good gospel in the morning

withing

As many of you know, I currently reside in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. Today is the day we are voting on an ammendment to ban gay marriage. I voted this morning (how I voted withheld - thank you). Because I voted this morning and received my little "I voted" sticker, it started a discussion with a regular on my morning bus ride who happens to be a pastor. He knows I'm agnostic, I know he's a pastor. We get along okay. We started talking about the seperation of Church and State. It was a nice, civil, quiet conversation.

My oh so lovely bus driver overheard him ask if I agreed about taking prayer of school - even though we were half way to the back of the bus and not speaking loudly. She butted in. She misunderstood the question and didn't hear the answer. All she heard was "take prayer out of school." She started quoting the bible to us - loudly, and started to sing gospel when we simply stopped talking. She's promised to bring her "Holy Bible" tomorrow to prove that the phrase "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in there - I told her it was not because that is a misquote. I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

I wonder if it's against some city ordinance to be preached at on a city bus. I don't want to get her into trouble, but I don't want to be a captive audience either. What can I do? That is the only bus I can take to work.

ugh.

Wow....just...wow....

:::looks at calendar to make sure it is 2006 and not 1806::::::

You could contact her supervisor and say that she is a professional, helpful driver, but you are being made uncomfortable by religious conversations the driver is engaging in. That way you are addressing a specific behavior and not attacking her as a person. Even an annon. letter or e-mail might work and that way it wont be traced to you...since it could be any rider.

Are the bus drivers union? That would seriously reduce the oddss of her being fired over this. Unless she has done this before, a verbal warning or writen reprimand are the most likely results.

No need to start a new civil rights war. Besides, MLK is dead...er...Madeline Murray Ohare is dead.

Wear some headphones tomorrow. Doesn't matter whether they are connected to anything. Smile at her when you get on the bus and say good morning, and go to he back of the bus. If she tries to bring up the topic, tell her you are busy and don't want to talk.

a.m.

No need to start a new civil rights war. Besides, MLK is dead...er...Madeline Murray Ohare is dead.

Wear some headphones tomorrow. Doesn't matter whether they are connected to anything. Smile at her when you get on the bus and say good morning, and go to he back of the bus. If she tries to bring up the topic, tell her you are busy and don't want to talk.

a.m.

Headphones are a great idea!

a.m.

I guess I fall between those two (MM Ohare was athesist right?). I'm not trying to start anything. I just want to avoid being preached at before I've had my morning coffee. Is that too much to ask? *sniff*

I'll try the headphones and see if they work. I'm certain that she will talk right over them... She has a very loud voice and extremely strong opinions about everything (always the right ones of course). I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. :-/ If not tomorrow, she will "remember" another day because she has to show me the error of my ways you understand.

Of course (here's to hoping), she may forget all about it. :-) I'll keep my fingers crossed!

hehehe

i still endorse writing a letter. it is reasonable to expect to be preached at if one goes to a church sunday morning, and it would be ridiculous to complain. it is not reasonable nor acceptable to be interrupted by a bus driver's irrepressible religious zeal while on one's way to work, especially not in a country which pointedly opposes the imposition of religion (contrary to what fotf would have one believe). i recommend you do exactly as wifezilla has suggested. state that the driver does her job well, but you don't appreciate the impromptu sermons. if she has indeed brought her bible with her or otherwise continues her proselytizing, then it is doubly important for you to bring this to the attention of her superiors, but i think even once demands some attempt at remedy. please write.

She did it. She brought the bible on the bus and proceeded to point out what it says to me - complete with hightlights, bookmarks and everything. The disputed phrase wasn't in there of course (Spare the rod, spoil the child)... but the "message" is. She even got out of her seat to follow me to mine and prove her point. I smiled and told her that I didn't disagree with the fact the message was there. I'd only said that those *words* were not. Ohhh, well, then that's okay. She went back to the front of the bus, still preaching about how we should discipline our children because the bible says so.

One of the other passengers got angry and phoned her in. Not for her preaching or singing (which she did again today), but because she took the *time* to do it, and the other woman was afraid she would miss her connection. She need not have worried. If this bus driver is anything, she is punctual. However, it took the bus driver's attention off of me, and now those two have a greivence.

I'm still writing a letter. Anon of course.

Hi,

I read this thread yesterday and was wondering what would happen this morning.

I definitely think it is against the rules to preach to others on the bus. Im sorry you had to deal with this.

Ive had bus drivers sing as well...but usually they are quiet and just really singing to themselves. if ms bus driver starts handing out chorus sheets - watch out!!!

well, at least she is punctual. ;)

i hope your rides in the future are less religious, and more quiet.

love,

december

in such a religious area of the country, especially in an area where the bus passengers weren't worried about her bible thumping but that they would missi their connections, it seems highly unlikely that she would get anything, except maybe a "don't do that" from her boss.

i'd do what WZ has suggested and write a letter, explaining the kind of behavior that has taken place and ask that it be remedied. simple and to the point. unless she has a terrible record, then she won't get fired over some sermons. heck, her boss may even like her more, but just suggest, in the name of our alledged civil rights, that she tone down her ways,

or, if you're brave enough, tell her that in the way of neighborly love that you do not want to discuss religion on the bus. and just leave it at that, and refuse to discuss it further.

but her boss definately needs to know about it.

once i was using a disability pass on a bus and the driver said to me "you can't use that, it's for disabled people". i told him i am. he said "you don't look like it to me". it ended up getting ugly, with me calling his supervisor and threatening a lawsuit.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate buses as it is and someone preaching gospel? Oh hell no. I'd find one of those satanists books and start reading in that eerie assed Latin to her one morning. lol. Otherwise I'd write to her supervisor. I have enough triggers in my life than to have to listen to stuff like that in the morning. jeez.

lilie

Archived