I've slipped back into my numbing depression. I have several hours of free work time ahead of me now (I'm at work but the afternoon has been cleared of responsibilities aside from independent working) only I can't get started. I can't think straight. I am full of tears ready to burst out. I am just tumbling through those old familiar old feelings. My desk is a nightmare of papers. I am sitting in the dark, listening to familiar songs. Comfort songs. All I can think of is crawling under my desk, curling up in a ball and hiding out. Why is my Effexor not helping anymore? Anyone else get days like this when you think you've been making brilliant progress?

Bern

i have those times too, when it seems like my symptoms have "broken through" my meds and it is like a levy giving out. the pain comes rushing in and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it.

how long have you been feeling like your effexor isn't working? just today, or has it been a pattern? if it is just today, and tomorrow you're fine again, then i wouldn't worry. if it has been going on or continues, then i'd start talking about a med change.

do you have an emergency plan for times when you feel like total crap and want to hurt yourself? you should talk with your pdoc about ways you can cope with these feelings when they come up.

loon

It's only just started now. Though it occured to me this morning, when I woke up with those familiar cramps, that it might just be PMS related. Even so, I feel like I am backsliding. The only plan I have in place is to let my husband know how I am feeling. He then does what he can.

I've slipped back into my numbing depression. I have several hours of free work time ahead of me now (I'm at work but the afternoon has been cleared of responsibilities aside from independent working) only I can't get started. I can't think straight. I am full of tears ready to burst out. I am just tumbling through those old familiar old feelings. My desk is a nightmare of papers. I am sitting in the dark, listening to familiar songs. Comfort songs. All I can think of is crawling under my desk, curling up in a ball and hiding out. Why is my Effexor not helping anymore? Anyone else get days like this when you think you've been making brilliant progress?

Bern

I have severe depression myself. I took Effexor for five years. In order to get to therapeutic effectiveness I had to take 300 mg q.d. By the end of my Effexor run, I wasn't sure how effective it really was. It did prevent my from achieving orgasm, which is always nice!

;)

My new shrink took me off of Effexor and started me on Welbutrin. I was hesitant because I knew others who had terrible times with it. Fortunately, my shrink made a good call. Wellbutrin has a more stimulative effect, helps me more with attention deficit, and now the orgasm is no problem!

I get days like this too. It helps me to pray about it, I am a spiritual person and I feel I get strength from just being in God's presence and admitting how weak I feel at that moment. It also helps to make a list of things to do and tackle the smallest on the list. Opposite action helps me a lot, rather than hiding under the desk, putting some upbeat music on and making a start on things, however massive a task that feels. But some days are just duvet days and there is nothing I can do.

Keep an eye on it and see if you need another pdoc appointment to discuss your meds.

Pilgrim - Effexor has killed my orgasms too. It's annoying because how is a person supposed to feel less depressed when the really fun stuff is absent.

Karuna - thank-you for your prayer advice. I should pray about it. I have been making a "To Do" list and attempting to complete it in segments everyday. It's trying.

I avoid up-beat music because it leaves me feeling worse when it is gone ;)

Maybe I should give it another go. *sigh* Work soon, if i don't leave now I'll probably be late...

Bern

Me too, Bernard. The weather in my part of the world is a big factor. And hormones. I'm doubly depressed because I've had almost a year of unmedicated remission. I don't want to go back on ADs. I'm hoping it's just a brief phase. I hope it is for you, too.

It's only just started now. Though it occured to me this morning, when I woke up with those familiar cramps, that it might just be PMS related. Even so, I feel like I am backsliding. The only plan I have in place is to let my husband know how I am feeling. He then does what he can.

Um. Time to call doc? Husband maybe not the one to rely on like this? This is a complete outsiders opinion, based on 3 sentences, so don't take it the wrong way or feel the need to explain to me why you do this. I am positive it is valid, but couldn't help stating what I thought was the obvious.

PMS does this shit to me too - and I never seem to realize it until afterwards. And it's every month. Pdoc has mentioned upping meds right before, but that seems wrong to me somehow. How about BC pills? They help some people with hormonal changes and hurt others. I'm still up in the air.

Yeah, I'm on the pill but my Doc doesn't think it is really working properly because I seem to be rather hormonal. He has upped my Effexor again and I am supposed to be following a strict exercise/diet regiem (though I am having trouble with it). Doc thinks that perhaps I am anxious about my new job that starts in January etc. Maybe. I mean, moving home from Canada is what flipped me over the edge to begin with so, we'll see. But I will be seeing my doc a bit more than usual from now on.

Bern

Archived