LACK of Sleep in BP

hiya-

back during the summer i had an incident where i didn't get more than 1, maybe 2 hours of sleep during a day or night, and this went on for 10 nights. i asked my pdoc for help and he just gave me seroquel (which i can't take, duh, i go to a great clinic, huh), and told me to take 50mg and it would knock me out.

well, i did take the seroquel and it did not knock me out.

during this time, i was a crazy nutcase loon, running around with huge amounts of energy (despite not sleeping) and not eating, and just being a bitch as well.

sound like a manic episode? i've been wondering what went on exactly.

when my pnurse (the person i actually see every month) came back from vacation and i saw him, he increased my risperdal and on about the 3rd day of that i slept. it seemed to calm me down to baseline.

sometimes for me, i don't know where the line between hypo and full-blown mania is. this full episode lasted about 2 weeks, with the not sleeping part being the worst of it.

what do you think?

hiya-

back during the summer i had an incident where i didn't get more than 1, maybe 2 hours of sleep during a day or night, and this went on for 10 nights. i asked my pdoc for help and he just gave me seroquel (which i can't take, duh, i go to a great clinic, huh), and told me to take 50mg and it would knock me out.

well, i did take the seroquel and it did not knock me out.

during this time, i was a crazy nutcase loon, running around with huge amounts of energy (despite not sleeping) and not eating, and just being a bitch as well.

sound like a manic episode? i've been wondering what went on exactly.

when my pnurse (the person i actually see every month) came back from vacation and i saw him, he increased my risperdal and on about the 3rd day of that i slept. it seemed to calm me down to baseline.

sometimes for me, i don't know where the line between hypo and full-blown mania is. this full episode lasted about 2 weeks, with the not sleeping part being the worst of it.

what do you think?

Sounds like at least a hypomanic episode to me. Were you more or less happy during this time or did you feel like shit? If so, it could have been a mixed episode.

I have had one major episode like this in my life, and in fact, this is why I am dxed BP1 instead of just MDD. I was MDD until I had this episode at age 21.

I was awake for about 6 days (and I mean not a single minute of sleep the whole time). My pdoc gave me ambien and it didn't do shit, I still laid awake the next night. Then he broke out the big Zyprexa (I love this stuff) and it knocked me out within 15 minutes of my first dose. This was when they changed my DX to BP1.

I have often questioned my DX because I have much more depression than mania (I have only had one true manic episode), but the docs still adhere to BP because they claim it only takes one manic episode in a lifetime, according to the DSM, to qualify one for BP. I still question whether that episode was a result of mania or just an agitated depression. Depression can also cause sleep deprevation. It is all guesswork on the part of the docs if you ask me.

Later.

well i know what ya mean when the lines are very blurry and ya cant tell the difference between hypo and mania.. helll i think we all have had moments like that .. heck ya know i have i got nuts alot !! ... and there is times i couldnt sleep if i bonked my self on the head with a jackhammer..

---

---but know i can think back of all the times when i didnt get any sleep or very little sleep was always in the times that i was very high up mania style ... so i think everythin relates just a little

Yup - sounds familiar to me, Loon. I felt like that last month. I was getting more and more tired but litereally couldn't relax. As a result, when I came down off the high I had two weeks of aching joints.

I'm not sure about the line between hypo and full blown mania either, though I assume it must have been full blown last time for me as that was when I got officially diagnosed as BP 1.

I don't know about you, but I often feel less aware when I'm manic. I think I've been manic (both hypo and full) far many more times than I realise as I've been so damn preoccupied with the not sleeping, the giggling and the racing thoughts to notice! (I'm currently depressed and boy do I know it!)

It's like I don't know untl I'm going into it or am in it. Sometimes it's not until someone else calls me on it. The longest I've gone is (I think) 5 days on a 1 hour nap. And that's medicated.

Stress is a big mania trigger for me. That's something I've only recently discovered. The bigger the trigger, the longer and harder I go. But as I become more educated and aware of what is going on with this the more I notice when things happen. The more I notice the cause and effect?

Maybe I am not making sense. I am sitll sick and very tired right now and should probably wait untill I am more rested to type. Sorry if I am moaking no sense.

That heralds hypomania for me, it's what happened when I came off of Remeron (I was using it as a complement to Cymbalta). Strangely (unlike my normal euphoric hypomanias), I got a nasty feeling of akathisia, sort of putting it in a mixed state category.

So I'm back on Remeron, and sleeping normally, akathisia gone.

lack of sleep is a big warning light for me... though as Maddy said, I frequently don't recognise that I'm moving into a manic or mixed episode until it's pointed out to me. I'm trying to be more aware of what's going on so I can call my pdoc in time, but it just doesn't work that easily.

Archived