Boyfriend Smells TERRIBLE!

hiya-

my boyfriend has some kind of body chemistry imbalance or soemthing, because even right after he gets out of the shower, he starts to smell like BO. i can handle it, but it is gross and obnoxious.

i've kind of gently brought up the topic before in a round-about way, and he said that he doesn't even bother to wear deo because it doesn't work anyway. AGGGG!!!!

i suggested a couple of brands that my brother, dad, and ex husband used to use. i don't know if he has decided to actually use deo, because i haven't noticed a change.

1.) how do you bring it to someone's attention that they smell bad and not look like a mean idiot?

2.) how do you get them to probably go to the MD to get a RX for stronger deo?

my blankets smell like him for days after he's in my bed. as i said, i can deal with it, but i'm not a fan and i'd like him to reform his ways.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! THAT is gross!

Have you seen that deodorant that is a crystal? Seriously it's a chunk of salt type stuff. You used to have to get it at health food stores, but now i've seen it at regular drug stores... it doesn't stop the sweating, but it neutralized the odor. I used it for years.. in fact, I oughta go back to it. It's better for your body to be able to sweat.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

there is a health food store right up the street from his house where they sell those crystals. i should try one myself! i've always wondered if they work. but with your recommendation, i'm sure they work. you wouldn't go around smelling like he does (at least i hope!) ;)

Really strong body odor can be cause by medications or a vitamin deficiency or, much more serious, liver or kidney issues. It may be a thyroid issue. It may be inherited.

Him going to the doctor might not be a bad idea. If he has had anything else going on that has been bothering him or even things that really didn't bother him but may just seem a little different than usual even if he thinks it isn't important, he should mention that too as well as changes in diet or lifestyle. [work, sleep, environment and also mood]

It's probably not serious, but it is a good idea to err on the side of caution. If he can tell there is something, than his body might be a bit off in functioning in one way or another.

It also depends on how he smells. Like, if it just smells like sweat- like a 'good' sweat [i know that might sound funny] as though he just worked out, or sour or some other way. These are all important things to talk to his doctor about.

Again, probably not anything at all. But it's a good idea to see the doctor if your body is doing something abnormal. If not for that reason, there are actually options that a doctor can give him [such as a prescription] if he is bothered by it at all.

Other than that- sometimes people just have a stronger smell than others.

Try here: Sweating and Body Odor:MayoClinic

LR-

this is strong in a BAD way! yes, he needs to go to the doctor, but he won't even go to the doctor about his migraines, how am i supposed to get him to go to the doctor over BO? he'd probably be too embarrassed to even do it.

i'd personally be embarrassed if people thought i smelled bad, but that's just me.

this is outside the range of normal sweat or normal bo. this is into abnormal territory.

he should get checked out. i'll tell him that. in the meantime, i'll try to get him to use the crystal

i still have no idea how i'm supposed to just bring this up with him. "so, honey, what about that BO we were talkign about?..." ;)

It may be true for him that deodorant doesn't work. It may be good for you to ask him directly what he has tried, so that you don't go through the equivalent of "oh but have you ever tried meditation for bipolar?" If this is something he has been dealing with for a long time, it is possible he has tried a variety of options, even up to going to the doctor already and finding that what he was prescribed didn't help.

Sometimes you need to instigate a talk with someone rather than waiting for a convenient thread in the conversation. Clear communication can work much better than subtle hints.

If he really won't go to the doctor about it, you may have to choose between accepting it and breaking up with him. You can't make him go to the doctor.

i think he'd respect my open and direct communication on the issue, and if i pressed enough probably mention it to the doctor when he goes about his migraines (sometime this week he claims).

i wouldn't break up with him over smelling bad, but it would put a damper on things ;)

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! THAT is gross!

Have you seen that deodorant that is a crystal? Seriously it's a chunk of salt type stuff. You used to have to get it at health food stores, but now i've seen it at regular drug stores... it doesn't stop the sweating, but it neutralized the odor. I used it for years.. in fact, I oughta go back to it. It's better for your body to be able to sweat.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

it's the only thing i use. one bar lasts soooo long too! i've had mine two years, so don't worry about the slightly high price.

and as for bringing up his BO... i have no clue cuz i have almost no tact *giggles*

sometimes my boy gets really depressed and doesn't shower and i have to tell him he's getting funky. but i'm not necessarily nice about it. "when's the last time you showered??" and he'll usually laugh and ask "do i need one?" and i say yes. but he doesn't normally stink. he has a nice odor. it actually takes three or four days to smell.

i would think constant stink could be a health issue. what is his diet like? i know people on atkins smell HORRIBLE! and people who are really ill smell. and people who eat too much meat with too little veggies (hence the atkins issue)....

abifae

when my Secret runs out i'll get a crystal for myself and try it out! and i'll get him one too, maybe an early yule gift?

as far as i know, he doesn't have any health issues and doesn't follow an atkin's diet or anything. he seems to just eat everything in sight, so i guess that rules out atkin's.

he blames it on a chemical or hormonal issue. i have no clue! there is the crystal optiion, the deo from the MD option- moer drugstore options- i don't think he's looked at enough options. something has to work, at least a little bit or to some extent. i can't believe they haven't said anything about it at work (though for some unknown reason you really can't smell it unless you're right there).

Archived