Disability Advocates of America

Ok. about 3 years ago I applied for SSDI. Naturally, I got the initial rejection 6 months later. they said I could go back to work as a security guard. Funny since I tried with two diferent companies. It only lasted a couple of days each. I couldn't handle it. I was barely working, I was on the razors edge and made less than their substantially gainful activity guideline, about $800 at the time. I could read the writing on the wall. This was to be my last job. Once I lost it that was it. I mentioned some of my rare social activities on the app. I didn't explain my symptoms very well. Important note: ALWAYS WRITE DOWN HOW YOU FEEL ON YOUR WORST DAYS. Not your good days, not your average days. It was a mistake that came back to haunt me later.

So in come Disability Advocates of America. I explained my circumstances and they took me on. I was assigned a rep named (real name edited out--CNS ). She will be referred to as JK from now on. So, with their help I filled out the reconsideration app, updated my psych records and waited. I had her appointed as my rep. She commited to represent me. I did have to get my own med and psych records. I think that's something JK should have done.

Two years go by. JK gets a letter stating my hearing was coming up soon. She relays it to me. In those two years I had 3 hospitalizations, I was in and out of the county mental health system (another good story) and was seeing a regular doc. Turns out I have some physical maladies that prevent me from most kinds of work. So I have the mental and the physical crap going for me. I get a call from JKs husband to see how things are going. I tell him I can get a lot more records. I ask him when he wants them. He said to wait until the summons or whatever is served. a month later I call JK and she said the SSA made a mistake and my hearing was not coming up soon. Would have been nice to know. I busted my ass getting these records in a short time.

After I (not JK) followed up with the appeals office again, I found out my hearing date was to be Nov. 20. The SSA said they have tried to contact JK several times to confirm the time but got no reply. The next night I get a call from JK saying she does not want to represent me. Perfect timing. I asked her why. She got abrasive and said I didn't have enough of a case. she cited what I put on my first app, the fact I was working (with the first app) and that there were not enough records. I told her I have more, (hundreds of pages) I told her what her husband said. It had no effect. I hung up on her and proceeded to have the worst SI episode in a long time.

So now my hearing is pushed into sometime next year. I got bumped from judge to judge. I'm looking for another atty. I think I found one much better. Another thing: I asked for the SSA file JK had. She said that because it contained mental health info she had to send it to the appeals office. I called the appeals office and that turned out to be a bullshit answer. I called JK and of course got no answer.

Bottom line : Disability Advocates of America are vultures lookin for sure slam dunk cases, they prey on your trust (especially if you are MI) and are about as uncaring as the SSA itself.

here's the thing- SSA should be the ones gathering your records. some say to gather them yourself, but in my case i let SSA do it and apparently they did a good job, because i got my SSD in 3 months. yes, 3 months. i'm a freak of the system. SSA actually treated me very well.

Archived