bipolar disorder mixed.

I asked the pdoc for the dx code so I can look up more info in the DSM but I have not been able to find any information on it really. I do not know if this means that he thinks that I am in a mixed state or that I am mixed between bipolar one and two or what! If anyone else knows what bipolar disorder mixed means and can clue me in then that would be great because I would love to learn more about the particulars and ways I can change my environment to help keep myself episode free as much as possible.

And I do not really have anything against contractions, my apostrophe key is not working.

Did he/she give you the code? From as best I can tell in the DSM, all the bipolar diagnoses which specify "mixed" refer to a mixed state. Officially, mixed states are only found in Bipolar I, but the general opinion in this forum is that this distinction is arbitrary and misleading, and milder (nonpsychotic) mixed states can be found in Bipolar II.

What is a mixed state? There's the book definition, which is vague, and there are the real-life examples, which are many. Run a search for "mixed state" in the bipolar forum. I know there have been some excellent discussions on the subject in times past.

Also, "mixed" by itself doesn't mean much. I assume s/he's talking about your present state, but s/he could also be saying you were most recently in a mixed state, or you have been in a mixed state in the past, or something along those lines.

If none of the official titles suit, then maybe-maybe s/he was thinking of Bipolar NOS, but from the language you've provided I think some variation on "bipolar with mixed states" is what s/he meant.

Alphabetical list of all DSM-recognized psychiatric disorders, with codes.

Its late so I won't go into detail.

But, the dx code he gave you should have a base code of either BPI, BPII, or BP NOS. (yes there are a couple other oddball ones, but I'm ignoring that for now). The supplementary code, if it's BPI, or II, will be the last/current state. For example, manic extreme, moderate, mild; depressed extreme, moderate, mild; mixed state, psychotic, etc.

Mixed state is a condition combining elements of mania/hypomania and depression. Mixed state is considered to be more dangerous than either mania or depression, since you may have the suicidality of depression with the energy and lack of self control of mania to act out.

Bipolar can be quite difficult to diagnose correctly and pdocs often take a leisurely approach to declaring a hard and fast BP diagnosis. The most important thing is that you are getting effective treatment.

a.m.

you expressed a concern to modify your own environment according to your DX. basically, you do the same things for BP1 and BP2. make sure your sleep schedule is norma, try NOT to work 3rd shift (this can really screw you up, i found that out), make sure you exercise, get enough sun, take supplements if you feel you should, make sure you have a strong support network to lean on, make sure you have enough time wtih your treatment team...the list goes on.

try to get him/her to pin it down if possible, just for your own sanity, if it will make you crazier not to know. even a BP NOS is somewhere to start.

I asked him for the DSM diagnostic code, just for reference, but he said he didn't have it on him, but if I looked up bipolar mixed I'd be able to find it.

I already found out the third shift part. I was out of comission for a week and a half.

Hm, I didn't think of mixed state to be dangerous like that. I just find it rather annoying being obsessed with killing myself and irritated about the fact that I am obsessed about it (insert crazy circle of thought here)... haha. I love me.

Archived