Snotty Nurses and Staff at ER

I read another thread here where someone mentioned a snotty nurse when they went to the ER with an anxiety attack. I wonder how common this is.

It happened to me once or twice. I went to the ER one day because I felt I needed to be hospitalized for my extreme anxiety. I knew I couldn't get in by just saying I have anxiety so I told the lady at the front desk that I was suicidal. Anyway, they triaged me and took me back to a room.

While I was waiting, I heard the male nurse, who had triaged me, laugh really loud and tell another nurse (and the entire ER staff with his loud outburst):

"This guy says he is suicidal, let me go get him a gun and see how serious he is."

This pissed me off and made me feel like shit at the same time. I almost went out in the hallway and punched the fool. These people are supposed to be professionals yet they still denigrate those of us who come to them with serious mental health issues. It is still a sad state of affairs and we have a long way to go.

Anyone else care to share any similar experiences?

i was having a psychotic mania, and i remember this very clearly:

they took me to my triage area, where i was sitting (with my mom, and i'm 28) i there. i went to use the bathroom (yes, they let me do it alone), and when i came back, there was another family in my area, and my mom was gone! i flipped out!!!

my mom was just getting a drink from the fountain and came over to calm me down. they said this boy was having asthma and he needed the room more than i did, so they PUT ME IN A ROOM WITH ALL KINDS OF NEEDLES AND SHARP MEDICAL EQUIPMENT!!! i decided to kill myself. there was a lot in there to do it with! i started getting out the syringes and throwing them around, while my mom was trying to stop me. she didn't do a very good job. i was trying to kill myself and going psychotic. i made such a scene that the nurses came in, and patronizingly told my mom that they'd have to get security if she could not control me. HUH??? so i hadn't eaten, and i demanded a food tray, and it had better be vegan, or i'd throw it at them. they brought me non-vegan food. i threw it at the walls of the room i was in. my mom couldn't stop me. then i started throwing this "muffin" (more like a big golf ball) at the wall, having it bounce back to me, and throwing it again. my mom let me do it because at least i was leaving the medical equipment alone. they came in and asked her to control me again, noticed the mess, and asked for her help in cleaning it up....huh??? she refused and they called security.

my mom started telling security that i was a danger to myself and not others, that it was a huge mistake to put me in that room, and demanded i get put back in my triage room. i was just sick. the security people actually asked the nurses what their problem was, that they'd put a psychotic, manic woman in that kind of area. they took me into teh hallway and i was standing there, in my hospital clothes, freezing, where everyone could see me. i was screaming and yelling about why they took away my triage room and how i wanted it back. security was really nice and just asked me to calm down, and told me the people were coming to get me to take me to the hospital i'd end up at.

those people came quickly alright! they loaded me up and took me to the hospital. i think somewhere while i was in the needle room i demanded an IV for my migraine, and i'm sure they snuck some antipsychotic in there, because i was so tired when i got to the hospital that i could hardly sign my name on the intake forms.

another time, now this was IN the hospital, i was having a temper tantrum (duh, it is a mental hospital) because i didn't think they should be charging my insurance for food that i wasn't getting since my then husband had to bring me food every day (vegan). she turned to me and said in the snottiest, most insulting voice ever "you must be borderline". i took that as an insult to borderline people, not as an insult to me personally for having temper issues. what a snot!

Yes, it sux doesn't it loon? The problem is the ER staff (including docs) are trained only for heart attacks, strokes, broken limbs and the like. Really, most of them have no clue as to how to treat mental illness without first conferring with a psychiatrist. Often times this is difficult since many of us tend to go to the ER after hours when the pdocs are at home.

The last time I went to the ER, the psych nurse had to call the hospital pdoc at home and a lot of stuff I was trying to say got lost in translation. The psych doc really had no idea why I was there based on what the nurse came back and told me. Basically, if you ain't hearing voices or threatening suicide you don't get in.

I hope the day comes soon when I don't NEED to continue posting to this board. I feel so depressed right now. I haven't eaten anything in 2 or 3 days and I have no desire to talk to anyone even within my own house. I just sit and stare at walls and cannot wait for bed time when I get a chance to check out of consciousness for a while. I feel zombiefied. I am switching from Geodon to Seroquel, so maybe this is the problem. My moods switch at the drop of a hat. Rapid cycling is a bitch. I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel because I really am having a hard time getting stabalized on any particular cocktail of medications.

Take Care.

i'm pretty sure that was my most recent hospitalization too. i had to threaten suicide to get in. i at least had enough of my mind with me that i knew that if i didn't threaten suicide, i wasn't going to be admitted, no matter how stark raving mad i was. i knew i needed to be an inpatient.

i couldn't believe they put me in a room full of sharp medical objects. i opened those packages and was very lucky my mom kept me from SI/suicide. a woman is threatening suicide and you do that to her? it wasn't necessarily their words (though they did have audacity), it was their actions that really pissed me off.

i don't remember the dates, and i was too batshit crazy to write down their names and dates and times or something like that, but if i were being treated for non-MI reasons, i'd report them right away.

it is that they can get away with it with MI people, because we're too out of it to fight back.

edited to say- my mom was too worried about me and afraid i'd kill myself that she didn't take names and times either. oh well. an official complaint cannot be filed. i'm sorry, but it is first come, first serve in the triage. if it is that big of an emergency, and he must have my bed, at least tell me first and don't shove me in a room with dangerous objects. i could have killed myself in there. my mom has PTSD symptoms from that experience. i don't blame her.

Lesssee...the time before last, I was having serious problems with psychosis and was feeling suicidal...the entire ER staff at my local hospital were complete bitches. The ER doc, when she came in said "So, why are you circling the drain THIS time" ... I just wanted to die, it was awful.

The last time I was hallucinating my butt off and feeling desperate and afraid of my own shadow. I couldn't sleep due to the hallucinations and paranoia. We went back to the local hospital and after a few minutes the head nurse came out and said with a smirk "We don't treat YOUR KIND here, this is for medical emergencies", so we ended up late at night when my poor SO had to get up early and go to work, drive for an hour and a half to the nearest hospital that has a psych ward. Which was pretty cool with us really, but still, I'm sick of the holier then thou attitude they pull when someone is having a serious problem mentally. A lot of the people up on the "5th floor" are ok, but the doctors are jerks for the most part.

Wow. Mine wasn't quite as bad. I was driving to work and had a major panic attack. I get in, couldn't do anything, couldn't think. I took off, leaving the poor dayshift person holding the bag.

The hospital was just down the street. I manage to drive there. I get triaged. I was in the full throws of a panic attack. I was sweating bullets. My pulse was in the 150s.

I go back, hoping some doc will come in and hand me some vallium and let me leave. well, they take me back to a room. Just chairs, no bed, no decor, nothing to read. They left me there for over 2 1/2 hours. The only person I saw was the billing person to collect my info. after stewing for a while, a nurse comes in and says I can go home. I asked her if I'd see a doc and she said I was already discharged. I was pissed but I have a real fear of confrontation so I just left. My panic attack was over but I was still sweating and shaking.

So nobody was directly rude but I feel they were negligent. I got a bill for about $700 later but got them to dismiss it.

It was my first hospitalization, I was there for suicidal urges, I was in triage, and the male intake nurse wouldn't quit harping on the fact that I called myself "manic" even though I hadn't been in the hospital before. He couldn't believe that I had had a manic episode without ending up in the funny farm. It really pissed me off.

SDjeff,

What they did to you could be considered malpractice on part of the doctor on duty. You may have a nice hefty lawsuit if you wanted to pursue it. EVERYONE who goes to the ER is supposed to be checked out by a doc no matter the circumstances.

I have been to the ER 10 times with panic attacks and have seen the same doc each time. I am certain that he knows it is nothing cardiac before he even sees me but he ALWAYS does an EKG and some blood tests -- ALWAYS. He does this to avoid malpractice lawsuits in case something cardiac was really going on.

I say this because a panic attack is indistinguishable from a heart attack in its physical symtpoms (the ER docs have told me this numerous times). The only way they can be sure is to do an EKG AND some blood tests (for troponin and Creatine Kinease). So, essentially, what you are saying is that you may have been having a potential heart attack and did not even get to see a doc.

I'm sorry but an associate's degreed nurse is not able to tell a heart attack from a panic attack. You should have gotten to see a doc plain and simple. This is NEGLIGENCE. I know I would have pursued it.

Each time I've been hospitalized for being suicidal (4 times), I have had really good experiences. Both ER's I used had trained counselors to do psych adnits/triage. The last time I was in, my own tdoc, who works there part-time, heard my voice and walked me up to the loony bin. That was nice and very non-threatening. One time, I had just seen my pdoc, so they admitted me like a regular patient; I just sat at the little window and filled out forms for insurance et cetera. Pdoc had already called in basic info so they just sent someone down to take me to my room. Of course, he was a nurse I knew from a previous stay and that was comforting. I guess I've just had good luck with ER's.

Now, the first time I went to the bin via the ER it took from 10 PM to 5 AM to get me up to the ward, but everyone was nice.

Tommy

I mean, sure, being a emergency nurse/nurse practioner /student nurse/intern/doctor is hard work, but I didn't hold a gun to your head and force you through med school.... All that I'm asking for is the same respect (at least to their face) that you give other patients. Throwing monkey shit at us because you don't understand us is not exceptable...if our problem is out of your league, then find some one that CAN help us...but don't shuffle us off to the back room and conveniently forget about us for half the night while we are suicidal, having panic attacks, hallucination etc... if the plan is to make us so unwelcome for help, then you had better cut a deal with the crisis line people. They seem to think that we are supposed to come in for help...I'm getting a real chip about this

Oh goody, y'all made a thread just for me.

In any event, the local ER (whose medical school I work for, no less!!) likely knows me as the bipolar nutjob who came in twice for conversion hysteria, in April and September.

The last thing I need to be told when I'm having an attack of double vision and shaky eyes (nystagmus) is that "I'm so intelligent"... and having my MRI order (issued by the general ER doc) tossed out. The NDoc who did the aforementioned... yeah. Seeing her on fire would bring me indescribable joy.

Really, most of them have no clue as to how to treat mental illness without first conferring with a psychiatrist.

While I agree with this 100%, I have also had bad experiences with nurses and had to ban one from my room when I was giving birth. She was such a bitch. Of course the other 2 were awesome, but it sucks that snotty bitches give the rest a bad name.

and oh yeah, the time at the charity hospital-

i was at a charity hospital, being transferred to a state mental hospital, all of this being free.

i was hysterical and couldn't calm down. they tried klonopin (1mg doesn't do it for my hysteria) and benedryl, finally they locked me up in my own room and told me that if i didn't stop being hysterical, they were going to do THAT to me- the lady in the hall was wrapped so she was on a gurny and couldn't move her arms or legs, and was hysterical, like me, but she was schizophrenic.

i quietly sobbed in my room and waited 8 hours for the people to take me to the hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the ER one day because I felt I needed to be hospitalized for my extreme anxiety. I knew I couldn't get in by just saying I have anxiety so I told the lady at the front desk that I was suicidal. Anyway, they triaged me and took me back to a room.

While I was waiting, I heard the male nurse, who had triaged me, laugh really loud and tell another nurse (and the entire ER staff with his loud outburst):

"This guy says he is suicidal, let me go get him a gun and see how serious he is."

So, where and who is in the wrong here? You admit to lying your way in, what did you expect? Do you think you're the first person to pull this?

And who answered you above here said "I just wanted some Valium or something".

Good God People.

First of all.

There are things you can do for your anxiety. Real tangible things that will help keep you out of ER's. I have had severe panic attacks and never been to the hospital. Are you kidding me? The ER is for SICK PEOPLE.

We with anxiety are not sick. We have anxiety. And if you don't know the difference I suspect you'll be back in the ER before too long. We can do things for this besides wrestling up meds. Don't you have a p-doc? Can't you call your doctor or their service during an episode? Mine has a way to reach her at all times. Or someone when she is out of town. Is that so unusual?

I figured out long ago that the perfect med doesn't exist. You have to change your lifestyle to deal with this. Change your belief system.

Start looking for ways to deal with your anxiety. Stop wasting the ER's time.

Breeze

Breeze, aside from the ER issue, you seem awfully judgemental for someone who has had just as much difficulty

I think that lying to an ER nurse is a huge deal! I haven't worked this problem out yet either btw. It's better, but I still struggle at night with panic. But it's not from lack of trying things other than lying to ER nurses and then becoming upset when they reciprocate.

Look. I have a lot of empathy for people with anxiety issues. I really do and I've spent many hours suggesting ways in which people can work with their problems. Suggesting things that have worked for me. But there seems to be a growing trend on this board to try and score meds, rather than tackle the problem itself.

Maybe it's the age difference. Or the insurance problem, or people aren't seeing the right kinds of professionals.

But trying to score meds by numerous trips to the ER is not the way to solve the issues associated with Anxiety Disorders. It just isn't. And I'm sorry if you think that makes me sound judgmental.

Breeze

I think that lying to an ER nurse is a huge deal! I haven't worked this problem out yet either btw. It's better, but I still struggle at night with panic. But it's not from lack of trying things other than lying to ER nurses and then becoming upset when they reciprocate.

I'm not sure where to take sides on this debate, personally.

I generally feel like one shouldn't lie to a clinician, since that increases the chances of misdiagnosis (or unusually, clinician faux pas, as in the case of our own AS).

Then again, the next time my psiMS rears its ugly, neuropathic head, I'm sorely tempted to say nothing about bipolar, and nothing about my crazymeds (though the latter runs a risk, if the situation became serious and I went out for the count, danger can occur in terms of med interactions).

[note that for the above to work, I'd have to go visit a different ER; the one I've gone to before already has the preconception that I'm a nutjob, see previous post.]

in most states they will not admit you for psych reasons unless you are an "eminent danger to yourself or others". period. there are just not enough psych beds since deinstitutionalism.

a friend of mine called 911 because he thought he was having a heart attack. turns out it was his first panic attack.

anxiety disorders are chemical disorders. i have gone through times where i lost 10lbs because i couldn't keep food or water down due to anxiety. one time i had to be hospitalized because i was so dehydrated. i've had times where i could not feel my hands or feet and had it not been at 3pm when my doctor was on call, i would have gone to the ER, that lack of feeling was also anxiety. (and no, my doctor is not really available to me 24/7 and i am am lucky enough to have a good doctor and decent health coverage.)

yes, exercise, lifestyle changes, meditation, etc. are good ideas. excellent ideas and i always encourage people to do them. i love meditation. i love pilates. i love taking time to care for myself. but i also read over 1000 pages a week for my classes (in addition to the reading and research i do for my own projects), grade the papers of 90 students and write papers. so, despite my medication, exercise and meditation, i sometimes still puke. (less now that i am on better meds, but it still happens.) should i give up academia because i'm "just not cut our for it", or should i keep trying because it is my dream even if it means sometimes i get sick enough that i may need an ER visit. and i am okay with that because this is what i want to do and i'm not willing to let my childhood trauma and my brain chemistry (my ILLNESS) prevent me from having the life i want.

some people don't have access to good psychiatric care. some people financially don't have the opportunity to reduce their stress levels. some people don't want to give up a career they love. they can still meditate and exercise and do all the right things, but if your life is solid pressure all the time, there may be times where the anxiety breaks through so hard that you do need to go to the ER.

no, the ER should not be the primary source of medical attention for anxiety. But even people who do all of the "right things" (see a therapist and a psychiatrist, meditate, exercise, don't abuse benzos, take their medications as directed, etc.) and are lucky to have that level of care, even people like that sometimes have anxiety so bad they need to go to the ER. people with anxiety have a right to ER care. (and then there are the vast majority of people without access to that level of care... is it fair to judge them and assume that they are just looking for meds when the reality is they can't get sufficient care through our medical system?)

it's not just about med seeking. it's about the fear of death. about thinking, and feeling like your heart will explode. about dry heaving for hours on end. about not being able to breathe. go look up the DDM IV for panic disorders, it's not light shit that you can always just meditate your way out of.

do not belittle the pain of others by accusing them of trying to "score" some meds.

and on that note... i seem to recall that you have run out of klonopin early before. if you run out early are you trying to "score" or are you having a medical issue? why is it that if someone has to go to an ER they are "trying to score"? i guess i'm a drug addict because i've been hospitalized? is that what you are trying to say?

anxiety is being sick. it wrecks your body.

no matter how perfect we are sometimes there are emergencies. and, unfortunately, almost all hospitals will not admit you unless you are suicidal or are violent to those around you.

i don't mean to be snippy here, but i find the statement that people with anxiety disorders aren't sick to be completely absurd. nothing has caused more physical harm to my body than my anxiety and panic issues. (scars from self injury are nothing compared to a hiatal hernia from vomiting so much, and my doctors have told me that my chronic fatigue syndrome was most likely caused by the insane stress i undergo because of my GAD.)

do not tell me i am not sick.

i'm glad that your anxiety is under control enough that you don't need the ER, but do not judge people for trying to get help.

i do not mean this to be a personal attack, i'm just trying to explain that some people really do need the ER for anxiety, and that people with anxiety are indeed sick.

forgot some stuff...

If indeed one's that anxious, then yes, it's a clinical emergency. Clinical emergencies are self-defining entities.

As for AS's problem... actually, AS, I just have this feeling inside that you're suffering from that which you believe sucks (akathisia).

After getting up to about 5mg Zyprexa, I started experiencing "extreme anxiety". Neither pdoc nor I attributed this to Z, we both thought that my BP was just getting worse.

So my dose of Zyprexa going even higher into the 10+mg range. The "anxiety" got so bad that I had to give up a very well-paying and rewarding job in California and move back to Indiana to stay at home with my parents for a few months. The problem went away within a couple weeks of discontinuing Z.

There are just some people who should never touch a dopamine antagonist (e.g., any flavor of AP/AAP), and I'm one of them. Look and see if you are, too.

Penny:

I am sorry you took my statements so personally because they were not aimed at you. I went a bit over board when I said some that "anxiety is not an illness". For that I apologize.

My main point is still: many people use meds instead of seeking out other resources for their anxiety.

And perhaps if you are that ill, you are taking on too much in your life. It's not for me to say. Only you know the answer to that one.

But I most certainly was not speaking about you when I wrote my feelings about a lot of the people on this board and the things I read over and over again.

Sorry to upset you.

Breeze

my point was not about my taking a personal offense.

my point was that 1) people sometimes need to go to the ER for anxiety and 2) in most states you can only be admitted to the ER for psych reasons if you are a danger to yourself or others, so if you need help with a panic attack, oftentimes you have to say that you are suicidal.

it sucks. but that's how it is in some states.

and also some other things about differences in quality of care etc. but really that was my main point and i should have kept it short and sweet but i wanted to give examples of why people did indeed need emergency care.

as for how much i am taking on in my life. that is an issue that is between myself, my psychiatrist, my internist, my therapist, my professors and disability services. i did not intend that to be a pity post. i know what i am doing. my doctors know what i am doing. right now the greatest thing i could do to hurt myself, both psychologically and physically, would be to not follow my dreams.

I've never gone to A&E nor been hospitalised for my MI, I haven't gone down that path. The one time that I did need them (overdose) I was physically unable to call an ambulance, and even if I could have, I would have been unable to let them in as I couldn't move, and then passed out.

What I think is of MUCH MORE help, and more immediate, is that here they have a MI Crisis team you can phone 24/7, manned by trained pdocs/pnurses, who you can ring when it's urgent/emergencies. They're experts and can talk you through what you're going through, try to calm you down, and at the same time assess whether you are in need of an ambulance or further intervention and/or hospitalisation, depending on what's going on. To some of the above posters, don't they have such crisis numbers to ring in your area?

After reading some of the above experiences, I wouldn't go to some A&E and be made to wait for hours, being treated like substandard citizens by misinformed generic doctors and nurses who are too busy with patients they think need help more urgently. That is despite MI emergencies being just as serious as any other illness.

I take the side of leaving A&E (those without direct psych facilities) for patients who are physically hurt/injured and those whose life is hanging by a thread. In a lot of instances A&E are unable to give you the immediate help that you need. That's where those crisis numbers are for.

OMG!!!

I cant even believe that one would judge someone else for using the ER as an immediate assistance for anxiety. Yes, Anxiety is an illness.

and its still an illness when you have not been evaluated for the condition.

let me explain - earlier last week mom was dx'd with diverticulitis for the 2nd time...but ok to stay at home and given meds. as the week progressed she felt more and more anxious. So, she went to the hospital with all the signs of anxiety but she didnt know what was wrong. she didnt know to call it "anxiety" because she had never experienced it.

so because of the possible complications with diverticulitis she was admitted for overnight evaluation.

mom was released the next day.

even if mom didnt have any other medical problems - she still would have gone to the ER for anxiety.

and she wasnt under the care of a pdoc because she wasnt having any problems.

and yes, some of you may remember that i have mentioned my mom took paxil during menopause for depression. but as the menopause finished (or whatever is the correct term) she tapered off and stopped using paxil.....this was 6-8 years ago.

if the ER is the easiest available option, i agree - go.

december

Some places don't even have assistance lines available.

Or if they do, they aren't available 24/7 or they aren't staffed by pro's.

They are staffed by "trained volunteers" AKA "Jee-zus Freaks" around here.

Where if you just give over your soul to GAWD all will be well and you can

hang up the phone and go kill yourself efficiently elsewhere.

Yeahgeewhizthanx.

Maddy: I guess things are done differently in your country. Here the healthcare system is government funded (ie free, paid by people's taxes). These crisis lines are part of the government's public healthcare system. Kind of an extension of A&E but available by a 24 hour emergency number, for mental illness related issues.

I was not saying don't go to ER in a real emergency, merely stating that if these crisis lines are available they are a more immediate form of help than A&E can give you. This crisis team can assess you more immediately than having to wait for hours at A&E. And I don't mean the ones staffed by so-called trained volunteers.

Maybe the healtcare system over there works very differently to how it does here, but my conscience tells me that it's just not on to fake being suicidal in order to gain admission to hospital??

It does work extremely different over here.

And I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear about the "Yeahgeewhizthanx." thing,

that was aimed at the "Trained Volunteers", not anyone on this board.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

And the health services can vary WIDELY from within a few miles, like one county to the next depending upon which county you live in. Whether or not you have Private Insurance, have to pay for services "Out-of-Pocket" (in some cases NO Doctor will see you), or if you are considered "Indigent" or on "Medicaid" or "Medicare" (Which are two SEPARATE entities).

UGH.

And don't EVEN get me started on Indian Health Care Services. Yeah, right....

AAAHHH, AAAAAHHHHH.......

For clarity: ;)

I'm sorry I stirred the pot. DB - what your mom experienced was a reason to seek treatment in the ER. No doubt at all.

It's too bad that we live in a country where not everyone who needs the help can get it. Our local hospital here is a joke. We all have tattooed on our foreheads "don't take me there" just in case. Seriously. They kill people there!. I took my husband to the ER one night (unrelated to MI) and the doctor on the inside just starred at us because we couldn't find the after hours door. I mean. What a moron.

Anyway - my apologies to upsetting anyone who has been in a real MI emergency. Suffering myself from GAD, I know that there are times when you feel you are on death's door.

Some of the things I said were unfair and I apologize.

Breeze

I am switching from Geodon to Seroquel, so maybe this is the problem.

I just went off Geodon 60mg and let me tell you, the world is a different place without Geodon. I feel so much more alert and in control of things.

So here's my ER story ... the genius pdoc who put me on Geodon also decided to put me on Strattera, which interacted with something else I was taking and it made me hyperemotional, to the point where I had to be carted out of work in an ambulance. I was crying hysterically and couldn't stop for over an hour. Embarrassing, to say the least. So I get to the hospital and one of the questions I asked the ER doc is could the Strattera be causing the extreme emotions and he said no. Of course, I did the worst thing - I came home and googled. It took a couple of hours of reading but I finally found some hard evidence that Strattera COULD do that when taken with a certain class of drugs, one of which I was on.

I was so mad at that ER doctor, for a long time. Instead of bothering to find out the correct answer, he just gave me a "no" and cleared me to go back to work, where I had another episode of hysterical crying two days later that caused me to voluntarily abandon my career as a police officer because I didn't trust myself anymore to maintain control. I had to take myself off Strattera, but I didn't do it soon enough because that damn ER doc said it wasn't the problem. To this day I wonder how my life might have turned out had that ER doctor not dismissed my difficulties so easily. I also wonder if I'd not had that second episode if it would have been possible to salvage my career.

I was in a treatment program back in January of 2004 to detox off of benzo's. I freaked out the 2nd day there and walked out the door down the outdoor path ending up sitting on a school playground and railroad tracks. I sat on the playground sobbing and sobbing thinking about ending my life on those railroad tracks. I'm not sure how long I was out there, but I eventually found my way back to the facility. The staff were outside combing the grounds looking for me. They drove me to the local ER and told me to be honest about how I was feeling. I poured out my heart to the crisis worker. After listening to my story he asked me if I knew what he was going to say. I told him I thought he would send me back to the facility. He said no, he thought I should be admitted and he would go talk to the psychiatrist and start the admission process. He comes back 20 minutes later to say the psychiatrist wouldn't admit me cause I was doing this for attention. Huh! It was not my idea to come to the ER. The crisis worker's hands were tied.

I was driven back to the facility where I continued having suicidal ideation. Two days later just when I thought I was doing better, I was woken up out of a sound sleep with the nurse telling me "lifeline" was on the way to take me to the hospital. I went into shock thinking a helicopter was coming. Nobody would tell me why they were sending me to the hospital. I sobbed over and over, begging them to please tell me what I had done. I ended up locked in the psych ward for a week, which is another horror story.

After my discharge I wrote a letter to the hospital where the psychiatrist thought I was doing stuff for attention. I received a letter back with an apology, but that the psychiatrist was not an employee of the hospital. She worked there, but not for the hospital.

Just wanted to add that the ambulance took me to a different hospital. Not the one where the crisis worker evaluated me.

Archived