CrazyBoards.org

Question from a fellow anxiety sufferer.

I suffer from MDD, OCD, tourettes and anxiety.

I have tried the big three SSRIs and Paxil was the best for my anxiety, though it would not stop panic attacks.

I am now on Effexor and find that it does not help my anxiety in the slightest.

I need a medicine that can help me in the midst of a panic attack.  I am in the UK, and Doctors don't exactly hand out Xanax like sweeties over here.  I have taken temazepam and diazepam but need very high doses of each to keep calm.

My doctor who I have a great undertanding with will precribe my 60 diazapams and I have to make it last for months and I just can't do it.  I go long periods of time with no meds of this nature available for me, and it is starting to piss me off!

Are there any other non benzo options for me out there (apart from the SSRIS).  I want something that I can have on a regular basis, and not have to justify my self everytime I need a new prescription.  This has gone on long enough.

Have you tried Klonopin?  I find it helps with anxiety and panic attacks.  Don't know how your doctor would feel about putting you on that med.  I'm suppose to take it daily three times a day or as needed.  Which in my case, I usually just take it when an attack hits me.

Elizabeth

edited for spelling mistake...oops, sorry about that

Klonopin's a benzo, so you might have trouble getting that one, too.

Have you considered/tried any of the anticonvulsants or antipsychotics (particularly the atypical ones). Don't let the names scare you. Both types of meds are used off-label to treat all kinds of things - including depression and anxiety. I'm not sure how useful they are during a full-blown panic attack, but someone with more experience is sure to pass by.

~Sunshine

My understanding is that the other major non-benzo option are beta-blockers. Inderal is the most popular, at least here in the states for use with anxiety attacks or right before anxiety provoking situations (right before a meeting at work for example).

My understanding is that the other major non-benzo option are beta-blockers. Inderal is the most popular, at least here in the states for use with anxiety attacks or right before anxiety provoking situations (right before a meeting at work for example).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I have heard about these.  This may be an option.

I have BP1 and GAD/PTSD and was prescribed Gabatril today. I don't know how it works yet. Perhaps you should ask your pdoc about this option. My pdoc won't prescribe benzos either, though I need them.

GGGRRR!

Archived