CrazyBoards.org

One hell of a day

My boyfriend and I thought it would be a good idea to go walking outside for excersize. We went out to this nature park where you can walk on these trails. Well we didn't know which trail to take so we just chose one and then we got kindof lost in the woods. I mean that's all that we could see was the woods so we didn't really know where the car was. If we kept going with the trail it might lead to the other side of the city so we chose to take this other road that led up to the street. In total I think we walked about 4-5 miles. Full sun most of the time, partial shade some of the time. My face is burnt and my eye lids hurt. mine and my boyfriends hands got swollen. We don't know what that could have been from. Does anyone here know?

my face was also very splotchy, it was very red but not solid red. What could that mean?

Thanks,

Erika

other than hurting my knee alittle and getting a burnt face. I'm feeling pretty damn good right now.

yeah some of my meds are on there. I wore pants and a long sleeve shirt to protect me from the sun. I also wore SPF 45 sun screen. I got tan lines through the t-shirt. I live in Austin, Texas. It was 96 degrees and at least 80% humidity.

Erika

That happened to me and my best friend once! We walked in the woods for hours!

I don't know why your hands were swollen. It sounds like time to stay out of the sun for awhile and use some aloe gel on the sunburn. But i"m sure the sunlight made you feel good! The meds probably made you more sensitive though.

Got an aloe plant?  Seems you'll likely need it. 

As for the splotchiness, my skin always seems blotchy after physical exertion in high heat.  If it springs from this cause, the blotches will have disappeared by the time you read this. 

-lp,

who lives with dangerously little regard for the UV index

yeah most of the redness is gone now except for the sunburn. I still feel it on my forehead and my eye lids. I checked into getting some UV protective clothing and it's not cheap. Like 60.00 for a shirt. I thought just regular clothes would block it out but I guess not.

Erika

Aloe is good. Shea butter is also good if you can get a hold of it. As for the swelling hands...it happens if you do not move your arms enough while you walk. I looked it up since it happens to me all the time. Of course, I always forget until my next walk when my hands swell up...LOL

Damn, Erika...that almost sounds like sun poisoning.  I think some of the meds you've mentioned that you're taking are hypersensitivity drugs too.  And thank God you wore sun block!  You don't have water blisters do ya?  The swelling part happens to me all the time when I get too much sun.  It's almost like I'm dehydrated or something along those lines, yet full of fluid.  Strange, huh?  I also get a migraine from too much sun.  It's so wonderful to be a red head AND to take all these hypersensitivity drugs.  I literally burn in less than five minutes.  Even with the highest SPF sunscreen on.  Noxzema does wonders for sunburns.  I know you may feel silly walking around with a film of white stuff on ya, but it feels so wonderful.  *smiles*  Trust me, babe.  This is coming from a red head with porcelain skin.

Elizabeth

p.s.  If you do have noxzema handy...I'd be careful about putting it on your eyelids...you certainly wouldn't want to go blind  ;)

Erika,

I think I saw you mention abilify in one of your other posts.  I've been on it for about a month or so now and that and the pill will make you VERY sun-sensitive.  I haven't burned yet, but I don't spend that much time in the sun and when I do go out I wear spf-30 and a hat or exercise in the mornings or evenings.  I was at the beach last week with my parents and just being outside in the heat for 4-5 hours completely wore me out.  Most of this time I spent in little cafe's, ducking in and out of shops, so it wasn't like I was exactly soaking up the rays.  Note - abilify (and topomax I think) also affects your body's ability to sweat and otherwise regulate temperature so heatstroke, or heat sickness, even without a sun burn is far more likely.

Be careful!  And wear sunglasses. B)

Alice 

Oh, that's right, Alice...I totally forgot about the whole sweating thing.  Duh!  Well, Erika can't be on Topamax, but I'm on it...and I drink LOTS of water, so I'm good to go.  And I do wear sunglasses now...thank you contacts!  woo hoo! 

Yes, the oatmeal is great too!  Lord knows the itchiness of sunburns can drive you wild!  And oatmeal has done wonders for me.

Sounds like you're all set to go.  Now don't go and get lost in the woods again.  *laughs*

Elizabeth

Even with my meds I get pretty tan. Last year at the beach, I got sun poisoning on my legs. All these little red spots. And oh my God did they itch! I went to the pharmacy and he said to use Cortisone cream. It did help but you have to use sparingly. For sunburn, I use the Aloe gel that I leave in the fridge. Hope you feel better!

thanks, I'll try that next time I go. I also think I'm going to pack a backpack with some frozen towels so I can cool myself off from time to time. Since I'm on topamax now I want to be really careful. I've only been on it two days and I'm still sweating when I work out but you never know. I'm also checking into getting some UV clothing.

Thanks for the advice.

Erika

Ericka, since you're in Austin, you can go to one of the Whole Foods, and get a bottle of natural aloe vera gel. It's the real stuff, all natural.  It comes in a brown glass bottle. 

It works great, and you can keep it in the refrigerator.  I think it's much better for sunburn than all the drug store items.  This is the gel that comes out of the plant.

oh thanks I'll go get some of that. I do have to say that my face cleared up the next day and I didn't break out in a rash as I expected to. I did call academy sports and they said that they have a long sleeved UV shirt for 39.99 I'm going to go get that one. The guy says it has ventilation and stuff in it. I'm also going to wear a visor cap next time to protect my face and I found an SPF 70 and 75.

I think I'm pretty much set except for the aloe. I'll go get it next time I'm at whole foods. Thanks again.

Erika

Archived