Asking your shrink for different medication ?

bluebeard

How helpful and approachable is your doctor ?

I want to take an active role in getting as well as I can and for me thats going to involve asking her for some different medication.

I am happy to take the low dose of lithium I am on but I want to increase my anto psychotic to see if a higher dose will help with my obsessions.

I currently take fluanxol which is a traditional AP but rather than jack it in I would like to try a higher dose ?

Do you feel psychiatrists are open to such approaches? Its my intention, should she agree, to give it a good go and then if no improvement to try seroquel ?

I think they really vary. My ex pdoc was brilliant with med knowledge which in itself is a good thing, however he was not open to any suggestions I may have had and tended to dismiss side effects. I felt obligated to endure a couple of meds that did not agree with my body, because I felt intimidated and wanted to be compliant. To me, that's not a great relationship.

I am currently looking for a new pdoc. Med knowledge is important, but so is bedside manner. Like you, I want to make decisions TOGETHER with my pdoc.

I have a new pdoc, better than old one, who thought all side effects were all in my head... um, yeah, right. He seems extremely knowledgable, and seems open, but I have a hard time speaking up. Guess that's not much help, but good luck initiating the conversation with yours, I hope it works out for you.

I'm now trying to work up the nerve to tell my GP that I feel much better on a lower dose of Seroquel. I've been splitting my pills in half for awhile. I am supposed to take 300 mg. I want 100 mg pills. At that level I have no side effects. Even at 150, I'm not happy with the side effects (cardiovascular and sinus related).

Why is it so hard? I guess we want to be good patients, not the stereotype of non-compliant mental cases.

Describe the symptoms that still exist, explaining that they really bother you. Ask if it would help to increase the current AP or perhaps try seroquel.

And just hope that they're not one of those, "When I want your advice, I'll give it to you" type of people.

• 4 months later...

I think my doctor and both of the psychiatrists I've had would rather me just nod my head, do what they say and not ask for things. Then again when I said "acne" he wrote a script for some evoclin and when i said antidepressant he wrote one for lexapro. The problem was I first went to him wanting Valium for my anxiety and he wrote a script for Zyprexa and it made me fat and it doesn't work well.

I believe that a good pdoc should work with you and advise when they know better but be prepared to listen to your experiences and ideas. No matter how skilled and knowledgable (that is not spelled right I know) they are, it is you that has to take meds and live with your symptoms, so you really ought to have a say in what you take and how your life goes.

My pdoc is very open to my input, in turn I trust his decisions when he claims to know better. I know he sees me for a person who deserves quality of life and he reassures me that he will help me to have that.

I'm telling my doc that I am ready to come off Abilify. I'm going to see what he says. I'll let you guys know what happens.

It's totally within your right to mention you think a current dose isn't working. I know what my body is going through and I'm not going to sit back while some bald guy tells me what I need in my life. I need to NOT BE FAT. How 'bout them apples, huh?

I agree that it totally depends on the specific doctor. I still haven't been to a pdoc (1 week! whohoo) but the two GP and one NP that I've seen have had different levels of how much my input counted. I hope to find a doctor that I can stick with that would be like the NP that I saw in that he/she will take my ideas and questions seriously and let me have a say in what happens with my medication, but also be very knowledgable and come up with different methods of attack based on his/her experience and expertise.

One of the doctors that I went to pretty much had ME tell him what to prescribe and I had to *work* to get any opinions out of him at all. The other doctor didn't listen to me at all and took me off the one medication that had ever helped me because of what "normally" works with her patients. AARGH. lol. I've been all over the spectrum of doctors and just want to make sure that you remember that THEY WORK FOR YOU. It's easy to sit back and hand your life and decisions over to this 'all powerful/knowing pdoc' and be passive about it, but it seems like the best treatments come from when you find the right doctor who will work with you and listen to your suggestions.

((gets off soapbox)) ;)

anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you should give it a shot with your pdoc, if she's completely closed off to your input then I'd ask her why that is and if she doesn't have a good answer or want to fix that problem, then I'd start shopping for a new doctor. it seems like you really want to be a part of your getting well, and finding a doctor who encourages that will probably be a great help to you.

luck, meg

my pdocs, and i've had several, have always been open to my ideas. i say "i feel X way and i was wondering if we could do Y". they'll either say 'good loon, we'll do that', or 'i have a different idea'.

i think that docs have to respect us as equals and as adults, capable of deciding what we do and do not put into our bodies. i refuse to take certain meds, and my pdoc wouldn't think of trying to make me go there ;)

How are you doing, Bluebeard? had success with your pdoc/s and meds yet?

I agree that mutual respect is very important and I for one want my pdoc to WANT to know how I'm doing and what I think I need...lol... I've been writing notes this week for my thurs. session so that I'm not all duhhh when I see him and can talk intelligently. He listens well.

My moods change very quickly and how I feel right now is day to the night I felt this morn. If I didn't write it down I'd get confused and miss the important things I need to tell him.

Usually I don't write notes and regret it.

so I really hope you've found a "match" with your doc.

Archived