klonopin-what's your highest dose?

I am on one two to milligrams a day the doc is thinking of putting it to four (two in the morning and two at night) how radical a change is this? what is your upper limit for klonopin so I don't mentally freak out and think I'm overdosing. thanks

lilie

i take 3- .5 twice during the day/evening, and 2 when i go to bed.

going from 2 to 4 is a big jump though. try not to just jump there right away. but kloopin isn't really dangerous, so i don't think you're endangering yourself by takign 4mg. i've taken 6mg at once (quelling a major panic attack- and it takes 20 minutes to kick in- thanks)- and i was totally fine.

I'm on .25mg in the a.m. and .25mg in the p.m. That was the compromise when we tried to get me off it completely and I couldn't stop shaking. I've gone as high as doubling that on particularly bad days. I suspect it's not enough...

I'm taking 6mg per day, three times a day. I think the highest safe dose is 20mg per day, so don't worry.

WHAT? And what are you reading? That is a HUGE amount of Klonopin.

First of all, we are all different. So what each of us takes and tolerates will vary from person to person.

What is not different is the fact that this is an addictive medication. Physically addicting. I would find the doctor that put me on 20 mgs of Klonopin a day, very irresponsible.

Be careful what you take. If you doctor wants you to take 4 mgs a day, then do as they ask. If you are taking 2 mgs now and still feel anxious, then that isn't enough.

And Loon: You can take 6 mgs during a panic attack and not feel the effects. Then on a quiet day, taking the same 6 mgs., you'll most likely fall asleep.

This is good to get a sampling. But it's really up to you, your doctor, and your anxiety level.

Breeze

2 mgs a day now, but that varies all the time.

klonopin is also used for epilepsy. the dosage for epilepsy is generally much higher than the dose for anxiety. the maximum recommended dose for epilepsy is 20mg/day, for anxiety it is 4mg/day unless anxiety is not controlled by 4mg/day in which case the dosage may be increased incrementally until anxiety is controlled.

see rx list for more detailed information.

penny

This is the "anxiety board" not the "epilepsy board". And if someone is inquiring about a dose of Klonopin for anxiety , then 20 mgs may be a bit over the top. Wouldn't any reasonable person agree?

Again, sorry to stir things up. However, this is not a med to mess with.

On that I think we can agree.

Breeze

Tom said that 20mg a day is the highest safe dose.

The OP asked about a dosage of 4mg per day, out of a concern about overdose. knowing that 20mg a day is the highest dose alievates fears that taking 4mg a day will cause an OD. it is not the same as saying 20mg is a reasonable dose to take for anxiety. but it does mean that the OP will not be at risk for an OD at 4mg and that she can feel safe following her doctor's orders. (and, just so no one takes this the wrong way, the top dosage of 20mg per day for epilepsy is a dosage that you slowly work your way up to. you don't start that high off the bat. just like you don't start off at at 6 or 4 or even 2mg of klonopin for anxiety.)

just clarifing that no one here said that people should be taking 20mg a day for anxiety, or even that doctors ever prescribe that much for anxiety.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on. 2 mg, and recently with all the crazy changes occuring i'm allowed 4 mg a day. I also have Paxil Cr 37.5 mg on board as well as 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL, plus Lunesta 3 mg. :)

Yes I run the gauntlet in crazy meds.

Dx: ADHD, PDD NOS, MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER, INSOMNIA

Could possibly be Aspie but hasn't been nailed down yet.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting--I am on 2 mg. daily supposedly 1 in AM 1 in PM--but I always take the 2 at night, to de-stress and wind down from work (I work 3-11PM)

HOWEVER, I am having a huge problem with anxiety and stress during the job, so me and the little ole pdoc are gonna discuss upping the Klonopin. I have a huge tolerance for Benzo's, and I think at least 1 mg. before work, and 2 before bed would sure help. One at night just doesn't touch me. But then, maybe I will try the one before work for a while--tho I KNOW/think I'm still gonna need two at night. I have NO ability to handle stress any more, not even the smallest thing. And I have a job that is 8 hours of stress--

Tired of having to go in the bathroom at work and cry when things mess up--

china, glad I dropped by--

• 1 month later...

She was just explaining the dosage difference betweeen anxiety and epilepsy. LISTEN, and you might understand whats being said. No shit this is an "anxiety board", do you feel highly inteligent lietting everyone know that???? Gee, I wish I was as smart as you ;) (sarcasm) Do know what that is?? I know it may be a big word for your vocabulary.

This is the "anxiety board" not the "epilepsy board". And if someone is inquiring about a dose of Klonopin for anxiety , then 20 mgs may be a bit over the top. Wouldn't any reasonable person agree?

Again, sorry to stir things up. However, this is not a med to mess with.

On that I think we can agree.

Breeze

Archived