Is there a board for kids with MI?

My son is eleven. He is dx BP leaning more to the depressed end of things with ADD tossed in for fun. He has an IQ of 182. He got expelled from school this Christmas for planning to blow up a power substation and take over the school. All because an adult playground attendant dismissed his input as ivalid (his words, not mine). He has thoughts of suicide and self-loathing. It is difficult for him to fit into a group (like me) and is easily frustrated by other people.

Is there a board for kids like him? I am a bit leary of giving him access to this board but perhaps it would do him good to know that others have had similar experienced and are survivors. Any thoughts? If I did give him access, I would directly supervise as I want toknow what he is doing and hopefully answer any questions.

Comments?

Hmmmm ... I dunno.  There are a lot of issues discussed on these boards that he might not be ready for, no matter how smart or mature he is at eleven.  (And believe me, I know from personal experience, 11yo can be quite mature).  But ... even with supervision, things may come up that lodge in his brain that maybe he/you don't necessarily think to discuss, yet perhaps should be.  (That doesn't really make sense.  Sorry.)  Anyhow, of course that's gonna have to be up to you.  I'm not sure I would do it, myself.

CABF (www.bpkids.org) used to have a Teen board, but it looks like it got dropped during the recent reorganization.  You might post a message over there asking about it.

http://www.facetheissue.com/community/ seems to be getting good press as an honest place for teens to hang, but I saw that it was originally targeted for girls - don't know if that's still the case.

I see you're also in Washington.  Maybe you could check with your local NAMI group and see if there are any support groups or email lists he could participate with?

Otherwise, I guess you could Google "kids, bipolar, message board" and weed through all the parent-oriented sites!  There are probably better search phrases, but you know what I mean ....

It sounds like he at least has a parent who knows where he's coming from.  Good for you.  (Sucks doesn't it?!)  Does he have a good pdoc?

Thank you for the info.

He has and excellent pdoc, same one I have. He was seeing a tdoc until my split with the spouse. I am taking back into therapy. He NEEDS it. Poor little guy-his world was bad enough-his mom left me after the crisis with the school was over. I think he and I need to do family therapy. I tried it with SO but somehow everything was my fault and the tdoc she picked out agreed with everything she said. Changed tdoc for marriage counseling and he made the mistake of telling her she wasn't blameless, that it took both of us to end up in his office. The look of indignation was priceless-I laughed my ass off- and she stormed out. Tdoc shrugs his shoulders and says "There you have it".

Jesus in a Jeep, humans are ALL fucked up! ;)

Archived