Just Diagnosed and confused as hell

New to the boards and new to the diagnosis. I hope I'm not rehashing something that's already been hashed to death.

I have just recieved a diagnosis of bipolar I. I can't go into all the emotions that I have felt at hearing that diagnosis so I won't even try. In doing some research to determine whether or not the diagnosis is correct I am now more confused than ever.

Is it cyclothymia, BPII, BPI, or some other sort of weird mixture. Is anyone else out there confused?

Hi, welcome to the club!

Coming to grips with Bipolar disorder is tough for almost everyone.

I strongly recommend that you buy a copy of The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, by Miklowitz. You can pick it up a at a local bookstore or buy from Amazon by following our link below. This is a truly outstanding book.

Pinned up above is an extensive list of online resources for Bipolar.

Feel free to post. PM any of the mods if you need help.

Best, a.m.

Hi bloodandbreath,

welcome to the boards! I think everyone goes through a fairly extreme variety of emotions when they're first diagnosed - I know I did. Initially, relief at finally having an explanation, then a cycle of anger, grief and denial. Now, nearly two years on, I think I'm eventually beginning to come to terms with what it means. However, it's great that you've found crazyboards so quickly - I've found this place an invaluable source of support and information, and recommend it to people *all* the time ;)

Feel free to post any questions you have - no-one's going to think anything is silly, and if it's already been extensively covered, people tend to provide links to the previous discussion.

xx

Welcome! It is very confusing because the symptoms for the various "sub-diagnosis" related to BP could also be found in other disorders. I don't think it's unusual to question or at least ponder the diagnosis made. Focus on the treatments and educating yourself the best you can about the different types of drugs in each catagory (i.e. mood stabalizers) so you can be proactive in your treatment. There's been many times I've posed a medication to my dd's doctor who seemed to respond with a look that said, "yeah, why not give it a try".

DMF

even before i read what other posters had to say, my mind instantly went to the Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide. it is a good introduction and walks with you through your feelings about your diagnosis, what it means for you, and how to manage it.

you probably know that bipolar disorder is characterized by desperate lows and wild highs, and mixed states where you could have dark thoughts but be energetic, and other symptoms as well.

i'm happy for you that you have a place where you can start your search for answers. again, that book is an excellent resource.

Some internet links that may be helpful:

http://www.psycheducation.org/index.html (mostly about BPII, but has some good stuff for everyone)

http://bipolar.about.com/od/support/

http://www.bipolarworld.net/

http://www.teachhealth.com/chemmess.html (actually an introduction to neurotransmitters made for kids, but if you are clueless now in the beginning, it's actually pretty good)

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm (the official DSM criteria for bipolar, so you can determine if you think the diagnosis fits you)

Those are just some of the ones I could find in my favourites right now, I can dig up more if you want to.

Also, talking to a therapist to sort out your feeling about the diagnosis may be a good idea.

Is it cyclothymia, BPII, BPI, or some other sort of weird mixture. Is anyone else out there confused?

Well, your guess is probably as good as your psychiatrist's, to be honest. Some of the cynics round here maintain that the DSM-IV definitions are only used to allow insurance companies to work out what they're not going to pay out on. Most people now think that Bipolar is a spectrum disorder, and you can pick and mix to get your particular flavor. I'm officially BPII because I rapid cycle, but I have also had psychotic spells, which ought to make me BPI. My GP had me as cyclothymic, but due to medical insurance, I got an upgrade.

Welcome to the nuthouse, by the way.

Welcome to the club make sure to hang around to learn the secret handshake AM will teach ya that ;) ... other then that comin to terms with bipolar can be hard cause ya body and mind when you are bipolar arent always on the same page .. so just be mindful of your moods and watch your highs and lows and never be afraid to ask for help when ya see your self shoot into the wild manic stages

Archived