you will how important it is to get a confirmation of diagnosis. Note: can have non-mellitus type diabetes if no glucose is found. Suspect if having to pee large amounts.

my numbers when i was taking it would not go above sixty. in fact, what started it all off was that the hospital nurses (i worked in med records) couldn't get it to register above thirty. which is the "pre" diabetic part according to ER at that time. so long as mynate gets the job he's got offered, i'll get a tester kit and my eyes tested and all that. i really do know it's necessary, i just haven't had the money. right now, we can barely make rent. anything beyond rent is extras.

abifae

Archived