Sleep and BP

I feel a lot better than I did a couple months ago, but I still find myself sleeping whenever I get a chance. While awake, I feel somewhat energized and clear headed (again, much moreso than a while back). The thing is, I often find myself sleeping too much. I slept from about 12 AM this morning until about 7 PM tonight. That's about 19 hours, on and off. I was awake here and there (to eat and urinate), but was pretty much in zzzz land the whole day. I did lay awake in bed for a few hours today, so I didn't actually sleep the entire 19 hours.

The thing I can't figure out is if I do this outta boredom or if it is part of my disorder. I have absolutely no reason to be awake on a Sunday, so I just go to sleep. Again, I feel fine while I am awake. Can a "normal" person sleep an entire day out of boredom or is this abnormal? I ask this because I wonder if I should tell my pdoc.

Yes, tell your pdoc. 19-hour sleeps are not normal except for when recovering from major exhaustion.

It's possible it might be related to the Seroquel. That can make people very sleepy, especially at low doses (like yours).

Thanks noemie.

I have always loved to sleep a lot. It is nothing for me to rip off a 15-18 hour sleep, even when I am stable on my meds. I have done it since I was a teen. I suppose it is just the way I am.

Later

Hi A.S.

I know it may be blamed on your meds, but my dad is like this, too, and he has been on every med combo under the sun! And it's always ZZZ land for him, always seems like it's been like that to some degree. Moreso when he's depressed and he also blames it on boredom or just feeling down and then the sleep creeps up past 10 hours...up and up...daytime sleep is the worst...

My dad is BP 1, by the way, with more depression, refractory depression lately, though he, too, will often have daytime energized feelings...

I have to wonder if this isn't just "how it is" for some depressive BPs...

Hmm...

~Cat

Psssst. Can I borrow some of that extra sleep?

;)

Strictly speaking, excess sleep is NOT one of the hallmarks of Bipolar Disorder. What is typical is lack of sleep due to poor body clock regulation, or what has been called a "free running clock". Instead of maintaining a steady body rythm, the person's body clock keeps advancing, making it difficult to go to bed at the required time, and being short on sleep get up at the appointed hour.

I have found that lack of sleep is one of my biggest triggers, and with sleep apnea the quality of my sleep is often poor anyhow. Fortunately, Lith, and Lamictal have helped smooth things out and made it easier to get some sleep.

a.m.

yeah, like helena said, maybe it has to do with the sun and time change? here it is dark at about 4:30pm or so. not quite as bad a sweden, but still not so great.

maybe that, along with those other factors, just makes you tired.

i don't blame you. i feel like a nap already...

loon

I tended to binge on sleep like that, nineteen hours was common for me. I mentioned it to my pdoc, and once we got the right mood stabiliser dose my depression lifted and the sleep has reduced down to eleven hours a night, or less.

Sleeping like that was only due to three things for me.

1: Zyprexa, back when I was on it, and

2: Depression

3: Fatigue the week before and up to two weeks after a psiMS attack.

But Seroquel you say is not your problem, so just watch out for your mood going south.

Hope things get better.

--fous

i have to agree with the takin of zyprexa made me sleep and sleeep tons ... i am so glad i made the switch to seroquel ! ..

I'm a little surprised Zyprexa made you sleepy and Seroquel didnt.

Perhaps Seroquel's sleep effect was stronger but shorter-lasting?

I find that people tend to complain more about Seroquel's zombification than that of Zyprexa's, but your mileage varies, obviously.

I'm glad Zyprexa has been mentioned. I've been wanting to ask about it.

I'm only on 2.5mg a day but I've noticed that it makes me sleep far to much. I was late for an appointment today because I just couldn't damn well get up. Frequently I will set my alarm, hear it go off and immediately fall asleep again. I also went back to bed not long after I got back from my appointment. I slept from 11am to 3pm.

Is this down to the Zyprexa, despite the tiny dose? Or is it my Lithium (in the form of 400mg Priadel)? Or something else?

Archived