no follow ups allowed?

abifae

my roommate managed to get me a pass to see the cheapo clinic in town cuz i had some deep lung infection. it ended up being pneumonia and i got meds and was told i needed a two week follow up by the doctor.

but apparently i'm not actually allowed one. that was a "one time" pass, they said, not two time. i'm on the waiting list to actually JOIN the clinic, but that will be in four to six MONTHS. i said, well what about the follow up? and they said, you just aren't allowed one. you can call in a month and see where you are on the waiting list...

so... um... basically, i have to hope this is entirely cleared up, if not, just let it get as worse as possible, and then try ER or hope it took six months to get bad enough for a doctor. gotcha. i mean, pneumonia's not that big a deal... so now i'm just hoping the meds work really really well!!

i hate american health care. all of you in any other country, do you have to put up with this shit, too??

abifae

Essentially yes, although I gather the usa is worse than here in Australia.

We get a partial rebate on docs we have to pay for even if we don't have insurance. Gov funded pdocs are hard to get appts with, I have to wait until Feb... but thats off topic.

pneumonia can be very serious, so, please take care of yourself.

and,yes, American "healthcare" sucks.

i'm trying. but, taking today for example, i had to work twelve hours. and oops, since i was running late, no breakies for you!, and it's in and out of coolers. and i feel like shit, and i only have ten hours before i have to be up again and i'm in need of a good fourteen.

i hate my job.

but i'm trying to take care of myself.

how easily does it recur, anyhow? i'm thirty and fairly healthy (pre diabetic and bugnuts), smoked about a cig a day (ooohhhhhh! big smoker lol) but quit a couple weeks ago when it was apparent i had a lung infection, and am fairly active in general.

abifae

Well, I ended up in ICU and nearly died from pneumonia. Spent 10 days total in hospital. And the thing is that it got bad fast. It started in one lobe and by hte following day was in all lobes. I was in ICU by then. I had had some respiratory infection for a couple of weeks before it suddenly went to pneumonia.

but you're a lot younger than I am, so it might not be a big deal for you. I also have asthma that complicated matters. I hope you're taking mega vitamins. That might help your immune system.

How high is the sky?

It isn't a matter of recurring, but rather not getting fully cleared.

Take care of yourself. Don't smoke, take all your antibiotics, get plenty of sleep, eat regular nutritious meals, take your multivitamin, DRINK PLENTY of water.

Thats the most you can do.

Strictly speaking, a follow up is not absolutely necessary, IF you are cured. Signs of infection include fever, and the color of your phlegm. Greenish or yellowish color indicates infection. As you get well, it should gradually clear.

Anyhoo, don't skimp on a doc visit with pneumonia. You might check to see if you county health department has a free or low cost health clinic.

Hope you feel better. a.m.

How high is the sky?

It isn't a matter of recurring, but rather not getting fully cleared.

Take care of yourself. Don't smoke, take all your antibiotics, get plenty of sleep, eat regular nutritious meals, take your multivitamin, DRINK PLENTY of water.

Thats the most you can do.

Strictly speaking, a follow up is not absolutely necessary, IF you are cured. Signs of infection include fever, and the color of your phlegm. Greenish or yellowish color indicates infection. As you get well, it should gradually clear.

Anyhoo, don't skimp on a doc visit with pneumonia. You might check to see if you county health department has a free or low cost health clinic.

Hope you feel better. a.m.

okay, here is what i was thinking... at the two weeks mark, i should see if ER can double check that i'm all cleared up. i can't return to the county health since that's who gave me the ONE visit with no follow ups allowed :/ but that is a HUGE expense.... although i should be able to count as indigent if i'm very very prompt and ignore my panic attacks about paperwork ;)

i don't mind calling ER and explaining the situation and asking them to give me the all clear on it. they might do it. and if not, i'll change my name and go in anyway lol.

also, i'm doing everything on your take care list :) although work is messing up the sleep but i only work tomorrow and i have my two day weekend. after that i have an easier schedule til next weekend. and i'm drinking about 40-48 ounces of fluids a day right now. water and fruit juice, but mostly water (a 37 ounce cup, plus two or three glasses of juice).

this is clearing up nicely. i walked home from work today i was so pissed off and i actually did pretty well. it was obvious i was sick, but i didn't get all that short of breath (i was careful! it was fifty out and i had on a wool hat and my heavy coat and a scarf wrapped over my mouth to keep the air i was breathing warm.) so i know for sure i'm getting better.... it's being ALL better i want to be sure of.

i love running around barefoot in the snow and playing outside all winter lol. i don't want to be worrying about this coming back!!!

libby, what kind of multivites? i have zinc, and i have tons of herbs, but no vitamins. any recommendations?

abi

I just take a cheap multivitamin and multimineral from Walgreen's. If you can afford it, there one I can't remember the name of.. it has Source in the name.. you get it at a health food store.. and its vitamins are all food based instead of chemical. Sorry so vague.. can't remember. It's really expensive though.. like $50 a bottle.

If I remember correctly, Vitamin C is big.. take extra of that.

Some forms of pneumonia ARE communicable, so be careful with the sandwiches. eek.

I just take a cheap multivitamin and multimineral from Walgreen's. If you can afford it, there one I can't remember the name of.. it has Source in the name.. you get it at a health food store.. and its vitamins are all food based instead of chemical. Sorry so vague.. can't remember. It's really expensive though.. like $50 a bottle.

If I remember correctly, Vitamin C is big.. take extra of that.

Some forms of pneumonia ARE communicable, so be careful with the sandwiches. eek.

*grin* my working at a restaurant is why the doctor gave me three days off of work. i had a week off total. it was wonderful. i'm not sure if he thought i was that contagious, if he realized i needed that much rest, or both.

i'm taking lots of c (drinking orange juice mmmm!) and trying to eat healthy (work makes me entirely lose my appetite. that place pisses me off so much. grr!). i probably should find a decent vitamin soon! i know my magnesium and potassium are often low due to diabetes. (the crashing sugar effects potassium which effects magnesium, and combined effect sodium - which is why i'm on a low sodium diet ;) )

abifae

Ok, I'm sorry if I sound like an alarmist, but this is not ok. In and out of a cooler? Um, no. I, too, have almost died from pneumonia. More than once. If it's not properly treated it can and will scar your lungs. It sounds like you're doing all the right things - lots of rest, lots of water, etc - but the cooler part can't be good. I'm glad you have a few days off this weekend. I can't believe the clinic won't give you a follow-up. Argh. Is the ER free? Maybe when you finish the antibiotics you can take yourself to the Er with shortness of breath (real or imagined) and tell them you're just recovering from pneumonia and you're finding it hard to breathe. That way they'll check and, hopefully, tell you you're imagining it.

Rest.

millieO

Ok, I'm sorry if I sound like an alarmist, but this is not ok. In and out of a cooler? Um, no. I, too, have almost died from pneumonia. More than once. If it's not properly treated it can and will scar your lungs. It sounds like you're doing all the right things - lots of rest, lots of water, etc - but the cooler part can't be good. I'm glad you have a few days off this weekend. I can't believe the clinic won't give you a follow-up. Argh. Is the ER free? Maybe when you finish the antibiotics you can take yourself to the Er with shortness of breath (real or imagined) and tell them you're just recovering from pneumonia and you're finding it hard to breathe. That way they'll check and, hopefully, tell you you're imagining it.

Rest.

millieO

yep. all fuckign weekend. against my protests. i told my manager i was ready to walk and to take me the hell off of morning prep.

you don't sound like an alarmist. i was thinking i was sounding like one until i spent all of yesterday sick as hell and barely breathing and had to have my roommate carry the laundry baskets. um, hello, pneumonia is a wee bit serious????

i'm resting again, but i work all week after this and stocking my section at the end of my shift means going into the damned cooler to get milks and creams and cream cheeses.

i'm not really sure what to do about it. i'm looking for another job. but if i'm well enough to show up to work at all, i "MUST" be well enough to do my own stocking, right?

i'm strongly considering doing just that with ER. it isn't free, but if i fill out the paperwork the day i go, i should be able to get it pretty cheaply.

sighs.

any suggestions on avoiding the cooler?? when it's part of my job description?? at least i won't be in it as MUCH as doing morning prep, but i'm prep this coming weekend too. if i work with the right people on my shift, i can get others to help me with the stocking (i'll stock your area if you stock mine so i don't have to freeze - the other area is stocked from dry goods). but if i'm alone up front, i'm screwed.

isn't it nice to know how much one is cared about at work? my health and well being are certainly top of everyone's list. ;)

abi who is NOT getting over pneumonia as quickly as she should because her job is bullshit. and they wonder why i've gotten a rather sour attitude at work.

p.s. did i mention i also don't get breaks if i run late? prep is supposed to take six hours, which i one ten minute break. just because none of us finish it in fewer than eight hours does not entitle us to a second break, nor to lunch. and i am so slow due to illness or stress that it takes twelve hours, that ten minute break is certainly all i will get because another break will make me that much later.

that is what i was told.

abi ;)

p.s. did i mention i also don't get breaks if i run late? prep is supposed to take six hours, which i one ten minute break. just because none of us finish it in fewer than eight hours does not entitle us to a second break, nor to lunch. and i am so slow due to illness or stress that it takes twelve hours, that ten minute break is certainly all i will get because another break will make me that much later.

that is what i was told.

abi ;)

i'm 99.9% sure this is illegal. there are laws about lunch breaks and 15 minute breaks every few hours (i forgot how many).

... i spent all of yesterday sick as hell and barely breathing and had to have my roommate carry the laundry baskets. um, hello, pneumonia is a wee bit serious????

... if i'm well enough to show up to work at all, i "MUST" be well enough to do my own stocking, right?

Um, yeah. It doesn't sound to me like you ARE well enough to show up to work at all. And the no-break thing is totally illegal.

Millie

- You can't make a blanket statement about about breaks. Labor laws vary wildly by state. There is no federal laws about breaks and lunches.

Maryland and Virginia have no laws regarding breaks or meals, and there is no requirement to be paid while taking them if they are granted. You can be required to come in and work for 8 continuous hours or however long the work day is.

You will have to look up the laws for your state.

a.m.

Archived