We seem to spend a lot of time on here discussing how horrible the side-effects of our meds are, particularly the AAPs. I take 200mg of Seroquel each evening, which 1) works and 2) I tolerate really quite well (having tinkered with exactly when to take it). In short, I LIKE Seroquel!

So, come on people, tell us your positive meds stories! What do you take that helps and doesn't make you grow a second head??!!

xx

I LOVE ABILIFY.

not only has it completely stabilized by mood swings, but i find i'm a much more easygoing person while i'm on it. and while the side effect of akisthesia (sp?) sucks, its completely treatable with propranalol. I love alllll my meds, actually. ;)

I love Seroquel.

It allows me to get a full night's deep sleep every single night and I am a lifelong insomniac who would have one hell of a time getting to sleep otherwise. This is important for keeping my BP in check.

It keeps my BP mind chatter under control. It also makes me less anxious.

When I need it, at high doses, it knocks the crap out of full blown mania. Completely. Thank God. My pdoc is convinced that it acts as a prophylactic, too.

I hope she's right.

Angelwhore,

The intro music to Charmed is by The Smiths. The song is titled "How soon is now?"

Here are the other lyrics; love them.

I am the son

And the heir

Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar

I am the son and heir

Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth

How can you say

I go about things the wrong way ?

I am human and i need to be loved

Just like everybody else does

I am the son

And the heir

Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar

I am the son and heir

Oh, of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth

How can you say

Oh ...

Oh ...

There's a club, if you'd like to go

You could meet somebody who really loves you

So you go, and you stand on your own

And you leave on your own

And you go home, and you cry

And you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen "now"

Well, when exactly do you mean ?

See, i've already waited too long

And all my hope is gone

Oh ...

Oh ...

You shut your mouth

How can you say

Ok ?

2utopian

i like my risperdal. it works for me (depsite a few minor issues) because it stops the mind chatter, keeps my mood from getting high, and keeps me from being psychotic (i get psychotic during episodes of intense mania or depression).

i've taken all the AAPs and have good and bad things to say about each one.

I love my seroquel too, it allows me to sleep when I need time out from my life, allows me to sleep thru hangovers (when I have them, try to avoid them lately), allows me to sleep in the day if I've been up all night.

It makes me still groggy for about 2-3 more hours even after 12 hours of induced sleep, but hey, I can live with that!

I love my risperdal, it works on my paranoia, my voices and my hallucinations really well. It just makes me a dress size bigger than I would be and I lactate.

I'm also on the Lilly bandwagon. Zyprexa and Prozac for me.

I manage with these meds pretty well. No major side effects, just some minor weight gain. Other than that, and feeling approximately normal, I've not noticed any bad effects.

This is after spending the last seven years trying many different combinations without much luck. I'm glad I made it this far because this combination is nearly miraculous for me. Good stuff.

I love my zyprexa. It allows me to sleep and not be manic during the day. I also love my ativans. Lamictal has been a life-saver, too, in stopping the rapid cycling. Come to think of it, I'm so thankful that we found such a great symphony of chemicals that makes life bearable!

"Such a great symphony of chemicals that makes life bearable"

What a great quote, Andrew! I love it! Sometimes we can get resentful of our meds, wishing we could go off them, wishing we could be "normal" and all that, but the fact is we are lucky we have these medications to help us feel normal...

I have taken all of the typical APs except for Clozaril. I have to say that the Risperdal I take is pretty good. but not as good as Zyprexa. I just had the weight issue on that one. I was also a zombie.

Risperdal (for me) is the blue ribbon winner.

Archived