Your Favorite Course

yeah, i'm just curious,

for all of us who have either graduated or are still in the process of going to school, have you had a favorite class? why was/is it your favorite?

i liked interpersonal communications because we focused almost exclusively on non-verbal communication. what words people actually used were irrelevent- we were looking at their body language, the way their voice fluxuated, and all of that other stuff that makes up over 70% of what information we get from someone. we did experiments just watching people from a distance to guess what they were talking about, and that kind of stuff (just the general gist of their conversation- laid back, intense, whatever). it was easy and fun at the same time, and i got an A, which always thrilled me. i also learned how to be more in touch with my own body language to use it to convey my meanings better.

Hmmm. Cultural anthropology was incredible, great teacher. Earned a B- and loved it.

Film studies was good but the teacher sucked shit and I stopped attending except for screenings and failed hahaha. But man, some great movies in original 70mm.

Art history and studio classes. Mmmm. Yes.

Introduction to Buddhism changed reality.

Physio psych, design criticism in architecture, software engineering all kicked my ass and were loads of fun. I like my ass kicked apparently.

Adult ed classes rock. I need to take more more more more. Acting was soooooo much fun. Woodworking too, made a shaker table and can cut perfect dovetails by hand. Yay!

Worst classes ever: statistics, earth science 101, um... windows programming was unspeakable evil in that i actually enjoyed it at the time. I took one class called career decisions for children of dysfunctional families, which was... educational.

yeah, i'm just curious,

for all of us who have either graduated or are still in the process of going to school, have you had a favorite class? why was/is it your favorite?

i liked interpersonal communications because we focused almost exclusively on non-verbal communication. what words people actually used were irrelevent- we were looking at their body language, the way their voice fluxuated, and all of that other stuff that makes up over 70% of what information we get from someone. we did experiments just watching people from a distance to guess what they were talking about, and that kind of stuff (just the general gist of their conversation- laid back, intense, whatever). it was easy and fun at the same time, and i got an A, which always thrilled me. i also learned how to be more in touch with my own body language to use it to convey my meanings better.

*giggles* i really need THAT class. i might flunk out cuz i miss all the damned non verbal cues, BUT all autistics should take that class!! at least get SOME clue about what the hell people are using in their top secret communicatin!

abifae

A tutorial on Essentialism and the Philosophy of Language.

There weren't too many readings, and I got to write a paper every two weeks. I like to write philosophy. I loved the course because I was alone through and through. My teacher was on leave in a different country, so we communicated by email. I think I loved the course so much because there was no person-to-person communication with the teacher, and I got written answers to all my questions. Somehow, I find it very hard to follow verbal explanations or answers.

The papers for the tutorial ended up forming a large part of my thesis, so the work I put into it did not go to waste.

for those who actually caught my anal sex comments, it shouldn't surprise you that one of my favourite classes in undergrad was "Queer Desire and Representations of Gay Men" in literature, film, art, theory. yeah baby, Mapplethorpe.

Mediations of Identity.

The politics of power. but i just like every class i took with Malcolm..

and my favourite grad course has to be Medical anthropology. yeah, we read more Foucault.

*drool*

for those who actually caught my anal sex comments, it shouldn't surprise you that one of my favourite classes in undergrad was "Queer Desire and Representations of Gay Men" in literature, film, art, theory. yeah baby, Mapplethorpe.

PJ: are you a bloke? I'm somehow always wrong on forums, if I think your a boy; your proablly a girl and vice vversa.

Mapplethorpe rocks and I'm not even gay.

This actually makes a good lead in to my fav class. My favorite class was contemporary cultural studies, my lecturer Ross had just finished his doctorate and wrote his thesis and made a series of art works and had shows aroundf tthe theme of the anas as a way of seeing. His big exhibition was titled anal vision and involved large scale paintings of anas'... that's not why it was my fav class I just thought I'd keep the continuity of the thread going and lead in.

This was my fav class because we could write about anything we wanted too and we had big word limits for an undergrad degree. I had the most fun writing an essay about contemorarry written language and the emergence of new languages for text messaging and email/chat/forums (back when that was still a new thing)... easiest higgh distinction I ever got.

I had 2 courses that I loved. I was a criminal justice major and that just facinated me. One class was "Seriel Killers". It was taught by a guy named James Fox. He's on tv all the time when a serial killer is executed or caught. He's huge in the field. When he taught the class, 20 years ago, he was totally into research. He would take a semester off to write and and interview famous serial killers. He would do all these indepth psych profiles. For class we would have the profile and based on it, try to identify the killer. It was awesome!!! He would have all these taped interviews with guys like Manson and Gacy. First hand stuff. You really felt like part of stuff. It was terrifying, but facinating. We would have all their records, as far back as childhood if there were any. Wow. The class also talked about horror movies and how some were actually based on real serial killers, like texas chainsaw. The other class was criminal psych/forensics.CSI stuff.

I loved all my history courses: Western Civ I & II, and US History. My political science intro class was also interesting.

I didn't do very well in it, but I also enjoyed a course in microbiology that was taught by this guy who used to work for the CDC. Had some great, hilarious stories. I was so proud that I did well on my final lab where I had to identify an unknown specimen through various tests. Only got a C in it [science is not my strong suit] but I really liked it.

I have to say, nearly 12 years after getting my bachelor's I probably got more out of a lot of those basic courses than I did many of the courses in my major [English Lit/Writing.]

yeah *i*, isn't that funny, i also got more out of other courses than i did out of my major courses! i loved the communications and management courses, like the interpersonal course and organizational development. my major was fairly dry econ, so my papers were written so normal people could understand what i was talking about and not in some econ-specific lingo, and my profs love it so much, i breezed through my major.

RLGN240 Science and Religion

That was a fun course. I'll just leave it at we all would depart class with one of those ice cream-style headaches. Painful enlightenment, if you will. Massive activation of the 5HT2 receptors in the temporal lobe.

RLGN223 Roots of Religious Conflict in the Middle East

This course just pointed out to me how much mutual vaginal sand there was between the various factions involved in conflicts here. Figures, it's all desert. My ultimate impression is that the respective conflict leaders need be slapped upside their heads.

GRMN330 Re/Constructing Reality

Interesting German seminar on the documentary film and how it is impossible to purely objectify anything.

For example, "What would we see if we filmed this course from under the table we're sitting around?" ;) [actual quote from my professor]

Also liked it since it, for a fellow student and I, culminated in a final project that was a bilingual documentary film portraying an archetype of the American city.

I got to take some really cool classes.

One of the most awesome classes I took was a 400 level English class that had a name I don't remember and was basically shadow editing the literary magazine for the university. We read the submissions that had made it through the slush pile each week and had a mock editorial meeting, and then attended the actual meeting. It was a very, very cool class and a pretty invaluable experience.

I took a feminist pedagogy class that also taught the discussion sections for women and gender studies 101, which was another really awesome experience. Hard. Really fucking hard. But amazing.

All my creative writing classes, which were my passion. We were a pretty small department with small classes, so it was basically going to hang out with my friends and talk about writing for a couple of hours. I had to apply to be in one of the courses, and it was year-long for 3 hours on Friday morning. There were 6 people including the teacher, who was a first year MFA student. We went out to breakfast instead of to the classroom sometimes. We went out for drinks after readings. I had amazing writers for teachers, one in particular who did so much for me I can't even blurb it. Haha. I am a different writer because of him- I am a writer because of him, in a lot of ways. He helped me get to a level of understanding in the process, knowledge, etc, that I can still really learn without him. He's my poetry dad. Hahahaha. I owe him an email.

And then I also took this summer course on Ken Kesey, who is actually from right outside of Eugene (where I went to school). So we had a bunch of people come in and talk to us (Babbs, etc) and took a field trip out to his farm, where his wife still lives. We got to go out to the bus, which is parked impossibly between two trees. I don't even know how they got it there. It's growing into the soil. And there are all these funny little notes and songs and words and messages all over the place.... really, really cool. Beyond cool.

I guess I got to do some pretty neat stuff. Heh.

undergrad:

a module in the year long Religious Studies course I took... it was on ancient aboriginal religion, which has had zero impact on my life since lol The lecturer was such a charismatic guy who genuinely loved his research. Brilliant.

Behavioural Psychology. Also b/c of the lecturer. He really made the material come alive and the paper we wrote for the class was a huge learning experience. (I went on to become a member of the faculty and seriously embarrassed myself in a meeting by blurting out how much I'd loved his class)

In my masters:

Generally heavygoing stuff, but there was an excellent module on Curriculum Policy. I got to focus on material directly relevant to my dissertation, which was invaluable. Otherwise it was dry dry dry.

PS loon - economics always terrified the hell out of me.. hats off to you!

Favorites since enrolling in grad school:

I had an intro econ class as one of my grad school prerequisites. It probably didn't go into any more detail than the intro-level undergrad courses. I found some of it interesting--it was good to learn a lot of the business-speak and some of the other concepts--it's nice to be able to better understand what's going on when there's something business-related on the news. I'd say that's one of my more interesting courses, though I didn't like some of it.

Right now I'm more or less enjoying my International Business class--a lot of it is about cultural differences and how they apply to business. That part is pretty interesting. Some of it is pretty dry--I'm not really interested in the parts about how to market internationally. It's another class that is helpful when it comes to understanding current events.

Both are prerequisites that don't have a lot of direct connection to my course of study [accounting,] but I appreciate the education I've gotten from them so far.

I forgot to mention, I really enjoyed an Abnormal Psych class I took as an elective back when I was an undergrad. But I think everybody who takes that particular class probably finds it memorable.

My all time favourite was a course called "Environmental, Forensic, Toxicological and Medicinal Chemistry". It was a third year chem paper in my first degree. It was fun as it wasn't difficult, it applied chemistry to the real world out there.

• 9 months later...

Shool

Art, Art history. loved it, my family is full of artist, my dads art my a crazy serealist artist, and I was so good at it (we have wack pics in our home)

Science, so the othe end, but just find it fascinating. Love logic

University

Biochemistry - incredible interresting, and I was dam good at it. I love knowing how things work, putting pieces of the puzzel together.

Diet therapy - Covers every disease inthe body, so interresting and how its effected and treated nutritionally, pharmocology and sports nutrition ect..

Organic Chenistry - was hard, but because I did it in a langauge I didn't understand, and let me tell, relearning he periodic table in another language and do first year med, was hectic, but loved it

Behaviourl Science - was verry interresting, and at this stage we only had 18 girls in our class so it was reaaly personnel, and it was like chat sessions, learnt about everyone in our class

Miss my art!!! But thats my free time!!!

sorry I gotta ramble some more...

I also think that my more advanced psych course, Physiological and Biopsychology, takes the cake (or at least a cupcake). I'm planning on doing a career on the pure biological side of it (that is, if my frontal lobes can biologically get fixed so that I can lead a normal life).

and just for blabbering purposes, I absolutely feel the need to post some quotes from my biopsych prof, Dr. D. (who used to be a stand-up comedian whilst in grad school!!):

"Voiding yourself might not help you fight an attacker, but it could make them flee!"

"Once you sit down, it's not like your body's still telling you that your hiney's on the chair... hiney on the chair, check... hiney on the chair, check... hiney on the chair, check..."

"I've done drugs! ... no no no! I meant that I've read academic papers and done journal research on them!!"

"Muscle people! What do we call them... [long pause] Right, bodybuilders!!"

there's some more, I need to find the main file of quotes to provide this thread with further OT fodder.

Archived