i'm debating this right now.

first of all, due to my unstable job history, my credit is scary bad. i mean halloween bad. it is so bad that i wouldn't be able to lease another apartment, so i have to stay here where i don't want to be.

SO-

i need to repair my credit.

should i go through the process myself, of first trying to get a deletion and if i can't get that then beg for a settlement, or should i have a law firm go through the attempt to get deletions first and then attempt to make settlements?

i don't know if it is more effective to go with a firm or to do it myself. i have an eviction on my record and i don't know if that can be deleted at all. i'm sure it is on file. this definately would prevent me from renting another place, no matter how perfect the rest of my credit is or how good my payment history in this current place is! evictions are just bad news, and that is what i really want deleted the most...

loon

Hey Loon:

Im right there with you. I did bankruptcy last year before the laws changed.

I havent paid my student loans in a year. (yes, half was forbearance - the other half me not caring).

and apparently "DIVORCE" is big deal on the credit reports, so i have been told.

So...if anyone wants to steal my identity & fix it - you're welcome to do so. ;)

credit sucks,

december

There has to be a way to make one's credit report look better. I mean, if you pay off your outstanding and late debts, isn't the report going to reflect that? Can't you then request that the credit agency take that crap off your credit report?

in that topic, i was asking what tools i could use to get my rating back, assuming i would be doing it myself.

in this instance, i am asking if you think i should have a firm to help me with initial legwork and take the negotiations from there.

there are several different reasons you can cite on your letter as being the reason you need an item removed from your report- sometimes it may be easier to click on one and have that letter appear rather than write one out. on the other hand, my real story in my own words may be the best thing.

that's what i'm asking this time. the question is different. i did go to the website, and either it is having technical issues or my web browser (opera) isn't displaying what it should, but i didn't see any links under the links section.

i'm actually looking for a good consumer credit repair site that i was always going back to before and i can't find it now- don't you hate it when that happens?

loon

Be careful when getting involved with credit counseling. They can be more detrimental than a bankruptcy. If you are disputing something on your credit report, dispute with the credit reporting agencies. Equifax, Experien, etc. You do have to back it up though. If not, then making your payments on time will help tremendously. Try to get a credit card and pay off in full monthly. If you want to move, you may be able to find an understanding landlord. Explain the situation. Also you are getting Social Security and that means steady income. Any past bad credit will come off after 7 years I believe. I have been through a bankruptcy back in 1999 and I have rented, bought 2 cars, have a credit card, and my credit score is 720. It can be done.

Good luck Loon! I know things will work out for you!

Sondra

kablume,

all of my debt is student loans and medical bills. i don't own any credit cards to pay off! i had some, and they have already been paid. they are marked as derogatory though. i'd just have to get them to rename it as paid as agreed or something.

when i'm done "rehabilitating" my student loans they'll come off my credit report, so that will help.

my debts are beyond the point where credit counseling would touch them anyway.

so the counseling isn't an option. but i still don't know, do you think i should do the disputing myself or go through a firm to do the disputing?

loon

I have been through a bankruptcy back in 1999 and I have rented, bought 2 cars, have a credit card, and my credit score is 720.
How did you manage that with a bankruptcy? I thought nobody would give you credit until the 7 yrs was up. I'm not doubting you... just don't understand how you did it.

Loon-you can dispute yourself and save money. Go to all 3 credit agencies websites and look at how to dispute.

Libby-I have no idea how I did it. But you can get credit. I bought 1 car when I worked for a bank but they said I had to have 5 yrs into my bankruptcy. I co-signed for my daughters car right after my bankruptcy. If you decide to try to re-establish credit, try Providian or Capital One.

We got 2 new credit cards and bought a house within 2 years of a bankruptcy.

How? Well, you can't file bankruptcy again for 10 years so they know you are on the hook for 10 years.

As for using a law firm, Hubby and I did that when buying our first house. There was an apartment complex that left bad stuff on our credit. We had a misunderstanding on when our lease expired. We ended up moving out a month early.

We paid $300 to get that disputed item removed from our credit. It was off for about 1 month before the apartment complex called the reporting agencies back up and had it put back on! When we called the lawyer...well...our retainer was used up so they wouldn't even talk to me. I ended up doing it myself anyway.

Save the money....try it yourself first. You can always get a lawyer later if you aren't getting the results you want.

good action plan WZ- i'll try it myself first, and if the results aren't what i'd like, then i'll try this lexington law or ovation law or one of these other firms that keep sending me email to sign up with them (how does the world know that my credit sucks?!).

edited to ask- does anyone know what kind of impact defaulted student loans have on your credit? i'm guessing a lot, since my other issues aren't nearly as terrible, but just curious. did anyone see their score go up a lot when they got their student loans back into shape?

Archived