Labile affect

Angeljasmine

Is this associated with any MI, when someone cannot help it but sometimes laughs or smiles at things that are NOT funny, things that you would normally NOT laugh or smile at eg. bad events, misfortune, etc. (aka "labile affect").

Who else out there has this condition? What is it normally associated with, which MI(s)?

It's rather embarrassing. The other day at work someone burnt their hand with boiling water, I tried to make a concerned comment but for some unknown reason had to try hard to suppress a smile. It wasn't like I thought it was funny, not at all funny whatsoever. I've had things like this before when someone tells me about something sad / misfortune and I have to try my hardest to suppress a "smile". People must think I'm really weird / f*ckd.

I've also had it in regards to my own misfortune(s), like when I imagined myself telling the pdoc of my latest BIG misfortune in life (which again led to a deep depression), every time I imagined telling her the story, I would smile while I told it, whereas in reality it was an extremely horrible event.

Really wonder if it's associated with something, eg social phobia, PTSD, or something else....?

Nervous laughter (and I suppose a smile associated with it) are a common response to a stressful situation. I've never heard of inappropriate laughter or smiling being a problem though.

Emotional Lability (not just smiling and a laugh) are associated with MS, multiple sclerosis, and as Noemie mentioned with pseudobulbar somthing or other (thats a technical term). With MS, its intuitive that with progressive nerve damage the ability to control emotions could be affected. For example, saying goodbye to a visiting friend resulting into uncontrollable sobbing, or becoming over excited upon greeting the friend.

The pseudobulbar affect (cause) is primarily related to an organic brain damage that has very poor survival. I think there is one other cause under this umbrella, but it is not common. The emotional lability would be the same as mentioned for MS.

So, I would say that your sign is probably NOT emotional lability since you aren't experiencing the emotion of being happy, joyous, etc. and since you have not mentioned any instance of being sad or crying in response to some appropriate trigger.

a.m.

I've always laughed and smiled at the worst times. I would be getting the third degree over something that was legitimately my fault and have to bite my tongue (sometimes until it bled) to avoid laughing hysterically. Caused lots of problems with parents, significant others, etc.

Hmmm. It can be learned if that is how your parents responded to things. Anxiety for sure can cause it if you are unsure how else to respond to someone in distress. It can be a way, still unintentional, to express painful emotions when being unable to cry. Could be the combination of above. Or just being hysterical from being totally stressed out and in crisis. Happens common enough in pschizophrenia. Can be, for some, really funny because some people like cruelty.

Archived