Effexor and alcohol

Hey y'all.

My husband was recently prescribed effexor for anxiety and depression. The doc told him that if he wanted to have a few beers with it that was fine. (This is contrary to everything I've ever read about the drug.)

Last night he had a whiskey sour and three beers. It was really scary last night because he was kind of passing out sitting up and acting more drugged than drunk. This morning he was still somewhat dopey and said that if he concentrated on one thing for too long he got double vision. I put him back in the bed and he's been sleeping for the last three hours.

Oh, and I had a bad panic attack last night while he was sleeping because I was afraid he was going to die and ended up sitting in the bathroom and rocking for an hour.

Has anyone else here had an experience like this? Am I right about my gut telling me I ought to haul his ass to the emergency room?

I drink every once in a while on effexor (150mg) and what I found is it does not take too much to feel the alcohol, pretty much anything you drink times it by two. So your husband had six beers and two whiskey sours the way I see it

trg247

I've never been on that one but I've drank on many similar meds. Most of the time when when the pharmaceutical companies warn against it it is due to a lack of testing. They don't want to get sued if he turns into a badger or something.

If it's like similar ADs, in all likelihood it will cut tolerance in half and double the hangover, which is about what you reported. Generally if you're going to drink on a new med it's best to take it SLOW the first time and not be in public.

I'm on 150mg and I had two glasses of wine last night and it has left me feeling down and grumpy today. I think that alcohol on Effexor-XR really bombs me out. It's as thought the depressant effects of alcohol are enhanced by the drugs. I have no medical grounding for this, it is just how I feel.

I also find that I feel really tired and groggy really quickly after a drink on Effexor. I spoke to my doc about this and he said that it is normal and that one drink occasionally is ok but that alcohol should really be avoided while you are on an anti-depressant programme because it is detrimental to your good progress.

Hope this is helpful

Bern

• 3 weeks later...

when i was on 112.5mg of Effexor-XR alone i drank a fair bit and it was fine i just got drunk quicker. i think generally its a good idea to stay completely sober while ur taking antidepressants because booze can exacerbate depression and we really dont know what its doing to our bodies. i have stopped drinking since starting Remeron.

when i was on 112.5mg of Effexor-XR alone i drank a fair bit and it was fine i just got drunk quicker.

I am on Effexor, currently 300mg, and have been for 6+ years. I do drink occasionally ;) and I find that it takes a lot more alcohol for me to feel the effects of it. If I do get a good buzz going, it doesn't last as long as it did pre-effexor.

As with most meds, it affects different people differently.

Hi,

I think effexor xr turned me into an alcoholic. prior to taking it i usually had 2-3 glasses of wine a week. when i started the effexor xr it turned into 3-4 glasses a day.

I know this is a bit controversial. but thats what happened, and when i started tirating off effexor xr onto paxil the drinking somewhat slowed down...but i was still drinking daily.

that was about 2 years ago.

good luck,

december

Archived