I love DBT!

I seriously think the quality of my life has dramatically improved since I started, it's a lifesaver for me. Anyone else feel positively about this part of their recovery?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DBT has done some good for me but I found that I already know most of it ( a lot of the main concepts I've learned from meditation studies and such, I don't know most of DBT, just most of the main concepts), and with class and work I decided to wait on continuing. I've noticed a big change in a lot of the people that go, though. But since I'm so up and down and trying to deal with a lot of the situations I've got going on, the last thing I need is one more.

• 2 months later...

what is DBT?

this isn't the best reply... but here is the wiki definition of DBT.

it is a form of therapy that is a blend of buddhism and cognitive behavioral therapy that was designed to help borderlines learn to regulate their emotions, and just generally be happier people. it has been clinically proven to be effective, and it saved my life.

I miss my DBT group... *sigh*

But hopefully I'll get back. It was helping a lot. I just go through periods of where I don't want the help, and that frustrates my therapist and my group. Those were getting fewer and more far between, but I have/had a DBT therapist, and her same office ran the group I was in, and she was one of the facilitators.

DBT = <3

Guest Guest_Lucy_*

Glad to hear such good things about DBT!!! I have been newly diagnosed with Borderline, and it's still sinking in...(been dx BP for a long time)

I have my first intake session with a DBT place on Monday, then they will deside what group I belong in (whatever that means!) I'm glad I am starting to feel excited about it. Initially I was just down about the whole thing; ANOTHER damn diagnosis!

It will be nice to have a group because I am very isolated now (don't work, and applying for SSDI-the eternal wait. They denied me the first time around, guess I hadn't tried to "off" myself enough times...) But, I hope I make a friend or two in class...

Glad to hear such good things about DBT!!! I have been newly diagnosed with Borderline, and it's still sinking in...(been dx BP for a long time)

Lucy,

DBT is really great. It can change your life. It's also really hard... but worth every second of struggle. I don't even dx borderline anymore because of DBT. (I still have lots of problems and I'm far from perfect, but it really did help.) I still use (or try to use) DBT every day. I'm excited for you that you're starting soon. Let us know how it goes, and feel free to ask any questions, parts of DBT are confusing and hard, and those of us who've gone though it are happy to try to help make it more clear.

feel free to PM me anytime.

i'm doing a 4-day a week 4-5 hour a day group therapy program at one of the hospitals in my city that has alot of DBT components ... its pretty cool i guess. I'm convinced that regular DBT is the only thing that is going to help my personality issues. Regardless of whether or not i'm Borderline (i'm Cluster-B trait/ Personality Disorder NOS) i'm just really, really badly behaved and have constant issues with episodic freakouts and whatnot.

i'm doing a 4-day a week 4-5 hour a day group therapy program at one of the hospitals in my city that has alot of DBT components ... its pretty cool i guess. I'm convinced that regular DBT is the only thing that is going to help my personality issues. Regardless of whether or not i'm Borderline (i'm Cluster-B trait/ Personality Disorder NOS) i'm just really, really badly behaved and have constant issues with episodic freakouts and whatnot.

i think that's great that you're going. for a while i was doing DBT 4 days a week. there are times when we need that much support.

DBT can help a lot with controlling freakouts. help you be mindful of the things that lead up to the freak out so that the freak outs become fewer and farther between and maybe even stop. chain analysis is my favorite DBT tool for post freak out time. (i don't know if you've done this yet... i don't mean to patronize.) it helps you see the things that caused it, and having reasons feels good. at least for me reasons feel good.

Archived