CrazyBoards.org

Medication Equivalency Of Trileptal Vs Topamax

Guest Guest

Hi there :-)

I wonder if any of you will be able to help with this who are fimilar with Trileptal and Topamax.

I was taking Trileptal and doing well but had to stop the medication due to some bad side effects.  I was actually only taking 300mg a day - I respond well to low doses of medication (higher doses can actually make me worse)

So my question is..what would be the equivalent does of 300mg of Trileptal in regards to Topamax approximately?...would it be 25mg 0r 50mg?

Would do you think?

I look forward to anyones knowledge/advice about this

H

Guest Guest

Hi there :-)

I wonder if any of you will be able to help with this who are fimilar with Trileptal and Topamax.

I was taking Trileptal and doing well but had to stop the medication due to some bad side effects.  I was actually only taking 300mg a day - I respond well to low doses of medication (higher doses can actually make me worse)

So my question is..what would be the equivalent does of 300mg of Trileptal in regards to Topamax approximately?...would it be 25mg 0r 50mg?

Would do you think?

I look forward to anyones knowledge/advice about this

H

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm neither really. And appropriate dosing depends in part what you are taking it for. And I'd like to know what constitutes "very bad" side effects, for my own reasons.

Tegretol can be roughly substituted, but Topamax is a different drug with different mechanisms of action. They work in the same part of the brain, but they cant be quick fix substituted. In addition, your response to 300mg Trileptal is in no way predictive of a low dose response to Topamax, since they are processed differently (liver vs kidneys) and a lot of that has to do with how efficient those organs are--I take microdoses of liver meds, but can handle up to 575mg Topamax a day. Go figure.

See www.crazymeds.us/topamax.html for more information about Topamax.

And all this is talked about on the dose equivalency page and the basic info about psych meds page, which are linked from www.crazymeds.us. I dont have the URLs for those memorized, but you can find them from the main site very easily.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, lets try this way. (these are drugs i've tried and either had too much side or effects or basically I couldn't handle them longterm for want of a better word)

when I took lithium it was 400mg

..sodium valproate was at 400mg

..........Lamotrigine was at 25mg

.... carbamazepine was at 200mg

..... oxcarbazepine was at 300mg

Each of the above was taken as monotherapy and as you can see quite clearly I respond well to small doses, and am happy taking as small dose as possible and this is what my psychiatrist give me small ones anyway!  I take this for bipolar and quite honestly I am far more happier taking as little psychiatric medication as possible (i would much prefer to have none) but I realise I cannot control my illness without medication and am fortunate at this point in time that I can get away with taking so little of any medication given to me.

So bearing in mind this, *if* topamax worked for me as a drug in general, do you think perhaps 50mg a day based on my previous history would be enough? 

LOL I think i've just answered my own question really..but still I thought it may be worth posting here to get some more thoughts...

Guest Guest

Yeah I see what you're saying about 50mg of Topamax being no where near the theraputic range..I actually think though that there is no standard thearputic range like a one size fits all...otherwise everyone would be on exactly the same doses..what I hate about these medications is that as much good as they do to treat the mental illness, at the same time they cause alot of destruction to the rest of bodily organs..they fix one thing yet brake another :-/ At least they fix though I guess..

The best dose isnt the lowest dose, it's the one that works.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ I like that quote!

Thanks for the replies

ps could you shed any light on why it says on the topamax page on crazymeds that you may have to stop drinking coffee?..and why this is?

The best dose isnt the lowest dose, it's the one that works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I largely agree with this sentiment. But, there is often a range of doses that lead to positive outcomes in terms of what you're trying to treat. And sometimes the benefit can vary over a range of doses. At the same time, for many people push some of these drugs too high and you get limiting side effects. So, I think in defining the dose that "works", you sometimes end up trading off therapeutic benefits against the negative side effects, leading to dosing at the lower end of the therapeutic range.

~cache-monkey

Archived