I have been watching the television recently and those freaky "Talk to Frank" adverts about cannabis affecting your mind and needing a brain transplant. They really get to me.

I just want to get a general feel for how many people on the board feel that taking alcohol or illicit substances contributed to their developing psychosis

Despite the good consultant trying to pin my psychosis on a personality disorder, I never had a problem with psychosis until I started smoking obscene amounts of cannabis. I firmly believe that the alcohol and drugs I consumed triggered something in my brain (dunno what) that led to acute psychosis.

Just wondering if any of you had similar experiences you would like to share

blackbird x

A very clever friend of mine (who happens to be in narcotics anonymous) once said to me that there are 2 types of users.

Those where the drug is the problem and the problem pretty much stops when they stop using, and those whose problems start when the drug is taken away.

Essentially the theory is that many people self medicate. Drug psychosis is a real and serious phenomenon, but it tends to be temporary. If you have a condition like schizophrenia for life its less likely to be attributed to a single drug psychosis episode.

I was displaying far-out paranoiac symptoms months before I touched illegal drugs (apart from a few tokes on a joint when I was 15 that did nothing), then I turned into afiend for anything I could get my hands on. I think the drugs did make things worse, particularly cannabis. Haven't touched the stuff in 3 weeks now, wihch is some kind of record for the past few years, and I've been feeling better (and have reduced my medication by a tiny 25mgs as an experiment) - until last night..

I still drink like a fish and it probably doesn't help me get on with life.

Here's the threadjack cos I don't much care. I've been communicating with someone from these boards for months now, every day via email, messenger text and voice chat and phone text messages. It's got pretty intense. Brought back a lot of obsessive thoughts and anxiety I used to have (amoungst the good stuff you get from having a friend). Last night, for a multitude of reasons she wrote "well keep on obsessing over some girl who pulled your chain 8 years ago and piss away the rest of your life living with your parents" and I gave her loads of abuse and cried myself to sleep then woke up seriously suicidal. She wasn't being entirely nasty by the way - she likes talking to me. I've just sent this email:

Subject - pointless manipulative cry for help in the key of stupidity

body - "I'm a dumb insensitive slovenly ugly jerk-off loser with an irreversible negative attitude to life and I'm going to piss away the last few days before I kill myself

I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead. I'm better off dead."

This is a bit of a threadjack. Suffice to say I have alcohol problems and cannabis and other things have altered my mind. I'm just in a bit of a state. Going to call up a friend and drink in the afternoon to stop thinking about ways of killing myself.

First off, congrats for staying off the weed for 3 weeks lost, that is a great achievement

Secondly, I don't envy your problem with the booze. If I ever feel my motivation slipping I will look at this thread and wake up every morning thanking God for my sobriety. Alcohol will never do anything in life except bring you down. I hope you are as lucky as me in finding a way out of this nightmare, and watch that you don't do something stupid when you are drunk, I know the power booze has to take a person very low indeed if they are already depressed

keep safe

blackbird x

i only i inhaled pot once, and that was with now-ex bf#1. it didn't do anything (probably because i didn't do it again, lol).

but drinking is a different story...

for me, drinking triggers mania. if i go party and get drunk, i lose my mind totally and am worthless. it gets worse and worse, and even if i stop the behavior i'll keep going up and up. i need some quick pharma action to stop those upward trends!

i can't drink more than 2 glasses of wine or cocktails or whatever - that's my limit, after that i'm putting myself at a huge risk.

i've just identified this trigger, so i'm working on not going otu (at all these days, to be safe), and staying away from alcohol, except the here and there glass of wine here at home.

loon

DD swears that topamax is the evil drug that caused all this. It's hard not to agree....there was virtually no sign of any problems until she started taking the drug. Within a couple of days she started hallucinating and things went downhill from there. The doctor took her off after about 5 days (hard to remember exactly now) and things continued. The doctor swore it couldn't have been the Topamax because the psychosis would have stopped when the meds were discontinued. It took some research but we found studies from England indicating a reliable correlation between Topamax and onset of psychosis. What can I say. I don't know except that it's very odd to have had virtually no signs at all and then WHAM. Some day the powers-to-be may change their opinion on this topic.

Yeah...I was pretty messed up before I started drinking and smoking weed, but when I did, wow...everything became worse. All I did the first time I went to college was get high. Afterwards, I started smoking more, and after a traumatic experience, I became delusional.

Now, I wonder what my life would be life if I had gotten help early and stayed away from the alcohol and marijuana...

I've been depressed since I was a kid, anxious since I was about 14, BP w. some psychosis since I was 17. Full blown psychotic symptoms now the last year (19).

I started smoking (huge) amounts of pot when I was 16. I don't know what contributed to what. According to my pdoc it has nothing to do with the bipolar, but it is the direct cause of the psychosis.

If it fucked me over for life... I can't really know since I'm too scared to stop taking Geodon.

Alcohol right now is messing me up now in some ways I guess. I drink at least two days a week, getting drunk at least once. I've drank since I was 14 (13?), so I can't see it as a problem, even if it might turn into one.

• 1 month later...

blackbird , with me it started with an acid, i explain it in the topic "how did it started with you", later i've gone to my actueal pdoc with my father and he said - doc, my son drinks!- he replied - as long as he doesn't do cannabis or heavier... - so yes, i drink sometimes, i smoke cigarretes and that's it.

But doc said to me it was a illness i got that was triggered by acid(lsd).

P.S- i've smoked alot of cannabis before without problems.

Archived