Hello all.

I have been interviewing for part time positions since recently resigning from an unhealthy job environment.

There is one doing research at a local university that I have had my heart set on for WEEKS. The interview went well, it doesn't pay much but the contacts and experience I would gain would be SO valuable.

I even passed on another job offer making double the amount because I was holding out on this one.

BUT, this job has been leading me on for 3 weeks now. I check in once a week, the HR person says they are interested and I'm one of their top picks, and that they will call me by Tuesday of next week. Then Tuesday rolls around and no phone call.....

but then they will email and say we are still very interested in hiring you, sorry about the delay, you will hear something by next week. And then next week rolls around and the same fucking thing.

They just sent me another email today apologizing for how long it is taking (BUT NO Explaination for WHY it is taking so long, other than the beuracratic nature of large universities takes a long time.)

I am TOTALLY still interested, but I'm wondering if this stringing along behavior is going to be indicative of their management style during employment.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I run in the other direction?

Having been on the other side of the table, there are several possiblities.

- The decision maker is being wishy washy and can't make a decision

- They aren't taking care of business in a timely manner

- They are trying to get one candidate, but are hedging their bets and want to keep you available

- They don't have the position/funding quite in place to make the offer

The best thing going for you is that they are going to the effort to contact you and let you know that you are still in the running.

Good luck.

a.m.

Thanks A.M.

These reasons were all running through my head.....

I guess I'm wondering if you think this would be a decent place to work given those reasons?

We'll see...I'm just confused.

I'm sure it has all been placed in my path to teach me a lesson.

I don't think this reflects on the the work environment. Your best judge of that would be the feel that you got during your interviews. Interviews work both ways. The one other way you might decide would be to contact some of the people who work there and talk to them.

a.m.

Same thing happened to me at this university. They had to go thru all the red tapes to get the new position approved, because in order to get me at a higher pay grade they had to create a new position/acquisition and then I had to re-apply for that new position. It took about 6weeks for all that to get done.

I've worked for a university before. Universities are usually a big place, professors/supervisors are usually very busy managing a lot of different things, courses, students, marking exam papers, meeting deadlines, and so on. From teh sounds of it the person who makes the decision whether to hire you is probably busy with a huge number of other things.

Don't take it as possibly being a bad environment to work in, it just takes a bit of time to get these things organised in large organisations like universities. It's not like in some places where they need to hire someone in a hurry to keep the production line going, or whatever.

I'd say hang in there, and give it a bit more time. The upside is that they are still in touch with you, which is a good sign! They wouldn't do this if they weren't interested.

Keep us posted on the outcome won't you!

Hi,

At the university of florida - i had a similar problem. I interviewed with the 2 co-supervisors. one had me pick out a health insurance plan DURING THE INTERVIEW. After that I called every few days, went back to the office several times and talked to the supervisors and kept getting strung along.

after about a month of this, i recieved a call from a completely different person saying i didnt get the job because i didnt pass the typing test. I NEVER TOOK A GD TYPING TEST. the supervisors never mentioned it. I called the supervisors several times after and they never returned my calls. then i got the letter from them saying "thanks, but we hired someone else."

I was too young at the time to know any better.

So....my best suggestion would just to keep applying and interviewing at different places. If you need money...there is only so much waiting one can do.

Good Luck!!! (and if it is at UF - I hope you dont have the same problems as myself).

december

Archived