We've been talking a lot about meds and the fact that the ones that work have horrible side effects. Has anyone heard of anything promising that is close (like not more than a year or so away) to being approved?

Janssen could bring something out witthinn three months, but that's just "a cleaner version of risperdal".

Most of the other stuff I've heard of are dopamine system regulators instead of total dopamiine antagonists, so they may have more effect on the negative/cognitive,disorganised stuff but probably won't be used as front line meds. Instead they will be more like abilify whhich is considered to further stabilise an already stable psyche and is generally used in conjunction with low doses of other meds like seroquel or risperdal.

Although we do talk a lot about the horrible side-effects of meds, it is worth remembering that these differ for different people. Also, I think we tend to come here to bitch/complain/seek advice about things that aren't going well, so we don't do so much sharing of what meds we like, tolerate well, and find effective. Maybe we should start a thread on that..... ;)

For what it's worth, I currently take 50mg of sertraline (Zoloft) and 200mg of Seroquel a day, all at night. It's taken me a little while, but I've worked out that if I take it before going to tae kwon do training in the evenings, I either don't have or don't notice any side-effects. And the combination seems to be working. I have however switched to brown rice, bread and pasta in order to avoid weight gain from the Seroquel.

xx

• 1 month later...

Archived