mixed states anyone?

so...I find myself in mixed states more than I do in hypomania or mania....is this something that anyone else deals with? I am going through major insomnia right now....workin on 3 days....kolonopin is not the answer to this one either...guess i'm gonna be e.r. bound

geez...i'm losing focus...back to my question...are mixed states "normal" (wtf is normal anyway?)

~Brena

First off, from someone else's sig file, "Normal is a setting on a washing machine." Anyway, you're not alone: I get (got) depressions and mixed states. Actually, I would get hypo/manias that would flick into ugly mixed states within hours, or a day at most.

Mild mixed states (dysthymia + hypomania) have been the rule for most of my life, to the extent that when I read a cyclothymic's description of mixed states I was shocked because I had thought that was just my personality.

For a long time I also alternated depressions and mixed states (hypomania + full depression) every few years until I got it treated. Eventually the medication would fail and I'd go back to my "normal" self.

But yeah, mixed states are pretty common. They don't get as much press as euphoric hypo/mania, I think because they're not as intriguing ("omg a mental illness that makes you extra-happy! I wish I could be extra-happy too!") and they're just not part of the public definition.

okay....well it makes more sense to me now. as much reading as I have done on bipolar I, they only put the emphasis on hypo/mania/depression. I thought I would never "fit into" a category. Guess i'm reading the wrong books. Thanks for your input!

i think we all have mixed states at some point, and for all of us they're different, or sometimes even different from one episode to the next for the same person. and yeah, it isn't like the wonderful mixed state gets media hype like depression and mania do. mixed states are, well, mixed, and aren't the stuff of suspense novels, despite (and i may be wrong, so don't quote me), but i think i read that more people commit suicide in mixed states than in depression or mania, and most of us agree that mixed states suck the most.

for me, it is having the dark thoughts and the energy to put those ideas into action. i guess tha's why i go to the hospital when the going gets bad. i don't want to be with my dad quite yet. ;)

I was wondering why my 'mania' was sometimes one that would induce 'positive' ;) activity like getting work done, cleaning the house for four hours; and why it would sometimes induce 'negative' activity--self-destructive, mean, totally irrational and far-out activity to hurt people, create dramatic situations, throw-everything-off-the-counter and-lie-on-the-bathroom-floor-type-activity. Suicide even crossed my mind once.

It may not be a mixed state, but I have such different thoughts--and, yes, the energy to act upon them until I cry myself to sleep.

Any good reads on mixed-states?

• 2 months later...

so i'm at it again....they did add seroquel to my cocktail to help all this bullshit..but anyways back to the point...I now finally understand what a mixed state is thanks to my CPN but how in the hell do I make it go away? and is it "okay" for me to still have them like once a month? or should I bring it up to the PDoc again? advice please? my boyfriend is sitting here helping me through this thank god because i'm sitting here saying " I can't put my straight eyes on" when really I think i'm trying to say I can concentrate. Or something. Damn I don't know. Any advice? I have a library of bipolar books that I can't read right now, because "I don't have my straight eyes on" this makes no sense.

~Brena

I have been in one of those lovely "mixed states" for the last couple of days--very hyper at work, can't settle down when I get home, losing things, thinking I am too stupid to live, then breezing thru my job sure that everyone loves me and I am the greatest. Lots of energy being spent, but nothing really done--like someone set my nerves on fire under my skin. People at work even are commenting on how fast I run around getting things done--I just said that I always walk fast--

So much on the "to do " list, nothing done, terrified that I won't be able to sleep, so I lay there with the TV on till 2 or 3 in the AM. Of course, once I turn it off, and actually work on relaxing, I do go to sleep (Thanks, Ambien CR) Can't read right now--or concentrate without a whole lot of work and energy.

I have no idea why this is happening--its not really like my usual really rapid cycling, which I recognize and can kinda cope with. This just sort of came out of nowhere. And it sux.

WHY?? This is really kinda new to me--I would almost rather cycle like I used to--

HELP!!

china, feeling like Alice's rabbit--"Hello, I have to go now"

I have been in one of those lovely "mixed states" for the last couple of days--very hyper at work, can't settle down when I get home, losing things, thinking I am too stupid to live, then breezing thru my job sure that everyone loves me and I am the greatest. Lots of energy being spent, but nothing really done--like someone set my nerves on fire under my skin. People at work even are commenting on how fast I run around getting things done--I just said that I always walk fast--

So much on the "to do " list, nothing done, terrified that I won't be able to sleep, so I lay there with the TV on till 2 or 3 in the AM. Of course, once I turn it off, and actually work on relaxing, I do go to sleep (Thanks, Ambien CR) Can't read right now--or concentrate without a whole lot of work and energy.

I have no idea why this is happening--its not really like my usual really rapid cycling, which I recognize and can kinda cope with. This just sort of came out of nowhere. And it sux.

WHY?? This is really kinda new to me--I would almost rather cycle like I used to--

HELP!!

china, feeling like Alice's rabbit--"Hello, I have to go now"

Yeah I know exactly how you feel~that's what i'm going through. I took my seroquel sometime this morning and slept for a few hours~but then my 4 year old woke me up early as hell, so it's back to living in a fairy tale again~

Archived