It's been 11 days.... Can I just quit the Lexapro?

I'm taking 2.5mg of lexapro. I haven't really noticed any changes, except more mellowness (tiredness) & a little loopiness. I am thinking I might want to try a natural remedy instead for my anxiety. I have been on the 2.5mg for 11 days. Do you think I can just stop taking it, or will I have withdrawal symptoms? I really don't know what I want to do at this point. I know I don't want to take more than this doseage, but I'm not sure if it's really going to do anything for me. If the low dose is not going to help me, I'd much rather try a natural remedy...

Thanks for the info!

My opinion is to follow your doc's advice and stick it out a little bit longer. Some meds can take a while to kick in. I haven't taken lexapro before, but being on such a low dose is unlikely to be of much help.

You can still try a natural remedy, but check with your doc as to which one is not going to interfere with your antidepressant (I know St John's Wort shouldn't be taken concurrently with an AD).

Good luck!

To give you a very general answer (I can't be specific about lexapro because I've never taken it), some side effects are only present in the early stages and then disappear as your body adjusts to the med, some side effects stick around longer or for the duration of taking a med. In most cases, any side effects will disappear once the med has cleared out of your system (this can take a short or a longer time, depending on the half life of the med).

Hope this may be of some help.

It sounds like you're anxious about taking your meds, in any case, best to get reassurance from your doctor.

I guess I'm just not totally sure I want to be on this medication..... Everything I read about the side effects - the possible seizures, the brain damage - and then the horrible withdrawal symptoms.... It just scares the crap out of me! Since I haven't experienced anything life-changing yet - I know it's only been 11 days, and my doseage is very low - I'm wondering if I should just live with my anxiety..... I'm wondering if I should just try SAMe or 5htp or something else. I just don't know what to do! I'm just scared that if I really don't want to take this medication, I should stop right now or I'm gonna get hooked on it & my brain is going to be scarred for life & then it's going to be hell to quit it.....

So, yeah, this is the kind of worry that I pretty much deal with all the time.

Is it better to live with it or give Lexapro a shot....???

If I only knew the answer!!

So, yeah, this is the kind of worry that I pretty much deal with all the time.

Is it better to live with it or give Lexapro a shot....???

If I only knew the answer!!

The following should be taken in addition to my other posts:

How severe is your anxiety? There are lots of non-med things you can try to decrease your anxiety levels and worries.

Several things come to mind:

- journal writing

- mindfulness

- self soothing

- meditation

- visualisation of peaceful scenes

- counselling / therapy to talk over your anxieties

Anything that has the potential to be calming, really.

Medication is usually only half the solution.

PS I don't think lexapro is addictive.

PPS I quit prozac cold turkey after being on half the dose for about 7-8 days and had no problems discontinuing, no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.

Give Lexapro a shot.

Give Lexapro a shot.

We have tons of users who have been on Lexapro and I can honestly say I don't think any of them have ever or know anyone who has ever received brain damage from it. There is almost no chance that you will have a seizure (you're not prone to seizures or anything, right?).

You will not get "hooked" on it as in you'll be laying in bed screaming for your goddamn lexapro. The withdrawal symptoms don't affect a lot of people at all and aren't that bad for most. My withdrawal from Paxil (which is a drug known to be notoriously hard to get off of) was pretty unpleasant... but only really lasted a few days.

I think that most of your worry is coming from your anxiety disorder, to be honest. I don't mean that to be condescending. But really... Lexapro will not ruin your life. I can almost guarantee it.

2.5 mg is a tiny dose and probably has little positive effect. I can't tell you what to do. But I think it would be a safe, wise move to continue with the Lexapro. I think it's worth a shot. I think the dosage may need to be higher for you to see any real change in your anxiety. I do not think that you are in any measureable way more likely to have any of those awful side effects from 5 mg than you are from 2.5 mg. I may be wrong... but those are still very small doses.

Side effects from most of these meds are some variety of unpleasant... and sometimes are somewhat dehabilitating. But they're usually not permanently life-altering. Seriously.

You know, every time I think that I can "just live" with my anxiety, my therapist - once again! - convinces me that I'm miserable..... and maybe I am. I'm just so damn irritable all the time. That's really the worst part about it. The irritability that never goes away... It's like PMS - 24 - 7....! It's OK when I'm alone & I don't have other human beings getting on my nerves. But, when I have to pick up my daughter from school, I swear my skin crawls with anxiety and irritability everytime I hear the word, "Mommy!" I just have NO patience with my daughter, and that is a big problem for me. I would just prefer to be alone all the time - alone with my obsessive thoughts.... no one around to interupt them. I just want to escape all day in front of the TV or the computer.... That's really what I'm dealing with.

If I could just figure out some way to stop yelling at my daughter all the time..... God, that would be like heaven - for both of us. I am just one irritable bitch!

Is there another way to get rid of this constant irritability? God, maybe I really should up my dose to 5mg & really give this stuff a try. I am just so tired of feeling that icky, skin-crawling irritability! It's that feeling where I lose my patience at the drop of a hat. I just can't stand other people & that - unfortunately - includes my dear husband and daughter. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

as i've written, i've taken lex, and with no side effects. i was taking it at 20mg.

my mom also used to take lex. she never had any side effects and also took 20mg.

so there are at least 2 people in the world who haven't died using lexapro.

you've seen how much publicity a couple of teenage suicides got when they were somehow linked to AD use? now there's a black box warning about ADs for teens on all of them except Prozac.

so, if lex were dangerous and was damaging/killing people, it would at least get a black box warning and probably would be pulled from the market.

i used to take serzone back when it was on the market (crappy stuff), and switched to paxil (godsend), and then they pulled serzone from the market due to it causing liver issues. lex has been on the market long enough to know if there would be any seizures or other immediate risks involved.

stress places a HUGE burden on your body. diagnostic tests show that the body ages rapidly as a response to stress. it deteriorates all of you! what is better, taking a chance with lexapro, which you haven't really even started takiing yet, or letting stress kill you? this is a disease. just like diabetes is a disease. you can do all of teh alternative therapies you want- they're great- but in the end, meds get you up the mountain so you can look at the clouds beneith you and actually see your life as a reality. that's what meds do.

i seriously believe that you need to take it for at least a month, on a real dose (2.5mg is not a theraputic dose) to really see how it will work for you. and if lexapro isn't for you, there is a whole family of SSRI medications that are out there to try.

so keep an open mind about all your alternatives, keep up with any of the stress-relieving alternative treatments you like, such as journaling and meditation, because they even tell you to do those things when you're in the nut bin. but keep an open mind about lex. it is so unlikely to cause any harm. i've had these "brain zaps" from more potent drugs than lexapro and it just feels funny, it isn't painful, if that's what you're concerned about. it is just like a static shock (my experience anyway).

as becca said, we have enough users here that we would have found out about it by now if lex was a problem. the FDA would have found out about it by now, like they pulled serzone.

Hey, SillyMe. I was really worried too about the physical side effects of Lexapro before I started taking it. After it started working for me (once I went up to 5mg) I started to realize that my worries were excessive and blown out of proportion. I think this may be happening with you. I think you should continue taking the 2.5 dose until you feel really comfortable with taking it, then move up to 5 if 2.5 isn't helping. And stop reading scare stories on the internet about Lexapro. The FDA may have problems but they are not so evil that they would allow a virulently dangerous drug to flourish on the market despite numerous reports of severe damage.

What is your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks guys, for all of your support... You guys really are a wonderful bunch!

Well, I decided to stop taking the medicine. I guess I realized that I really don't want to take that avenue.... I really want to find a more holistic approach to my ailments. So, I stopped taking the Lexapro, and last night I had the worst migraine of my life.... I hadn't taken my 2.5mg pill that morning, and I believe my body was already in withdrawal by night! Call me crazy, but I really think that's what was happening because my migraine headaches are NEVER that bad. I was hugging the toilet, vomitting - my body was trembling - sweating, hot flashes.... it was horrible. But, today I feel much better.... Thank God!

Anyway, I have GAD & OCPD.... I wouldn't consider myself debilitated by my anxiety, but it definately interferes with some aspects of my life. I am working on it, though.... Going to therapy every week.... I'm going to start exercising more, maybe try yoga... I'm taking supplements.... Thinking about trying SAMe or 5htp, Valerian... whatever. I will really try anything at this point. But, I don't think I want to go with medication. I just don't feel good about it & I think I've got to exhaust all other possibilities first.

But, I totally understand that some people cannot get by without their meds. Believe me.... I've got a schitzophrenic brother who would probably be stalking someone or trying to kill himself right now if weren't for his meds. And my Dad's panic attacks have landed him in the hospital many times.... His GAD/OCD/agoraphobia make it almost impossible for him to leave the house. So, he can't live without his meds.

But, I really feel like I need to try something else..... At least for a while. I need to feel like I've given every other possibility a shot. So, that's where I'm at right now.

So, I stopped taking the Lexapro, and last night I had the worst migraine of my life.... I hadn't taken my 2.5mg pill that morning, and I believe my body was already in withdrawal by night! Call me crazy, but I really think that's what was happening because my migraine headaches are NEVER that bad. I was hugging the toilet, vomitting - my body was trembling - sweating, hot flashes.... it was horrible. But, today I feel much better.... Thank God!

Glad you're feeling better. I doubt that migraine was due to withdrawal syptoms of the Lexapro, not from such a low dose. More likely it was from all the worry, anxiety and stress you had from deciding whether you wanted to continue with the med or not.

Keep us posted on the progress with alternative treatments won't you?

~ angel ~

Archived