What does usually make you feel depressed/manic?

Another question from the I-suspect-to-have-bpII-UD-Circling guy. This time I'm asking all those who have bipolar disorder, how do your depressive/manic episodes start? I mean, are there particular things that usually elevate you to euphoria/mania or crash you to depression?

For me, if I'm deep into depression, listening a track or two from my favorite music band will almost certainly get my mood sky high up to mania. (Does usually not work at all, however, when I'm semi-depressed or in a mania-depression mixed state) There have been times when I had been depressed, feeling guilty of everything (even my existence), wanting just to stay in bed, for hours. Just then, if I listen to some of my favorite new age music my mood gets sky high up to mania, feeling awesome, exuberant, lively and euphoric.

Is anything similar happening to any of you or I'm just being crazy? ;)

i can't speak to your experience, because i don't know if it is an organic issue or not.

i know that what usually will trigger me is thinking about my dad too much and blaming myself.

what will make me manic is- you guessed it- partying too much.

my episodes could last for a couple of days to a couple of months. usually there are little ups and downs within that period (like i'm in a mania but i may come down a little for a little while, then right back up).

i think we're all different. ;)

I wonder how much of my depression is organic or is fueled by lousy life circumstances. I am certain it is both, but it is terribly hard for me to differentiate between a "bad day" and "I need a med change." My bad days can get pretty bad. I often wonder how different my mindset would be if I weren't unemployed, alone and broke. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Lack of sleep tends to make people manic.

As people have more and more cycles (i.e. as they get older) their cycles become more and more autonomous, i.e. less linked to environmental triggers.

I've found personally that while most of my cycles happen without regards to environmental influences, chronic stress can make me depressed, and sudden stress can sometimes make me hypomanic.

Thinking about how my wife treats me (verbally and emotionally abusive) tends to make me even more depressed than usual. I don't feel up very often, and only had a mixed episode once, It came about because of ruminating/fixating/obsessing about my former girlfriend and listening to voices telling me to kill myself.

Tommy

My biggest trigger is me. I have an amazing talent for screwing just about anything up and then either beating myself up or becoming completely irresponsible.

Sounds like your behaviour is pretty BP to me. Bien venu au club.

My own thoughts often trigger depression, usually accompanied by anxiety, but (something like Noemie), chronic stress makes a constant grieving/guilt depression and sudden acute stress makes me superwoman (likely rageful), then the guilt creeps in and I'm back to depression.

I have to be very careful of all medications I take, I am ultra-sensitive to all cold medications, and anti-depressants, and most meds that were tried to stabilize my disorder.

I can not drink alcohol.

It really is one half a glass of wine, and that is my limit.

So, I guess chemicals would be the main culprit now, that trigger manic attacks for me.

My first one ever was caused by very high duress.

Which I had no clue to what was happening to me at the time.

I now know, and have PTSD also from that circumstance.

But since knowledge of having such, and being in therapy, and understanding the feeling, I have not had such a manic attack to that extent, or any mania unless I was under a chemical misbalance.

So, if careful, I suppose I can keep such an awful one, or any from ever happening again.

That is by all the extent of my own personal power.

For that I am very thankful, and hopefully that does mean it is not genetic, so not be passed from me to my children.

But, I suppose they should beware of alcohol.

Which I have warn.

Hopefully they listen.

Aly

I used to be in the "atypical" depression category where I'd feel like shit all the time, save for occasional 5-10 minute episodes of euphoria when something nice happened to me.

At the current time, the major thing that makes me depressed is a decrease in (primarily hippocampal) serotonin release, followed by an up-regulation of 5HT2 receptors in the hippocampus and frontal/temporal lobes. Hypomania is essentially caused by the opposite, and is generally correlated with a swing straight up out of depression.

There was some degree of sarcasm above, just to let y'all know, but I'm not sure exactly how much...

As herrfous just wrote above, I too am mostly, always, in a depressive, low mood.

I rather see it as a sadness since it only came so upon me after the manic attack, and that first one was unknown to me for what it was, and was left untreated.

I did know something was very wrong and scary, but the EX was not for such psycho treatment, and surely not meds.

He felt it was something one did just get through with family, church, prayer.

Anyway, being unmedicated, the first manics were actually energenic, and useful, they helped me to go to college and work, while having one young child at that time.

And the lows were not so bad, and very fleeting.

But left untreated, and with each manic, I got hit harder, and the lows were longer, and much darker deeper hole.

Till it became they way took over the manics.

Now is the time where I would need to be triggered as told in my first post here above, by such that caused, or brought on my initial manic attack and the PTSD.

Or a chemical substance to misbalance me.

It is very tough to see happiness at all.

To feel it at all at this point and for years now.

It does take something very significant externally to bring me out of it.

Such as the thought, hope of being with my children, one works in TV and other just started at Temple University.

They have not wanted to be in my life since "all" of this hit bottom, so four years now.

So they have not seen me since I have been in therapy and on proper medications for bipolar.

On my own, just me, I really can not see, feel joy anymore at all.

It is a tough road, and to me it feels very isolated.

So, again as far as avoiding triggers, I just have to watch my meds very carefully, and all that goes in my body.

Also to try to not, and this is really hard one, not keep playing over and over in my head, what i could have done differently to not get this illness, or how I could have dealt with it better, so my family could have dealt with me better.

So they would not have felt like I was weak and no longer the person, Mom they knew and loved.

Those are the things that can throw me off the deep end.

Aly

Yes, the next morning after having that extra drink can really make me manic. So can a sudden stressor, or argument, or finding myself in a potentially stressful situation.

I anticipate the stress, and then my mind races & totally overanalyzes the possibile outcomes. It gets out of control from there.

I rarely get down nowadays. But boy, do the mixed states & manic episodes fuck up my life & relationships sometimes. I regret many things I've done during mixed states when they end. I hate it.

Lack of sleep was certainly a contributing factor in my last manic episode. The less sleep I got, the higher I became and less I could sleep etc.

Otherwise, as Loon said, partying (argh! I'm using a noun as a verb! [see "Pedantry"]), alcohol, music, finding things funny and ambition all make me manic too.

I am an obsessive and I can easily become manically obsessed with things.

Depression is triggered by stress and I think I probably have SAD to a degree too. I think my BP was worsened by the trauma of cancer treatment.

I anticipate the stress, and then my mind races & totally overanalyzes the possibile outcomes. It gets out of control from there.
Me too.

I'm not sure exactly what causes mixed states with me, but they do happen.

boy, do the mixed states & manic episodes fuck up my life & relationships sometimes. I regret many things I've done during mixed states when they end. I hate it.

Yup - that too! I have a big problem with casual sex when manic, and also generally making a fool of myself - saying whatever comes into my head, regardless of whether or not it's appropriate.

when i was younger up to 35 i guess i was hyper/hypomanic all the time with brief periods of depression.

the last 10 years have been periods of mania 1=1/2 months 1-2 times a year with the rest depression.

does this really get worse with age? if it does i don't see how i'll survive this. i mean what do i have to look forward to. i just keep hoping that something will come along to change things:ie new meds or just some miraculous organic shift in my brain chemistry

Since I have just had the wonderful fun of some rapid cycling the last few days--first time in a while--but definately hypo/mixed/all that shit--I can say that a LOT of this one was triggered by situational depression.

My life sux, presently, and its getting to be the holidays, and--well, you get the picture. So--down I went, WAAAAAAAY down, so far I actually was as suicidal as I have been, and even went off to the pdoc for an emergency appt. But what goes down, usually comes up---waaaaaaay up, and for the last couple of days, its been flipping the ole switch almost hourly. I can tell this is pretty situational, and also physical (I have no stamina, am eating really bad, no exedrcise, no ability to DO anything) because I have been able to stop the spiral, with my DH's help, a couple of times.

So--

china

This all really interesting. I haven't been able to figure anything that causes me to go manic or depressed. Although I have noticed that if I'm manic and people start looking at me weird then it tends to get more agitated. For me I don't think there is a trigger. I don't sleep when I'm depressed and I don't sleep when I'm manic. It's just boom!

Archived