Sleep deprivation induced hallucinating

Hm. Does anyone else get so tired sometimes from lack of sleep that they start hallucinating?

Mm I'm going strong right now but then again I'm scat from yesterday's acid.

Sorry I don't really know why I'm posting this. Let's talk about how crappy it is to see inanimate objects move.

it is very possible to seemingly hallucinate due to severe lack of sleep.... I know from a great deal of personal experience. I'm sure that your last nights acid doesn't help either though.... hmmm...

sweet dreams? maybe?

Yes, sleep deprivation hallucinations are absolutely normal. Nothing new there to the medical community.

Without digging, I think they would be classified as Hypnogogic hallucinations, which are those experienced while falling asleep.

In years past, when my work often required me to go with little sleep I had numerous instances of hallucinations. This was a problem when I would start getting less than 5 hours a night, or going more than 36 hours without sleep. Visuals seemed less common for me, but plenty of auditory ones including music, voices etc. The most interesting one, I was briefing my replacement for the oncoming shift, and fell asleep, reawakened to detachedly observing myself talking. I don't know what I said to him, but the other fellow didn't notice anything odd in me. ;)

a.m.

yes they are quite common. once after 4 nights without sleep my refrigerator started talking to me.

but usually it's just odd color flashes or movements in the periphery or it seems as if the walls change texture.

and, i agree with ophelia, i'm sure the acid is making these hallucinations more intense.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, its definitely a fairly common side effect of extreme sleep deprivation. And acid won't exactly help, either.

It's never happened to me, but I know people that have experienced it. A friend of mine didn't sleep for 72 hours or so once, and he started talking about putting midgets in his kitchen cupboard or something. (I hope that isn't offensive, its not meant in that way, I'm just telling the story.)

Yeah, its definitely a fairly common side effect of extreme sleep deprivation. And acid won't exactly help, either.

It's never happened to me, but I know people that have experienced it. A friend of mine didn't sleep for 72 hours or so once, and he started talking about putting midgets in his kitchen cupboard or something. (I hope that isn't offensive, its not meant in that way, I'm just telling the story.)

it makes me think of kitchen cupborads filled with garden gnomes ;)

• 4 months later...

When I used to stay up for four or five days at a time due to my drug use (cocaine) I would have full blown converstations with people who weren't there.

- Are are they? No seriously, maybe they are really there, we just don't see them because they don't live on this plane.

maybe I'm serious...maybe I'm not...

it was weird all the same...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest odette

it is very possible to seemingly hallucinate due to severe lack of sleep.... I know from a great deal of personal experience. I'm sure that your last nights acid doesn't help either though.... hmmm...

sweet dreams? maybe?

Don't worry Ophelia (nice name). Yeah you can hallucinate from lack of sleep. This can happen to anyone. Please stop the acid - very bad for you!

I'm a bi-polar headcase. Doctor retiring in 2 months. 7 years down the drain. Can't see much light in my life. Serequel had me completely fucked. Take care! O

• 8 months later...
Guest riverstyxshow

sweet dreams? maybe?

Don't worry Ophelia (nice name). Yeah you can hallucinate from lack of sleep. This can happen to anyone. Please stop the acid - very bad for you!

I'm a bi-polar headcase. Doctor retiring in 2 months. 7 years down the drain. Can't see much light in my life. Serequel had me completely fucked. Take care! O

this is interesting I once had a hallucination due to lack of sleep and I was talking to a woman who's name was "drum roll" Ophelia. I came across this post by typing "ophelia hallucinations" I thought maybe this was a common one. Now it's time to contemplate the universe

yes they are quite common. once after 4 nights without sleep my refrigerator started talking to me.

but usually it's just odd color flashes or movements in the periphery or it seems as if the walls change texture.

and, i agree with ophelia, i'm sure the acid is making these hallucinations more intense.

So your refrigerator isn't supposed to talk to you? damn. ;)

• 10 months later...

I've had some crazy hallucinations from sleep dep, the most bizzare one was after about 48hrs sleep dep and only 4hrs sleep here and there. i saw trees running around and play fighting, running across the road and such. its lots of fun to see shit like that particularly when you're board

I have had the hallucinatioon thing recently myself...I have this little orange lighter that is always reappearing no how matter how many times I throw it away or stick it in a drawer, it always ends up on top of the computer monitor (spooky I know!) but I talk to if "where did you come from you little bastard!" and "aaah you got me again" the fiance thinks I am nuts....he he the funny thing is I AM. Also when it has been 3+ days with out sleep I start to think my cat is talking to me...she is in feline but I start to think I can understand her...thats when I know it is time to go to bed.

Today is night 3 with out sleep, this time not his fault ;):):)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest KNOWNWELL

DUDE IM FUCKING DREAMING NOW OR I DONT KNOW

imsooo fucking tired man

im going through it right now

im ggeeked out and running on 61 hours now

i cant tell if i am asleep or awake \

all i can hear is ringing and screams of babies crying that slowly turn like slow motion deep voice and im seeing bright lights ballls and my hands are moving realllllly fast

i feel like im dying

i ate waffles like twice

had no supplements to help stay awake but cocaine and i ran out 20 hours ago

sooo i dont think thats an issue to my insomnia

im just toooo tired to even sleep

i need to bookmark this to make sure im not dead

good post

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! but im not sure if it was only from being tired here ill tell you my story. this is 100% true and scared the crap out of me no jokes. might sound a little bit insane but this was a major hallucination. ok so i was really sick right and i slept on and off all day for about 4 days and when i just got better i wasnt able to fall asleep for a long time and i took a couple pills from my friend (he said they were sleeping pills) and i took them at 7:00pm and at 4:00am i still wasnt asleep just still watching tv up in my room (geussing these pills didnt work). so i needed to go to the bathroom right. i walked outside of my room and directly across from my room is my little brothers room and the bathroom inbetween ours. so i was walking looking into his room and i saw a massive tree growing inside his room so i was like what the hell? i walk closer and i see these two ninjas walk out of his room with blood on their hands and knives, they started whispering to each other (if only i remember what they said) but i thought they were going to kill me because they were looking right at me and slowly moving towards me. at this time i still really had to pee so i stupidly kept moving forward. and they walked RIGHT THROUGH ME! WEIRDEST FEELING EVER LIKE A BREEZE WENT RIGHT THROUGH MY BODY I COULD FEEL IT EVERYWHERE and i turned around and ran back into my room and closed the door thinking i was about to die and my brother was murdered. my tv was still on so i went to the guide channel with the time and the letters i saw were all in some crazy language or something i couldnt read them if my life depended on it and i waited for hours on end it felt like forever for my family to wake up staring at the door hoping ninjas wouldnt come in and murder me. omg scariest night of my life! this truly happened. also i hallucianted when i had a fever of 106 degrees fahrenheit about a massive bee the size of a bus chasing me with a time bomb with a deep voice screaming im coming for you and you have no chance of escaping! AHHAHAH but thats a whole different story and i wont get into it.. haha. anyways those are my storys. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have had lots of extended periods of no sleep - they tell me to go to the hospital when I am awake for more than 3 days, but I wait until 4 or 5, and they watch me for 3 or 4 days until I go to sleep; because I just blow through the medications that are supposed to make me sleep - to include benzodiazepines, Thorazine or Haloperidol. There were just couple of times, when I had auditory hallucinations. I knew was having them; because hearing a radio in your head, music and even commercials, did not make sense. Once in the hospital, I was reading, doing a jigsaw puzzle, watching TV and listening to the radio in my head, and the psychiatrist asked me to go to a conference room. When I went in the room, he asked me if I was moving my head because of the medication, and I told him no, just to the music I was hearing. He asked me why I didn't mention it earlier, and I told him that no one had asked. ;) Ooooops...

Hallucinations don't happen to me frequently. Once a General Practitioner told me "you realize that you are going to be having hallucinations soon" (I had only been up 7 days), and I told her "No, I am not". She then told me that the Visions that Indians (Native Americans for the politically correct) stayed up and starved themselves for three days were just hallucinations, and that I probably wouldn't even remember the conversation we were having. After the 12th day of beig awake, I was finally able to go to sleep for five hours, and the next day I again slept for about the same amount of time. So I was released; it helped that I worked at the hospital. About a week later, I pulled the GP aside and and talked to her about the conversation that I wasn't supposed to remember. I told her that everyone is different, but when dealing with someone in a manic state, their brain is working differently and standard rules can't be applied. She spoke with me a couple of days later, and actually apologized as she had spoken with a couple of psychiatrists who told her I was right. Duh, I have only been living with this condition for 23 years. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Spankinpankin
I've had some crazy hallucinations from sleep dep, the most bizzare one was after about 48hrs sleep dep and only 4hrs sleep here and there. i saw trees running around and play fighting, running across the road and such. its lots of fun to see shit like that particularly when you're board

• 1 month later...

Funny thing I was just talking to my husband about this this morning. I had another sleepless night. I am quite manic now and because of that I don't sleep or barely sleep. I am usually fine up until about 4 or 5 am and then I start freaking out. Last night I swore there were mice running around the floor. And then when I walked back into the living room I saw what I thought was a person on the sofa under my blanket. I think though the worst thing is the overwhelming paranoia I feel. Sometimes I swear there are invisible people in the room watching me. It's all very aggravating. At least I am not tired at all but I know these periods of mania where I don't sleep can't be good for my body. My pdoc told me at my last appointment that he wanted me to call him if I was still having trouble sleeping and that he'd prescribe something but I hate the thought of adding one more med to my cocktail.

• 1 month later...

Funny thing I was just talking to my husband about this this morning. I had another sleepless night. I am quite manic now and because of that I don't sleep or barely sleep. I am usually fine up until about 4 or 5 am and then I start freaking out. Last night I swore there were mice running around the floor. And then when I walked back into the living room I saw what I thought was a person on the sofa under my blanket. I think though the worst thing is the overwhelming paranoia I feel. Sometimes I swear there are invisible people in the room watching me. It's all very aggravating. At least I am not tired at all but I know these periods of mania where I don't sleep can't be good for my body. My pdoc told me at my last appointment that he wanted me to call him if I was still having trouble sleeping and that he'd prescribe something but I hate the thought of adding one more med to my cocktail.

i saw that rabbit just now,,, is it animated? its breathing... and moving its chest?@!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Im 15 and i went around 44 hours without sleep, and while i was reading about this stuff i heard whispers coming from outside my bedroom door and i basically cried and shit myself.

How do you tell the difference between psychotic symptoms (hallucinations/paranoia/delusional thinking) related to mental illness, and psychotic symptoms related to sleep deprivation? Seeing as mental illness often results in profound lack of sleep, how can you tell whether or not the hallucinations are related to extended wakefulness (which is in turn related to the MI) or if the hallucinations AND wakefulness are independent symptoms of MI?

Also, is it normal to feel energetic while sleep deprived? Does this happen to normal people or is this a symptom of MI? Does sleeping less make normal people feel energetic or is that strictly a crazy thing?

Curious for personal reasons.

• 1 month later...

"

Also, is it normal to feel energetic while sleep deprived? Does this happen to normal people or is this a symptom of MI? Does sleeping less make normal people feel energetic or is that strictly a crazy thing?"

I get that way

Guest ldo not signed in

I think most people who stay up a long time get more and more tired. I know I do after a few extra hours awake, though normally I get an energy boost right around when I ought to go to sleep.

I feel fortunate that I haven't been as sleep deprived as some of you, but once in college when I'd been running on 4 or 5 hours a night for a while, I closed my eyes for a second in a big calculus lecture and suddenly there was this really evil prehistoric dog about to bite my fingers. However, I didn't believe in it more than a second or two. Then there was the time I tried to wake up after not nearly enough sleep. I thought I woke up, but then it turned out I was still dreaming. And then I thought I woke up again... This repeated several times. It's been quite a few years now, so I conclude that I really did wake up that last time. But it might be nice to wake up one more time and be several decades younger. Especially knowing what I know now. I could go and put $1,000 into Microsoft. ;-)

Also, I recall some pretty weird stuff from consuming various funny chemicals way back when. Generally I could still tell what was real.

In addition to sleep deprivation, I remember once when I was completely alone for a few days (like no other human beings within a mile), random noises started to sound like voices. Stimulants for ADHD will do that too, at least for me, but it's very clear it's not real, and with time it becomes less and less common. Even better than the voices is the chorus in minor key from the exercise bike, or fake radio programs with words I can't quite make out. The refrigerator still does those once in a while.

Guest Tiberious

Hey Guys!

Im going to pull an all nighter, Im very tired, so I think it will work faster for me. I have been up since 6:00 AM and it is 9:29 PM. I might Go to sleep this time tommorow, or not. I refuse to sleep untill I have had a hallucination. I will Favourite this page and tell you how my hallucinations went! My name is Tiberious. ;)

Guest biscotti

So I was wondering what other people were seeing, and consulted Google. I haven't slept in about...43ish hours, I believe.

HELL YES INSOMNIA

</sarcasm>

so basically, whenever I don't sleep for extended periods of time, I tend to experience auditory hallucinations and mild visual hallucinations (usually limited to distortion/hallucination of patterns, and objects seeming to "breathe" or otherwise move/warp). A lucky friend of mine gets olfactory hallucinations. He finds it endlessly amusing.

right now: my hands are covered in lightning, not like "normal" electric lightning, but more akin to an intricate pattern of capillaries that moves and writhes on my hands, kinda like those electric laser ball things. And it's neon orange. Oh look, now there's like a laser-green background, too.

I keep hearing my cat (he actually is eating from his dish, which is right outside my room, but I keep seeing him in my peripheral vision, like he's chilling on my bed.

On the internets, I keep seeing black type look like blue hyperlink type. It's easy to see the real hyperlinks, but it's kind of annoying, nonetheless.

As of now, I hear this vaguely windy ambient noise, like one of the tracks on a trance song. Earlier I was hearing Metallica's song "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth" as if it were played by digital alarm clocks. But only about 3 or 4 sets of 3 measures of it, all from the beginning half of the song.

And stuff is breathing and all that. Which used to be kind of cool, but it doesn't top Jello World (which I inexplicably woke up to one night)

Holy crap one panel of my bifolding mirror closet doors is UNDULATING. And like...liquefying too.

I'd say things are pretty groovy right now ;)

Guest Guest reader

I will hallucinate when I take sleeping pills or Nquil. Its right before I'm starting to fall asleep. I will hear noises or voices and I'll see flashes of different images. Nothing scary, I can tell its fake...but its still kinda cool. The only problem is I get really crappy sleep. I get better sleep if I don't take any sleep aid.

Guest ZacWas'Ere

yep, I've had them as long as I can remember (even as a little kid I just didn't sleep well) sometimes it looked like the pattern on my wallpaper was moving or that my bed was floating or lots of little speckles everywhere.

Wow, exactly the same thing I would have typed ;) Even though I used to hate having insomnia, it sure was cheaper than other substances, and usually everything is funny :) haha, I personally think it's got something to do with small amounts of DMT being released into your system, hence the longer you go without sleep, the heavier your hallucinations are, generally I only get random noises and voices just as I'm about to fall asleep though, not while I'm awake and over-tired, I do remember when I was younger I would see random flashes of white light, though that hasn't happened in years :)

Guest JmarieMA

Hi I'm Jessica.. I have hever felt like this before. I stayed the night with my sisters I was twitchinh because of my past seizures. But before I went to bed I was talkin to myself but in "my reality?" I was talking to come of my aunts..that weren't there. My parentd nageed me to come on this site, I hope it helps someone like this site helped me. So the knolledge I have gained yoday is that if you do not fget enogh sleep, or has had seizures in the past.I know is scary my sister said I wasn't there mentally and i fuly agree wit her.

-Jess<3<3ika

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris

Wow thank God!

I've telling my fiance for years! If I ever can't/don't sleep for like more than 30 hours or so...It just starts. At first it only started for me as anything electrical was plugged in/running (fan, tv), and I would all of the sudden hear different words, but they were like my own, like I was guiding the conversation with their voice and way of communication....She called me crazy. Now....When i get sleep deprived, it's everything, the voices, now I'll hear any random voice of someone we know, or are close to, having conversations. I can't always "guide" them. I don't know if that makes sense. I'll see them too, the person. Sometimes they will even "move" or drift. They don't seem to do stairs. And they'll carry on conversations. (This is usually with two people, and I'm listening, in awe.) But THE SAME THING every now and then, I'll close my eyes, and the room is FULL OF PEOPLE. And they're all doing the same thing.

I have explained it to her more now, not sure if she believes me 100 percent or not, but she seems truly, scared of conversation about it.

I HATE not sleeping. It does, however, intrigue me; but still kinda scares the crap out of me.

Can you alter these, or is it just me, hearing what I want to hear, or don't want to hear?

Guest Chris

I have had lots of extended periods of no sleep - they tell me to go to the hospital when I am awake for more than 3 days, but I wait until 4 or 5, and they watch me for 3 or 4 days until I go to sleep; because I just blow through the medications that are supposed to make me sleep - to include benzodiazepines, Thorazine or Haloperidol. There were just couple of times, when I had auditory hallucinations. I knew was having them; because hearing a radio in your head, music and even commercials, did not make sense. Once in the hospital, I was reading, doing a jigsaw puzzle, watching TV and listening to the radio in my head, and the psychiatrist asked me to go to a conference room. When I went in the room, he asked me if I was moving my head because of the medication, and I told him no, just to the music I was hearing. He asked me why I didn't mention it earlier, and I told him that no one had asked. ;) Ooooops...

Hallucinations don't happen to me frequently. Once a General Practitioner told me "you realize that you are going to be having hallucinations soon" (I had only been up 7 days), and I told her "No, I am not". She then told me that the Visions that Indians (Native Americans for the politically correct) stayed up and starved themselves for three days were just hallucinations, and that I probably wouldn't even remember the conversation we were having. After the 12th day of beig awake, I was finally able to go to sleep for five hours, and the next day I again slept for about the same amount of time. So I was released; it helped that I worked at the hospital. About a week later, I pulled the GP aside and and talked to her about the conversation that I wasn't supposed to remember. I told her that everyone is different, but when dealing with someone in a manic state, their brain is working differently and standard rules can't be applied. She spoke with me a couple of days later, and actually apologized as she had spoken with a couple of psychiatrists who told her I was right. Duh, I have only been living with this condition for 23 years. :)

The first time I ever had something like it was when I hadn't slept for a few days, I was laying on the couch, and I could hear like radio commercials in my head, and like vise-versa. I thought I was insane! It still happens if I don't sleep for a few days, but it's like 10 times worse at night, especially when everyone else is in bed with the lights out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Im going to pull an all nighter, Im very tired, so I think it will work faster for me. I have been up since 6:00 AM and it is 9:29 PM. I might Go to sleep this time tommorow, or not. I refuse to sleep untill I have had a hallucination. I will Favourite this page and tell you how my hallucinations went! My name is Tiberious. ;)

haha thats funny man im the same thing. im not givving up until i feel like im on acid haha no drugs at the moment ssooo why not... what happend?

Guest tibetious

Hey Guys!

haha thats funny man im the same thing. im not giving up until i feel like im on acid haha no drugs at the moment ssooo why not... what happend?

i didn't try to hard and i failed. Since your a guest like me, i dont know when youll see this, but ill try again today and see how it goes...

OK this is fucking stupid. I'm closing this thread because it's going in a stupid direction and we don't encourage drug use for the same reason that we don't encourage other stupid shit like staying up all night to induce psychosis:

It's unhealthy.

Go revel in stupidity somewhere else.

Archived